UKC

Napes Needle-Slackline

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 2pints 09 Aug 2006
A mate of mine was talking about it, can't believe he did it!

Check it out!
youtube.com/watch?v=uy7dD-gy230&

Well done fella!
 Sean_J 09 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints: There's one across the entrance to Ilkley quarry as well. Is it Pete or John that you know, 2pints?
OP 2pints 09 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints:

I know Jon, worked with him at Halifax call centre.

You in Leeds Uni MC then? Gonna try to join hopefully (Despite not being a student...) The leg should be fixed and back to normal by the time uni term starts!
 Sean_J 09 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints: Weird coincidence; I know John through the uni club. Do you also know Liam?

Yes, i'm at Leeds Uni and will be in the club for another 3 years now, so i'll no doubt see you around. We've got a fair few "members" who aren't students any more, some never at all, so you'll fit right in. Were you the one who fell off Fluted Columns a while back?
 Al Evans 09 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints: I'm dubious about this.
1/ Why is such a definitely cool and impressive performance so badly shot?
2/ Why did he not complete the crossing?
But mainly, it was just so appallingly shot.
OK, I'm gonna say I think its either a con, which I feel is more likely, or an appallingly recorded stunt!
OP 2pints 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Sean_J:

I've met Liam a few times yeh, been hiking with him last summer

And for the record, I *DID NOT!* fall off Fluted Columns!

I cleanly lead that one!

Had my accident doing something on the right hand side, slight cock-up...

OP 2pints 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

I doubt it's a con Al, I know the lad in question and I would trust his integrity enough to know that he did do it.

I think it's more the latter.
 Ben C 09 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints: Did your mate find some cut ropes up there at all on Needle Ridge ? (2 x 30m )

Im also concerned with the people who slack line across Ilkley quarry and the potential danger to tourists. The Council may take a dim view of it and this may threaten climbing at the area.
 Sean_J 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

1) It's not badly shot; the problem is that it's been compressed for broadcast on UTube, if you look at other UTube videos they're just as poor quality. i'm sure there's a high-quality master out there somewhere.

2) Of course he made the crossing; I know the guy who did this and he wouldn't lie about it. Have seen him juggling clubs on a line while standing on one foot, he's quite good...
OP 2pints 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Sean_J:

He seems pretty into his slacklining doesnt he?!

He's always trying to get me to do it, but alas my balance is bad enough on the flat and level never mind on a bloody tightrope!
Ian Hill 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans: badly shot whatever...I mean why record it in such a way that you can't tell it's Napes Needle!
 Sean_J 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C: In reply to Ben C: The same danger as dropping gear on people's head when climbing you mean? i think you should be more concerned about the chav shits who throw stones at climbers every now and then.

He does have a safety line to the slackline, it's his life on the line (literally) so i'm sure that it's virtually impossible for the line to fail.
 Al Evans 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Sean_J: No Sean its badly shot, sod all to do with compression etc, the angles are all wrong to prove integrity. He needs to get a better camera team if he's going to bother with one at all. Otherwise why bother having one, it demeans his acheivement.
Dont bother at all or get it reasonable!
It seriously is appalling.
Plus why didnt he complete the crossing? Madness!
 Al Evans 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Ian Hill: Exactly Ian!
brothersoulshine 09 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints:

Nice vids. I may have to go and put a line up at Ilkley when there's no grockles about. Can't believe I've never thought of it before to be honest.
 Al Evans 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Sean_J: Point is, it was a potentially great film for the making if he could really do it, thrown away, its performance art, if he wants to repeat it I could make a great little film out of it, as I know loads of other people on here could, seems a shame to throw away a classic opportunity with such a crap film.
 Ben C 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Sean_J: But climbing a wall does not entail tourists walking directly under. Dont get me wrong I think its a cool thing to do. I just think some judgement at the time of day should be adhered to. This is going on the group I personally saw doing it (not from Leeds).

As for the line failing do you know the forces put on it with a dynamic fall ? Ask a rope access IRATA guy what they think of tyrolleans and a like.

