UKC

The OMM start list.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Crow 07 Aug 2006
It is supposed to be published today isn't it?

I can't find it on the OMM site yet have I missed something? It's not on Sleepmonsters or something is it?
ceri 07 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow: s'on jolee http://www.joelee.co.uk/2006/omm/ommentrieslist.pl
im in, but really late start times, shame, i dont want to run in the dark.
OP The Crow 07 Aug 2006
In reply to ceri:

Thank-you.

I'm in and so is someone else who I was supposed to check...
OP The Crow 07 Aug 2006
Any of the usual suspects want to confirm if they're running?
 CENSORED 07 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow: Well, I got in!
Father Faff 07 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow:

Oh shit I got in (1101 in the Long Score) - better start doing a bit of training I suppose.....
dinkypen 07 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow:

I am in class B with Ayshea - pref was for class C but hey ho, it will be a challenge!
 Simon Caldwell 08 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow:
Long Score again. This year's target will be to come above half way, which we failed to do last year but quite some way.
 lummox 08 Aug 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell: Long Score as usual. Bring on the pain ...
 CENSORED 08 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow: This is my first one, will they also publish a 'Finished list'?
 Heike 08 Aug 2006
In reply to CENSORED:
Yes, you get a certificate and a report with all finishers / non-finishers and their times send through the post and you can check on the evening of the event on the web.
 CENSORED 08 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike: Well, I'm hoping that I'll make both lists!
ceri 08 Aug 2006
In reply to CENSORED: what class you in? we're in C, hoping to move up on last years position by being uninjured and even, if very lucky, fitter!
In reply to The Crow:

Long score. Late start both days. Will definitely do better than last year!
 CENSORED 08 Aug 2006
In reply to ceri: C Class as well, just hoping to finish.
 Heike 08 Aug 2006
In reply to CENSORED:
You'll make the list even if you don't finish (as long as you start....) But I guess you meant that you wanted to finish....!
Good luck & maybe see you there
ceri 08 Aug 2006
In reply to Heike: but lots of people dont start, due to injury etc, so even getting that far is not a given!
charliewimbledon 08 Aug 2006
In Medium Score this year - let's hope the knees hold out this time!

Need to get a lighter weight tent this time - what are people taking.

Also must get stronger balloons for those wonderful balloon beds... I woke up with only 3 left in the Polaris earlier this year which made for a nice night's sleep!
ceri 08 Aug 2006
In reply to charliewimbledon: he he he! rob always takes plenty of ballons for his bed, and we have toyed with the idea of bartering them for food...
we have a lovely tent, a marmot home alone, or "the yellow slug". Single skin, weighs about 1.4kg. it's slug-like design means it is very good in high winds, but its single-skin-ness means that in damp, non-windy weather it gets a lot of condensation.
In reply to ceri: I've given up trying to explain to shop assistants why I want 100 balloons to sleep on... its usually quickly followed by just pay and get out my shop you weirdo! I've heard the KIMM Sub 1000 Tent is a decent buy - that weighs in at 970g... but fairly cramped. I saw something resembling a turquoise slug two year's ago - was wobbling quite a bit in the wind though.
In reply to charliewimbledon:
The KIMM tent isn't available any more, I think they're working on a replacement but no idea if it'll be in time for this year.
We use a TN Laser, which is less cramped than it looks if you sleep head to foot, and there's lots of storage space for wet kit and cooking in. A bit of a faff to put up in such a way as to stop it flapping in your face if windy though. I have no idea how people manage to fit two in a Laser Competition, all I can assume is that they're either very heavy sleepers or can still run after a totally sleepless night!
In reply to Simon Caldwell: Couldn't find the TN Laser on Google but found this interesting looking thing. Supported using lightweight treking poles or suspended from a couple of trees.

