UKC

County Donegal

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Juicy Lucy 02 Aug 2006
We are visiting the above for the next two weeeks from 12th August. Hoping to do some climbing I have climbed severe/hard severe but, partner climbs harder. Mixed with walking and biking. Contacted the local climbing club but any other knowledge welcomed! Many thanks can't wait to get there
Juicy Lucy 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Juicy Lucy: Ok bumpty, bump! Will do this till the 12th!
 Mick B 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Juicy Lucy: You`ve probably already seen this but just in case...http://www.climbing.ie/routes/index.html
Juicy Lucy 02 Aug 2006
In reply to Mick B:

Cheers we have! Contacted the local club for more info climbing looks good, thanks for your help. :}
anonymoss 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Juicy Lucy:
If you're operating at upto VS/HVS (grade spread appears to be in lower range), then Gola is a pleasant location. There's a regular ferry across there now (cost is €10 return and sails from Magheragallan pier near Derrybeg; ring 087 6607003) and plenty of water is available near the harbour (you'll need water containers though!). Cliffs are excellent granite (IMHO a little short - upto about 30m or so in height), a kind of mini-Lundy experience.

I thought Malin Beg was a little dissapointing.

Dunmore Head has some good climbing, but again its a little short.

Weather permitting, the Poisoned Glen is meant to be very good.

Great county and, surprisingly (at least relative to climbable cliff heights) it has the largest sea cliff in europe (2nd largest in the world) - sadly, its not very climable!!
Nick Colton 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Juicy Lucy:
This is a useful site for climbing in Donegal http://www.colmcilleclimbers.com/
 Chris the Tall 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Nick Colton:
Bit of a hijack, but does anyone know if any climbing has been done on Slieve League? It supposed to be the highest sea cliff in Europe (just under 2000ft), but it's mostly steep grass & choss. However I'm sure some of it looked solid - seem to remember a reddish wall about 400 foot high on the right hand side. There's nothing on the colm cillie site, as far as I can see.
fish08 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Chris the Tall: Been intrigued by that question for a while. On the Bunglass cliff side there is bound to be some great routes, but its probably a question of access. I heard a story once of people doing some deep water soloing on that side, but I haven't seen it myself. Beautiful setting.
Nick Colton 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Chris the Tall:
Hi Chris, there is a forum on the Colmcillie website - you could ask an open question on there. Alternatively, Pete Smith, who runs the site is very helpful.

All the best,nick
 cragrat 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Chris the Tall: Calvin Torrans is supposed to have tried it but bailed off because of general looseness...
Juicy Lucy 03 Aug 2006
In reply to anonymoss:

Cheers for that looked at Planet Fears website like you say Gola looks good!
johnscholes 03 Aug 2006
In reply to Juicy Lucy: Is County Donegal near Maryburgh ?
Ha,ha.
Now off to pub.
Flock
Juicy Lucy 03 Aug 2006
In reply to johnscholes:

Let me think is County Donegal near Maryburgh?

No!!!! Hope you had a great night
johnscholes 04 Aug 2006
In reply to Juicy Lucy: Top Night, Just got back !!!
flock
Juicy Lucy 09 Aug 2006
In reply to anonymoss:

Got the guide book and looks fantastic, some nice long routes! Hoping to do some biking and walking to.
 niallG 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Yes...weve all looked at it. Calvin started up it and backed off it citing that it was choss (as far as I can recall)...and that just about says it all does'nt it. Sorry to disapoint...cause it looks great.
 Chris the Tall 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Niall Gault:
Cheers for the info. When I took up climbing my one of my mums biggest fears was that I'd climb on there - she grew up near Ardara and had a long standing phobia about the place. I'll reassure her that it won't happen.

I really ought to dig out the photos I took of it. Mind you that was 23 years ago!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...