As for the chavs well unless the government start a cull not a lot can be done. It has always worried me for the 20 years I have climbed there ! Let me assure you the Council will lump it together and I like my soloing there
 Sean_J 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans: Know what you mean; must admit, I was slightly disappointed when I saw the footage for the first time, compared to how good it could be.
 Matt_b 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans: I know Pete and it's definately no con. We've talked about this for years and I've chuffed he's finally sucked it up and done it.
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

Al, it wasn't about the video - I shot it as an after thought after we'd both crossed the line - in the excitement of the moment after 24 hours of rigging we forgot that Pete had it with him. We have 3 rolls of photo's from good angles that are due back to from developing soon. The first shots will be posted on www.outdoorwahehouse.co.uk shortly!!

It should also be noted that all safety has been taken very seriously with no anchors placed on the top block, or it's suture with the shoulder. 400' of static rope was used to form the tensioned anchors and a further 250' of webbing was used for directional anchors. The line itself was a threaded 1" line with a double untensioned back-up, with a leash made with 2 rap rings.

As for the walk itself: Pete walked to the needle, stood on it and composed himself for a minute, before full manning the line ONSIGHT. I made one journey from the ridge to the needle after 3 caught falls - I made an attempt at returning, fell catching the line before traversing back to the ridge under the line. This was my first highline and I was so elated to have done it I would have needed half a day to compose my-self again.

After this I took a bit of footage of Pete playing on the line - sorry if I'm not the best video man in the world. We've been asked to go back and film it professionally - but there's other projects to be done!..

Peace out
Sharket 10 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints:

cool, some other great vids there too...

was enjoying that til i realised i needed to do some work!
 Jon Greengrass 10 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints: Nice idea, shame the video was shot from such a crap position.

i'll give it 1 out of 10
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: Hey mate, that explains a lot, but I meant what I said it's performance art and deserves recording in a quality way for all time.
Not talking about ego here, like Drummonds performance art often seems to be (love you Ed) but more like some of Redheads exreme projects (which I have filmed). I accept that he is more concerned about his own performance than other people seeing it, and some would argue that a la Duchamp 'it is art because I am an artist, and I have selected it' which is bollox, but there are also artists who do not realise they are. I think this boy is like that, if he wants to make it ephemeral, than that is the statement of an artist in itself and is his perogative, what I dont get is this halfway house?
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans: Cheers bud - you lost me with all the art stuff though. My interest lay in negotiating the void and the state of mind that allowed for this to be done.

The photo's should be really good - they were taken by Barnaby Whiteside and his portfolio's are awesome. See Langdale guide for a shot!.. I suggested to him last night that he should do an exhibition at the Kendal Film Festival this year - not sure what he thinks to the idea?
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Matt_b:

Are you Jaz's friend Matt?
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon:
> (In reply to Al Evans) Cheers bud - you lost me with all the art stuff though. My interest lay in negotiating the void and the state of mind that allowed for this to be done.
I know, its a candidate for 'pseuds corner', problem is art often sounds like that,
I stand by what I say, slacklining to Napes Needle is terrestial news broadcast video, Sky at least, are you very rich, can you afford to turn down the money if art is not enough?
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: Does he need an agent
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C: The rig was BOMBER - I have done my research.
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans: He's currently my press agent - I'll ask him though! What could you do for him as his agent?
 Morgan Woods 10 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints:

is it just me or are slackline vids just a boring pile of twaddle?
 Matt_b 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: Not sure who Jaz is. I know Pete from Uni.
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: I know how to prepare and present a proposal and target a TV company with it.
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Matt_b: Ah, part of the Lancaster crew!! I hear you boys (and girls) got quite good on the line
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans: I should put you in touch with him - how do I get your contact details without splashing them across the net?
 Ben C 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: Im sure Dan Osman thought that too
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C: what happened?
 Matt_b 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C: Dan Osman left the gear out for a month. Cheer up you miserable old git.
 Ben C 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: he died !

But I have no problem with you doing it at Napes or anywhere. I am merely pointing out my concern for people doing it over the top of Ilkley quarry. Already one person on this thread has said cool didnt know u could do it there. how many more will think cool lets go do it. its one thing to put a slackline low down between trees but as Im sure you know its another to put it up high !
Ian Hill 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: would you go for it without the leash as the climax of a TV prog?

good effort whatever!
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: You could try via UKC e-mail, but it seems unreliable at the moment, I'll tey and send mine to you.
 Ben C 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Matt_b: rather miserable n old than young n dead ! So you think he didnt check it again ? My point anyway was that Osman had done many similar stunts and was probably the leader in such activities yet he messed up. nothing is 100% bomber
Clauso 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon:

That video makes you look as though you have extraordinarily long arms. Good effort on the balancing act! ... I reckon that you must have gibbon blood in your veins.
 Matt_b 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C: You can't tell someone not to go and solo at Stanage because you fear other people may do that same. At the end of the day it's down to the judgement of the person under taking the activity.