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/isroot/terranova/pdfs/Argon900.pdf
In reply to Simon Caldwell: Ah you mean TNF! Found it
OP The Crow 08 Aug 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I want one of these http://www.hike-lite.co.uk/acatalog/Mountain_Equipment_Ar_Ultralite.html especially since my partner will definitely be using poles...
In reply to The Crow:
I considered one of those last year, but the weights claimed by ME were significantly wrong (a few hundred grammes heavier than advertised), and when I wrote to them to query this (and ask them the price and weight of the optional poles), they didn't bother to reply. So I got a Laser instead.
ceri 08 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow: two ladies using this at the lamm on the tent's first outing had a tent collapse in the middle of the night.
 lithos 08 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow:

we are in reseve list for medium (16)
(got offered the long but waste of time as fitness leveles low this year (injuries and laziness)).
Short Score was our 2nd choice, didnt get offereed that but if that list reduces we'll try and go for that.

In reply to lithos:

If you haven't done the event before, I personally would take the place. The one extra hour won't be all that if you're not fit/injured anyway; plus finish this year and your odds are better for a place next year. That said I know a few who always turn up and cadge a place they usually went for anyway. Happy trails!
 lithos 08 Aug 2006
In reply to brt:

thanks for that good points,

m thinking is that we wont be fit enought to do much other
than head for the overnight camp, and threrefore not
really get much out of it

id rather do more complex course without huge distance..

but i take your points

thanks
In reply to lithos:

Having always done the long score, last years was a huge laugh as five months previously my leg was in a full cast. I took it for what it was, left most of the nav'ing to my partner (not his usual role - it showed) and used a few different tactics - route choice was vital as I limped around most of it. Enjoy whatever you decide.
 CENSORED 09 Aug 2006
In reply to ceri: If you and Rob are travelling from the 'Pool, we could car share?
Father Faff 09 Aug 2006
In reply to ceri:

Saunders Jetpacker - 1.4kg and roomy enough to cook inside. Mine has lasted over 15 years now.
ceri 09 Aug 2006
In reply to CENSORED: Sorry- probably going from derbyshire, but if there's anyone in derbyshire wants to share a lift... (At least it's not as far to drive as the lamm was!)
 Simon Caldwell 09 Aug 2006
In reply to lithos:
You're pretty likely to get in if you're on the reserve list (you're already up to 11th, presumably due to people opting for long score).
 Paul Atkinson 15 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow:

eek!

The programme's online and as suspected / feared the event is in Galloway in the savage hills around Newton Stewart - the previous KIMMS in these hills are still spoken about with a hint of fear in the voice by the people I know who were there. They look so small and gentle on the map but, as everyone found at Langholm a couple of years back, the going is really rough and the navigation can be very challenging. Snow at midcamp again??

mmmmm my fav'rit

Simon Caldwell 15 Aug 2006
In reply to Paul Atkinson:
We were walking up there at the end of May (when it snowed), and can certainly confirm the existence of the promised tussocks and bogs!
dinkypen 15 Aug 2006

Hmm, yes, got the bumph through the post this morning and read with dread 'wiry moor grasses which raise themselves in tussocks above waterlogged peaty ground'. Ugh. I think we should form a club - 'masochists R us'!
 sutty 15 Aug 2006
In reply to dinkypen:

Tussocks, well If that was the general ground on the route I would withdraw. Mabe they should have an overseas one thay makes you go through spiky scrub and cacti.
OP The Crow 15 Aug 2006
In reply to dinkypen:

Not received my stuff yet, but thanks for scaring me with the detail...
In reply to sutty:
> Tussocks, well If that was the general ground on the route I would withdraw

Luckily most of the hills are tussock-free, being covered in vast expanses of deep heather =:-0
In reply to The Crow:
> Not received my stuff yet,

It's available online:

http://www.theomm.com/documents/omm_prog_06.pdf
 sutty 15 Aug 2006

I could cope with miles of kinder and bleaklow peat hags and groughs but coming down the deer park over the tussocks at Lyme Hall was often a nightmare aftar a long days walking.
 Duncan Irving 15 Aug 2006
In reply to Paul Atkinson:
>
> The programme's online and as suspected / feared the event is in Galloway in the savage hills around Newton Stewart - the previous KIMMS in these hills are still spoken about with a hint of fear in the voice by the people I know who were there. They look so small and gentle on the map but, as everyone found at Langholm a couple of years back, the going is really rough and the navigation can be very challenging. Snow at midcamp again??
>

We had a walking weekend around there last summer and I thought it was very rough ground given that it's furth of the Highlands. Running it, maybe in the dark, is going to be a real treat for my first OMM!

