UKC

French mountain guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 06 Aug 2006
What are your views and experiences of them?

As fo me, I only have utmost praise and respect for them especially when one guide took the time to return my Passport to me after I left it in the Gouter hut by mistake in 2000. As a token of my gratitude I gave him a diecent bottle of French red wine, and not the 50 pence crap either.
pbjohansen 06 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming:
All the mountain guides I have ever had the pleasure of knowing have been fantastic, be it in France, Austria or Iceland. I'm no hotshot climber and am willing to pay for a good guide in order to secure my (and my wifes) peace of mind.
They are patient, pace themselves according to my stamina, willing to teach and are very thorough when it comes to security. They never look or act bored even if some of the easier climbs must be boring to them. I'm very impressed with their professional attitude. OK, there must be some bad apples out there, like in any profession, but I guess I've been lucky. I also tend to use the same guides year after year and get to become friends with them.
I only hire IFMGA/UIAGM qualified guides, but that's maybe me just being overly cautious.
It's not cheap, but I'm not a member of any mountaineering club, so I work hard during the rest of the year to be able to afford them.
I'll be in Chamonix in three weeks and will be using the same guide as last year.
Per
OP The Lemming 08 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming:
bump
Simon22 08 Aug 2006
In reply to The Lemming:

Most I have met are too good looking, tanned and climb too well.

Apart from that I think they are ok.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...