Our sport is free from legislation and full of potential for people to push themselves pyschical and mentally. What your saying degrades this freedom.
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ian Hill:
> (In reply to Slacker-Jon) would you go for it without the leash as the climax of a TV prog?
>
> good effort whatever!
If I was filming I would insist on a leash, whatever the producer wanted. I have a story about filming Big Ron soloing live on TV and having an argument with the director about the fact that on the rehearshal Ron clipped a bolt with a sling then unclipped after he had done the crux (Darius). Ron agreed to do the transmission without it for an extra £50, I was mortified, I had got him into this and was 15ft from him, filming live TV of him doing a serious move that we had originally planned for him to clip the bolt on. It was one of the scariest moments of my career.

stu 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon:

That is pretty bloody cool regardless of the video quality!

Stu
 Ben C 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Matt_b: and you have missed my point !
i solo at ilkley regularly and do not wish to be stopped from doing so and i do not wish others to.
I am saying that people should be cautious that the powers that be do not take a dim view to the acitivity, as i stated earlier in this thread. For example climbers are advised about their activities at Gordale in the guidebook re: tourists, weekends and trad routes.

I didnt know slacklines were part of climbing ?!
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans: send your details to Stephen Reid at Needle Sports, he's recorded it for the Fell and Rock and can forward details to Barney and myself.
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C: Well, probably in a similar way to bouldering!
Ian Hill 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans: only £50!
 Jon Greengrass 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ian Hill: that were a lot of money in 1870
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ian Hill: He was already on £350 + expenses, was still fairly unknown and it was about 30years ago.
 Ben C 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Ben C) Well, probably in a similar way to bouldering!

Ha ha yeah next snow boarding down slimey grit will be
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C: With regards to slackline being part of climbing - I didn't start this thread - I got a text from 2pints last night. I just logged on to make sure the story was right.

I think that you soloing is stupid personally and I don't advise it. We've all done it - it's not big, it's not clever and could end in tears. 2pints fell while leading at Almscliff and broke his pelvis and has to be content for dreaming about climbing for the moment(and he was lucky!). My question to you is - do you have cones and do not cross lines below where you solo at Ilkely and do you tell everyone who see's you not to copy you unless the understand that hitting the ground from more than a metre or 2 is going to at best hurt a lot?

Anyone who is going to go highlining should understand all of the rigging properly - If in doubt then keep well away from the sport - you will get hurt.

Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C: Just checked Dan Osman - I thought I was right that there have been no deaths from Highlining - he was doing live body rope testing and a knot failed on a 300m rope!.. I wouldn't advise that either.

Ian Hill 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: was it you a while ago who I mentioned the In Pin on Skye to wrt slacklining? If you got TV interested you could get in to do that to...even more impressive than the Needle!
 Ben C 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: Oh dear. My point is that it is much easier for tourists to stand under a line than stand directly below a route. It is not what I think or you but what the authorities think.
what has your friend at Almscliff got to do with it?! A guy i used to instruct with is dead from getting hit by an avalanche. climbing whatever it be is a dangerous sport. i'm not saying dont do it just dont upset the nanny state.

Highlining is rigging intensive and my point is that a lot of people do not know what they are doing. i am expressing concern from my experience as a climber, outdoor instructor, IRATA qualified in the past and now lawyer so stick that on your slackline n wobble
 Ben C 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: yes i know he was not highlining. you seem not to advise a lot of things. I assume you do advice highlining though ?!
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ian Hill: I don't think so - I'll check pictures - You need to have quite sheer drops on either side.

I have an even better project though - will probably wait 'til next year I think as Pete's off on holiday for a few month's soon.

Not too sure I want TV there anyway - in an ideal world I'd be with one or two friends and no more. It's a very introspective experience.
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ian Hill: Not as famous though!
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: What about Rivelin Main Edge to the Needle, very accesible for TV, still not as famous as NN though.
Ian Hill 10 Aug 2006
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
Rivelin has been done about 3 years ago - don't know the guys name - he's a friend of a friend. Very nice spot though and the HVS on the needle is perfect
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ian Hill: "sheer enough?"

