UKC

Almscliff Picnic 2003?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JoH 25 Jul 2006
Think it was 2003? Can anyone remember the date? Also the Caley one (date needed) where Sutty got mistaken for Michael Winner by that drunk bloke outside the Indian and we all camped in a feild across from the roadside boulders iirc.

Ta
 Wingnut 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:
Can't remember the date, but can remember the Almscliff meet. Still got that sigg bottle which someone round the campfire declared "looked far too new" and started headbutting to put some dents in. Can also remember mooning Tim TG for some reason.
OP JoH 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Wingnut:

They were about the same time though? Was it part of the same 'picnic'?

I remember someone falling on top of Tim TG

David Riley 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH: Indian was Almscliff.
 Wingnut 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:
>>I remember someone falling on top of Tim TG

I thought Tim was on top? ;

(If it's the one I'm thinking of, then it was Tim who came off a route at Almscliff, pulled his only piece of gear out, and landed on Vlad. Obviously didn't squash her too much since they still ended up getting married.)
OP JoH 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Wingnut:

Thats right, twas the other way round LOL!

Thanks David.

Went somewhere remote to a pub too. Across the moors. Was that another trip? I remember meeting Dominion there and I arrived with Gingerkate. Age is getting the better of my memory methinks.
 sutty 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

Caley campsite was Stubbings farm, Greengrass and JayH got together there, as did Matt and Cleddy, they will know the date.

Thing across the moors, was that the lofthouse meet in the centre where GK made a humongous curry or something. Dominic and me were stargazing on the way back from the crown pub, we had the top room and declared it a smoke free zone so the three of us that smoked went outside for cigs.
That was a November meet, there were bonfires in the dale as we drove up.
OP JoH 25 Jul 2006
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to JoH)
>
> Caley campsite was Stubbings farm, Greengrass and JayH got together there, as did Matt and Cleddy, they will know the date.
>

Good grief thats right.

> Thing across the moors, was that the lofthouse meet in the centre where GK made a humongous curry or something. Dominic and me were stargazing on the way back from the crown pub, we had the top room and declared it a smoke free zone so the three of us that smoked went outside for cigs.
> That was a November meet, there were bonfires in the dale as we drove up.

Not sure about the curry. Oh hang on, I stayed for only the first night as I had to catch a lift back home the next day (or did I fly?)- think you guys went on to stay in a bunkhouse? Was it something to do with brimham?
 gingerkate 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:
Hello! Stuff I remember is:
... that I wasn't there for most of it... think i went down to london demonstrating against the war... that must date it precisely.

... that John Rushby took off all his clothes. Well how could anyone forget that...

... that Cleddy met Matt, and lurve blossomed.
 gingerkate 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:
Hang on, there's two meets getting muddled here. It was teh lofthouse one where you arrived with me, Jo. Not the almscliff one. I think.
 gingerkate 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:
ps Yes, checking wikipedia the almscliff picnic must've been 2003 for me to be on the anti-iraq war demonstration. Around easter time I think?

2pints 25 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:

Enough of all this nostalgia!

Let's have another one in September when it's cooled down

Wingnut 25 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:
And Almscliff was the one where Rubbishy got his kit off. And then a bunch of us started dragging him round the field for some reason.
OP JoH 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Wingnut:

Hiya!

yes I remember tales of JR taking off clothes. I had left though. So that was Almscliff too. No I didnt arrive with you at Almscliff, thats right. That was with someone else.

Almscliff and Caley were together - easter'ish you reckon?

Lofthouse was seperate - November. I stayed at yours for one night! Oh hang on, I remember how I got there now so I'll email them to find out the date!

MJH 25 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to JoH)
> Hello! Stuff I remember is:
> ... that I wasn't there for most of it... think i went down to london demonstrating against the war... that must date it precisely.
>
> ... that John Rushby took off all his clothes. Well how could anyone forget that...

That doesn't narrow it down I'm afraid.
OP JoH 25 Jul 2006
In reply to MJH:
> (In reply to gingerkate)
> [...]
>
> That doesn't narrow it down I'm afraid.

roflamo!!!!!!!

sutty 25 Jul 2006
In reply to Wingnut:

got dates from old threads, Lofthouse Nov 2002, Caley, Sept 2002.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=25861&v=1#349428

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=29026
 gingerkate 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:
Yes, almscliff and caley were together. I _think_ it was easter ish... spring ish anyway.... maybe pre-easter.

I think lofthouse and brimham were together.... I think you weren't there for all of the lofthouse one? Though I can't remember why not or how you left or anything.

Yes, lofthouse would've been later the same year. September I think? I remember you in my kitchen, and finding me the slow wipe speed on the volvo
 gingerkate 25 Jul 2006
In reply to sutty:
LOL, so I had it completely wrong!!! November feels much like spring... err...
 Wingnut 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:
Almscliff was 2002.

