UKC

Help - recommend climbing holds?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Nao 25 Jul 2006
Hi -
I'm looking to get a selection of climbing holds for a little bouldering wall. Nothing too fancy and nothing too hard.

Can anyone recommend some good holds? (Metolius? Other?)
And does anyone know any good deals on holds, preferably that can be ordered over the web? Not looking for loads - probably about 20-30, though could be persuaded to buy more probably.

Also - any tips on route setting when you only have a small space to work with? It's not overhanging, just straight up and down. I really want something for stamina rather than problems at this point. I looked at the Moon board but mine isn't going to be overhanging or that densely populated. Just an interim solution for bimbling until the proper wall can be built!

Thanks,
N
Sharket 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Nao:

the holds on ebay are apparently rubbish (that's according to mates who have made their own woddies in their garages/sheds etc)

i think the ones you can get in packs from cotswold and snow and rock aren't bad.. i know the ones entreprise supply are great and if all else fails make some of your own!!
 salamandra 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Sharket: hi, there are so many adverts on ebay for sets of climbing holds..from 10 to 120 pieces including fixing..

some tips for setting route:
stamina on bouldering wall means climbing in circle...using smaller holds at the beginning and when you feel pumped use bigger holds but...keep climbing! /at least 1.5minute/

Hjonesy 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Nao:

can you not pick some up at places like Rock On at Mile End?
 bluebrad 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Nao:

http://www2.indoor-rock.co.uk/

It is run by dinkypen who posts on here occasionally and sells holds by all the major manufacturers - they (she) can be contacted via a link on the webpage.

bluebrad
 JimR 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Nao:

I got some from www.customholds.com

good value
 salamandra 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Nao: i do have some tips for setting routes and boulder problems /downloaded from internet/ if u want to /and have some of my experience too due to setting routes on climbing walls/

what we usually did on bouldering wall for building up our stamina was, at the end of session we have chosen some holds in slightly overhanging part and climbed 2 minutes in a circle...then 2 minutes rest and again..this 10 times a we were completely tired and pumped
i do have other tips...just ask
 salamandra 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JimR: CUSTOMHOLDS have some adverts on ebay too
 JimR 25 Jul 2006
In reply to salamandra:

I know .. but someone also said Ebay holds were rubbish .. the ones I got from customholds were very good value
Pinky 25 Jul 2006

There are a few people and a few companies selling holds on ebay.

Some are using the same wording as others so they can look very much like other e-bayers.

It is best to look at who the e-bayer actually is and not to judge all ebayers from an experiance with one.
 arctickev 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Nao:

Nao I've got a big box of hold in my loft that may be of use to you. A complete mix of shapes and sizes but all high quality branded holds and I'm only up the road in South Croydon.

Buzz me a mail if your interested.

Kev
Sharket 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Pinky:
>
> There are a few people and a few companies selling holds on ebay.
>
> Some are using the same wording as others so they can look very much like other e-bayers.
>
> It is best to look at who the e-bayer actually is and not to judge all ebayers from an experiance with one.

yup fair enough point... but at least be careful
Wes 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Nao:

www.moonclimbing.com

OP Anonymous 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Nao: TBH if it is vertical it isn't going to be much use for anything and won't help for stamina. It needs to be 15 to 45 degrees overhanging. I know, I built a vertical one and very soon it was useless. Even using little crimps to make it harder made little difference. The only work out I managed to get was dry tooling with leashless tools on Pocketz holds from www.holdz.co.uk.

Honestly take my word for it, build it overhanging or don't bother. It will be a waste of time effort and money otherwise. I spend ages building mine and it was just that. It doesn't take much more effort to build a small frame to make it overhanging.

FWIW I had Metolius, Entreprises, Moon and Holdz holds on my wall. My favourites were the ones from Holdz.
 Phil Anderson 26 Jul 2006
In reply to Nao:

Mind wandering during the revision Nao?

Are you still on for Thursday?
fish08 26 Jul 2006
In reply to Nao: Another nod for customholds. I'm pretty sure I have met the guys who own it, and I would recommend you give them a shout for any advice you need on what is suitable. As their name suggest they can also do up some special holds just for you.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...