What's on the other side though?
 Alun 10 Aug 2006
In reply to all:
Slightly off topic:

I think it's worth clarifying some points about Dan Osman. He died because, on his last jump, he took-off at a different angle to what he had designed the rig for. As a result (and this is hypothesis from experts at Black Diamond, I think), his jump line fell across a retrieval line, the friction of the ropes rubbing against each other caused them to melt through.

The rig was working fine for the regular take-off angle - Osman's mistake was to jump at an angle that he hadn't designed the rig to cope with.

main source (among others): http://outside.away.com/magazine/0499/9904terminal.html
Bambi 10 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints:

Nice one well done to him! Who is it by the way?
Billy-the-goat 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Alun: Must be alot of differing stories out there to be hounest. I heard he didn't stretch the rope properly before the jump. Othersw have heard different stories. It doesn't make any difference to the outcome. One thing I've not seem is the actual film of it to make my own conclusion of all these stories. Then again, they probs wouldn't release such a clip would they. Or have they?
 london_huddy 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Bambi: he posts as NorthTrials on here sometimes.

Nice work lads.
In reply to 2pints: Thats pretty bloody good stuff. I had a go in france for a week or so and failed completely. I do have a good sense of balance, well thought I did till I tried it. All fun, good stuff lads!! Stuff the quality of the film, its not important unless you went out to make a film, good fun!!
 jkarran 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C:
> (In reply to Slacker-Jon) Oh dear. My point is that it is much easier for tourists to stand under a line than stand directly below a route. It is not what I think or you but what the authorities think.

And easy enoug for someone to move them on as a belay might do were a tourist to tand under a route.

> what has your friend at Almscliff got to do with it?! A guy i used to instruct with is dead from getting hit by an avalanche. climbing whatever it be is a dangerous sport. i'm not saying dont do it just dont upset the nanny state.

You're sounding like the 'nanny state's' mouthpiece I'm afraid.

> Highlining is rigging intensive and my point is that a lot of people do not know what they are doing. i am expressing concern from my experience as a climber, outdoor instructor, IRATA qualified in the past and now lawyer so stick that on your slackline n wobble

No more 'rigging intensive' than leading a route, you need to learn the skills and make sure you understand what you're doing or it gets messy. Sounds like these guys know what they're doing anyway.

Technical question: The untensioned, doubled safety line mentioned in someones earlier post. What do you use, 10mm dynamic? I can't see any extra lines in the vid although I presume they're there from the different behaviour of the two leashes.

jk
 Ben C 10 Aug 2006
In reply to jkarran: why do i bother. fine dont worry about it mate. obviously you have lots of experience
 jkarran 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C:

> (In reply to jkarran) why do i bother. fine dont worry about it mate. obviously you have lots of experience

I'm not sure why you bother (or are bothered)?

I don't mean to be offensive and hope I wasn't, I'm just saying that I don't share your concerns about the Ilkley line, I don't see it as any more risky than climbers or stone throwing chavs or the broken glass on the floor or the slippy green rocks, just another (easilly avoided) hazard in the quarry.

As for lots of experience... I have next to none but would do whatever I felt was needed to learn before putting my neck on the line same as any other sensible person.

jk
 Alun 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Billy-the-goat:
> One thing I've not seem is the actual film of it to make my own conclusion of all these stories.

There is no such film, unless you're cynical enough to believe that there's a big cover up somewhere.

With respect, if you are interested you should you read the article in the link I provided in my previous posts, which not only answers a few questions but gives some insight into Dan Osman's character and personality.
 Ben C 10 Aug 2006
In reply to jkarran: i agree that if done properly it is no different than climbing etc.
The reason I think people should be cautious about when they do it at Ilkley is because:

1. It is high profile you can easily see it from the car park
2. It is "new" to the authorities climbing has been around a long time. the powers that be generally see things as a danger because they dont ubderstand it.
3. the Council have been active at Ilkley removing the stone from the top of Wellington Crack. Clearly they have a duty of care to the people at the quarry.
4. a lot more people go climbing and have the knowledge about it. the loads put on two points like slacklines and tyrolleans are much higher. at an angle of 120 degree the load on each anchor is 100% of the weight added. that is sombody who weighs 150kg will put that much force on each anchor. increase the angle it gets worse then add a dynamic fall onto the system, as when falling off it goes up more.