(One of) the organising threads:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=23651&v=1#317420

And a chilled aftermath:
http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=25861&v=1#349388
OP JoH 25 Jul 2006
In reply to gingerkate:
> (In reply to JoH)
> Yes, almscliff and caley were together. I _think_ it was easter ish... spring ish anyway.... maybe pre-easter.
>
> I think lofthouse and brimham were together.... I think you weren't there for all of the lofthouse one? Though I can't remember why not or how you left or anything.
>

All solved now thanks to Sutty's incredible search powers (I put in Almscliff picnic and came up with nothing)
but I think I could only manage a couple of days as I was cadging lifts up and down with a mate.

> Yes, lofthouse would've been later the same year. September I think? I remember you in my kitchen, and finding me the slow wipe speed on the volvo

Rof. Thats right..ah all excellent memories. If only I could get them in the right order, at the right places and at the right times. Still - makes for some interesting recollections :-D
In reply to JoH:

Alsmcliff (27-29/9/02) was the big fire, Rubbishy strip show, me cracking my ankle bone, or, as GK reported at the time:

"As of 1.30 a.m, when I left the campsite:
scenes of wild mayhem, male nudity, women pulling clothes off men, male nudity with pants on the head, early-nighting couples, gazing into each others eyes couples, friendly cuddles, group hugs, toproping discussions, and a lovely big fire :-D
And if you think I'm going to tell you who did which, you have another think coming
Bet you wish you'd come now, don't you? :-D"

"Status report 2.00 am, picnic site:
Our intrepid band retreat to their beds, after a rather more sedate evening. Several of them have injuries sustained at Almscliff: Captain Paranoia and Rubbishy both limping after falls, and reports that Vlad the Drac was stunned after forming a comfy landing for Tim the Grey when his gear ripped "

Apparently, we spent some time in The Junction pub in Otley.

For the Brimham picnic (8-10/11/02), we stayed in Lofthouse bunkhouse, and the events I recall are the dwarf, Mark's ankle injury, my extended solo (ahem) on White Rose Flake (leading to http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=29259), the flood in the Birch Tree, Kate's huge turkey curry, wandering through the caves at Stean Gorge, and lots of hugs. Probably best summed up by Dom's report:

http://www.dpmason.demon.co.uk/

O Mighty Tim 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH: I gave you a bloody Wild Country tee shirt at the Almscliffe bash.
Ungrateful sod! You give a woman the shirt of ya back, and does she remember it? Huh.
Last time I drive 600+ miles to deliver baby clothes!

How is the wain, btw?

Back to Almscliffe.
I remember sharing several very nice whiskys, including a decent bourbon.
TTLL in The Junction, and chatting up Cleddy for a factory visit when she worked for Williams GP team.
Later watching her n Matt asleep in front of the fire.
Watching a number 8 Rock peel in front of my eyes as I fell off, then sliding downhill on one shoulder having flattened Pennie.
Being shown how to jam properly by an elderly well built gentleman with a gammy shoulder, and a possibly gangrenous foot. NOT my finest moment!

TTG
OP JoH 25 Jul 2006
Ah memories

Thats right, your ankle CP! I missed the strip show as I was one of the early retiring couples at the time

Wee one is fine cheers Tim. Growing at an alarming rate. Leads E3 and boulders like a demon. Joe?

Who was it that spent a fair while wrestling through a chossy chimney thingy at Almscliff? Hosey and?
 Fiend 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

September 2002. I got done for speeding on the way up, and "rumbled" by the aforesaid Mr Winner in the Indian.

Were you the Jo who was then going out with Chris Fryer and in a very tired/grumpy state at Caley?
In reply to JoH:

> I missed the strip show

Don't worry; you didn't miss much...
 hoseyb 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

That would have been Greengrass in all probablity

wrong jo fiend.

one of two trips I made from N wales, and dinged my car both times.

Maybe one day I'll venture again, but N Wales is to good.
Maybe if Jon and Jay hold my hand (i understand you're weird)

Hose
 hoseyb 25 Jul 2006
In reply to hoseyb:

Or Is it

(real hair and got married Jo?)

OWLB
OP JoH 25 Jul 2006
In reply to hoseyb:

I am the Jo that was extremely shy NOT grumpy (ok possibly hard to tell the difference I grant you) at Caley and Hosey, it is I - the original Jo my OWLB
Tim, the Grey 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH: Yup, wife, mother, and Almost Sane now. Until someone offers 2004 Co op Ruby Cabernet smelling of mail polish...
The old alky comes out witha vengance. She said she'd poured it away, while Nick n I were off buying lots of 2003...

Joe is an accomplished couch mantler and stair downclimber. He also heel hooks like a a bast*rd to get out of his cot!

Night, sleep well.

TTG
 JayH 25 Jul 2006
In reply to JoH:

Almscliff was Friday 27 Sep 2002. I remember the date cos my youngest nephew was born that night. Nothing to do with also coincidentally meeting Jon..

<<whistles innocently and fools no-one>>

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...