We have room for two from the Manchester area if anyone wants a lift.
ceri 16 Aug 2006
In reply to Duncan Irving: yes, we're thinking of investing in a second good headtorch. We're among the last starters on c, so will be leaving for the 40 minute bus journey at 10, not starting until 1040 at least, so almost certainly running in the dark at least bad terrain favours navigators not runners!

dinkypen 16 Aug 2006
In reply to all:

Anybody heading up from the Sheff area or anywhere en route from Sheff to the borders? I have just read that cars with single occupants will not be admitted to the event centre!
MC 16 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow: are you sure that treking poles are allowed in the rules?
In reply to dinkypen:
> (In reply to all)
>
> Anybody heading up from the Sheff area or anywhere en route from Sheff to the borders? I have just read that cars with single occupants will not be admitted to the event centre!

If you haven't already sign up on the OMM forum, they have a "lifts offered/wanted" bit. If you're struggling nearer the tim we may be able to squeeze you in, but it's a two seat van, so highly dodgy. Other option is go up and arrange a pick up nearer the venue... which I'm sure you've thought of already. Good luck.
 HC~F 21 Aug 2006
In reply to MC: I've used trekking poles for the last two years, and seen many others with them.

Dinkypen: - You realise you and Ayshea just *have* to beat John!

I got my pack when I got back from the Alps and started laughing as I read out the bit about the terrain and navigation. Clare just gave me a funny look and said I was mad.
 Flatlander 21 Aug 2006
In reply to Helen ~Taylor:

Sounds very peaty,lots of woodland around there and nice hills to run up and down, and of course the nasty weather
 MJH 21 Aug 2006
In reply to Flatlander: the terrain sounds pretty horrendous...doh
johnsdowens 21 Aug 2006
In reply to MJH:
> (In reply to endless winter) the terrain sounds pretty horrendous...doh

but at least it's in the hills right beside my fieldwork site, so plenty opportunity to explore!
 Raph B 21 Aug 2006
In reply to johnsdowens:

Exploring won't help you John. Which class are you entering this year?
 MJH 21 Aug 2006
In reply to johnsdowens: You lucky b*gger! Let us know what it is like.
johnsdowens 21 Aug 2006
In reply to Raph B:
> (In reply to johnsdowens)
>
> Exploring won't help you John. Which class are you entering this year?

C again, with a friend from school days, so plenty of competitiveness to make sure we train for it this time!

Are you in this year?
 Raph B 21 Aug 2006
In reply to johnsdowens:

Well let us know what the terrain is like, don't know the area at all. Am also in C, hoping to finish this year!
dinkypen 21 Aug 2006
>
> Dinkypen: - You realise you and Ayshea just *have* to beat John!

Hah! I think we will be pleased just to get round injury free!!!

HC~F 21 Aug 2006
In reply to Raph B: I've walked in that area before. Not many footpaths, quite tussocky. Lots of rolling hills and not many features for navigation. Mentioned where it was to my Dad and he said 'Oh, it wasn't very nice underfoot there, was it?!'
I'm pretty confident with my nav, but hoping The Crow is too, just to make sure!!
 HC~F 21 Aug 2006
In reply to dinkypen: It would be lovely if I could tell him he'd been beaten by a couple of girls though .
And in the week previously I'll just drown him with red wine and whisky while we're away - give you a headstart .

johnsdowens 21 Aug 2006
In reply to Raph B:
> (In reply to johnsdowens)
>
> Well let us know what the terrain is like, don't know the area at all. Am also in C, hoping to finish this year!