I would suggest that a line above the slackline would be a much safer option and if on a pulley would not hinder progress as much.

And yes i am offended that you think i am the mouth of the "nanny state". i love my climbing and the freedom it gives and i do not want those f*ckers who think crossing the road is the most dangerous thing we should be doing from stopping me doing it at Ilkley !
Allister Clark 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C: not heard from u for a while! how ye doin!
In reply to Alun: I've read loads on him in the past and am not realy interested in the guy anymore. My point being that so many contradicting stories go around about such a character, eventually someone like him, no doubt a great influence on extreme sports has become a bit mythical. What do you believe and does it matter. In effect, he has become a much bigger personality dead than alive. Usually the case though isn't it.
Also, I do think some true friend must have a film, somewhere. No conspiracy, just respect.
 Ben C 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Allister Clark: getting annoyed as you can see above !! not bad been to wales a couple of times Tremadog n Pass. went up route on Crib Goch on tuesday n did The Cracks on Dinas Mot was that the one you or your mate ended upside down on on that mantle ?

what are your movements/ work for the next few weeks ?
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: I've called Needle Sports, Stephen isnt in until Sat, are we on for a project? I'll come to UK if its a goer, and I'll talk to Steve on saturday I hope. e-mail me a number I can talk to someone on.
Al
 jkarran 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C:

Ok, apologise for offending you, not my intention, but still stand by my comments. We'll have to agree to differ.

jk
 Peter Rhodes 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Ben C:

WOW! I've been seeing out of interest if a thread like this would pop up. Jon and I were specifically not going to put one up, and word of mouth has been kept fairly limited. I put the video up to show other slackliners on www.slackline.com. The American side of this game is far more advanced and I thought they would be interested in our walks.

I have to say that we considered all the "bad" aspects listed above and made everything as safe and proper as possible.

Theres too much to go in to above, but I hope no-one is offended by our walks. Anything other emotions or questions that it has raised are of less concern to me. If anyone has any real issues feel free to email through this site.

Highlining is great, Jon and I felt completely safe on our lines, and when walking, one can feel completely free. I have to say that I'd be less inclined to hike back to the Needle for some cash and a shot on Sky News when I could go to the back end of nowhere with 2 good mates and stand in the void.

Cheers

Pete
 Al Evans 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: Got your mail, will reply with news,
Al
In reply to Slacker-Jon: so hen does slacklining become tight rope walking then. Do you have a certain spec for one to the other? Interested as I've just had a zoom around some sites and see lots of lines seem to be slacker than others!
Slacker-Jon 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Slacker-Jon: No official tension then? I dunno, I tried it in france on the camp site in Verdon and thought it was mega hard the further away from the middle I got. I think maybe different slackness makes a difference, i.e the slacker the harder it is to control. This doesn't conform to my problem getting further away drom the middle where it would be at its wobbliest but hey, it was a week with some german and french guys more into this than climbing so maybe they just had it set to a hard level, or maybe I'm just crap, most probable.
 DTurner 10 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints: pete rhodes did it clean first time he rules and performed some sweet tricks meanwhile.
brothersoulshine 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Billy-the-goat:

Slacklining is not hard. The first time you try it it feels impossible, but twenty minutes of getting a feel for it and you'll find it's really not difficult to walk along one.

Getting your centre of gravity close to the line is harder, but just walking along one and turning round (when it's a couple of feet above the ground) is pretty easy.

I imagine it's a bit harder doing it high up.
 Enty 10 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints:
> A mate of mine was talking about it, can't believe he did it!
>
> Check it out!
> youtube.com/watch?v=uy7dD-gy230&
>
> Well done fella!

well done?
That is a tight rope not a slackline. And what is the sling for from his harness to the line?

The Ent

In reply to brothersoulshine: well I tried about 12' between trees and couldn't get it, once away from the swinging in the middle. Highlining up, looking down all that way, no chance. And if people are so called soloing these things they are mental, at least with a rock face a gust of wind hits you and you've something to balance yourself off. These sites I've looked at must be just complete shut off mind control and alot less to do with anything else, A bit like meditation if you can do it properly.
 R Spisser 12 Aug 2006
Good work Curly Pete. Stoked.
 Garson 15 Aug 2006
In reply to 2pints: Awesome work pete

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...