UKC

POD Thin Ice/Golite Gust/Crux AK57?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robert Lyons 10 Aug 2006
Hi there all,

I'm wanting to lighten up my 45/50 litre rucsac that I use for winter walking, scrambling and climbing, as well as short 2/3 night trips, and have been looking at these 3 packs:

POD Thin Ice, Go-lite Gust and Crux AK 57.

Anybody have any opinions on them having used them? Especially interested in how they carry with about 30lb loads considering that they are so light in construction.

All opinions welcome. Thanks guys...
bongo 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Robert Lyons: pod all the way my friend, not used the go lite but i know the crux doesnt carry to well and the lid zip tends to burst, and pod sacks are just the bollocks !!! well made british kit really comfy and sits very well
Dr.Strangeglove 10 Aug 2006
In reply to bongo:
dont like the fabric, it hurts my eyes.
bongo 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Robert Lyons: still one hell of a sack ! get it out in the mud it'll soon dumb down
Oily wretch 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Robert Lyons:

I use the Gust for backpacking/camping, I think 30 lbs would be right at the limit for comfortable carry, I also have a Breeze and I would be happier carrying that much weight in it than the Gust. The Gust really comes into it's own in winter when the extra volume swallows all my bulkier gear.

The other two I don't know but the Crux came second in the latest Trail group test if that's any use to you.
 Merlin 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Robert Lyons: Im selling a crux AK47 in excellent condition. £75

let me know if you want it.
 chiz 11 Aug 2006
In reply to Robert Lyons: I've used an AK*37* for carrying around 17kg of rack, rope and bivvy gear, no problems for me, but then I dont mind teh lack of back padding, my larger sac is a POD expodition, but I always pack too much if I'm taking that, so its releagted to week plus trips

AK 47 should suit well? Easiest way of lightening up a rucksack is not to fill it!
chiz
 Escher 11 Aug 2006
In reply to Robert Lyons: I have a POD thin ice, it is an absolutely brilliant sack. I've carried 20kgs in it no problem at all. I've used it for multi day treks, summer, winter and alpine climbing. The fabric is absolutely bomb proof and there isn't a mark on it. It is very comfortable and carries very well. I have owned crux too which I liked but the POD is even better IMO.
 ian bryant 11 Aug 2006
In reply to Robert Lyons: can't comment on the others but bought a pod thin ice earlier this year and used it in the alps on a multi day rock route - fully loaded for the walk in and out and pretty weighty on the route too - it coped well and i was pleased that its lighter weight didn't mean i found it uncomfortable to carry big loads. it does have a few scars after having to haul it up a couple of pitches, but to be honest given its lightweight construction i expected much worse. i'd recommend it for alpine style climbing if you don't mind buying a new one every few years - i fully accept that it won't last as long as say my old karrimor alpiniste or the pod black ice.
In reply to Robert Lyons: get the pod. far bettyer design than the other two. the gust is mega overfeatured imo, as it weighs the same a 1kg cordura aiguille sack and has far more features, just uses stupidly lightweight materails.
duntelchaig midge 11 Aug 2006
In reply to Robert Lyons:

I spent about an hour recently toying between the Pod cragsac and a Millet Peuterey 50L. Despite being highly recommened to take the Pod, I went for the Millet. The Pod was only a tenner or so more so cost didn't come into it, the Millet just felt better on me.

So make sure you try before you buy and go for personal preference, not what others think. The Millet is slightly more padded and as a result probably a bit heavier but I have to say I don't feel it because it is so well balanced "on me."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...