I've not been into the hills yet, but I'm working on a peat bog nature reserve in the middle of the forest park - I trust it will be out of bounds!!!! Lots of tussocky, thigh deep molinia grass, with up to a foot deep ditches between the individual tussocks... I think I'll be taking my birthday trip there to wander round the Merrick and surrounding hills.
dinkypen 21 Aug 2006
> (In reply to dinkypen) It would be lovely if I could tell him he'd been beaten by a couple of girls though .
> And in the week previously I'll just drown him with red wine and whisky while we're away - give you a headstart .

I'm liking your thinking!! Still, we have got just over 9 weeks to get in some serious training, so miracles could happen
 MJH 21 Aug 2006
In reply to dinkypen:
> (In reply to Helen ~Taylor)
> [...]
>
> I'm liking your thinking!! Still, we have got just over 9 weeks to get in some serious training, so miracles could happen

Sh*t is that all - better get me skates on....

I think the miracle will be needed.

In reply to The Crow:

quite looking forward to it this year, after a year up here running around and lots more mountains I feel well and truly ready for it (famous last words!).

Now all I have to do is make sure we beat Ayshea and Penny! My only real goal is to complete the B class!

not too far for us to travel either now which is quite nice . . .
 HC~F 21 Aug 2006
In reply to Eskdale massive: Who are you running with, seeing as your other half is putting in a girlie team to beat you and john?

running with my younger brother Dave, he's a good runner but not so good on the nav, so we'll see . . . who is John running with?
 HC~F 21 Aug 2006
In reply to Eskdale massive: Martin, same bloke as last year, don't know if you've met him? I don't think he really knew what he was letting himself in for last year, and they ended up dropping out because of injury anyway.

Not sure how much training you get from sitting on a boat for over two weeks, I reckon Ayshea and Dinkypen have a chance . Are you B as well? Is there some in-house rivalry to be had there?!

Yeah I've met Martin. We dropped out of the KIMM last time due to a bad dose of the Flu before we even got there, so dropping out from injury would be a step forward!

Yeah, we are both running B Class so it should be good, no real competition I don't think we are just both looking to stay injury free and finish.

I got ayshea a fancy running trainer/gadget for her birthday and she is out nearly everyday trying to beat her last time now, bad idea I think if I stand any chance of beating her!
dinkypen 21 Aug 2006
In reply to Eskdale massive:

> I got ayshea a fancy running trainer/gadget for her birthday and she is out nearly everyday trying to beat her last time now, bad idea I think if I stand any chance of beating her!

Don't worry, you can count on me to be her handicap! I need to get my ass out on some hill training in the Peak. Looking forward to coming up to see you guys on the 9thl. Shame the pooch isn't a bit older and able to cope with a longer walk. Roll on this time next year!
Anita 21 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow: Just got back from Norway to discover my partner and I got in too : )
Doing short score which, after last years disasterous tactics (stupidly far with not enough checkpoints and getting in late) on the Sat, and us both being fitter we can surely only do better!
Not been down that way but already dreading tussocks remembering 2005 LAMM, urgh..
 HC~F 21 Aug 2006
In reply to dinkypen: >Looking forward to coming up to see you guys on the 9th.

Oooh, I'm sensing a hardcore training weekend in the Lakes . Are Ed and Andy going to stay in and bake cakes?

I am supposed to be out running too, but the cake baking sounds like a better idea!
dinkypen 21 Aug 2006
In reply to Eskdale massive:

I don't think Andy will be able to join us for a days running on the hills as he has been out of action for a while. Plus, the pooch will need attending to. We will have to find some way for them to entertain themselves while we are out!
David Rainsbury 21 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow: I got the bad news, I have 2 months to get fit for Galloway. No backing out now. DR
 Rob Laird 21 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow:

Sounds like it's going to be 'interesting' for my first event. Better get back to the training!!

Rob
In reply to dinkypen:

well there's our dinner that'll need cooking for one!
 ando227 22 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow: go to www.theomm.com then "the event" and you will find the link there
 net 22 Aug 2006
In reply to The Crow: We're doing medium score. Only other time I've done the KIMM was the short score 2 years ago in Brecon, which was generally very pleasant. I have a feeling this one's going to be somewhat different... :os

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...