UKC

Are TNF tents cr@p

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
mali 11 Aug 2006
was looking into buying one ,but there seems to be a few threads on this forum about quality ,and the odd review on the internet about leaky fly sheets ........whats your opinion???
Lem2 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali:

Never had one, but have seen quite a few reports of leakiness on this forum and elsewhere.
Me and the girly have a MacPac tent. It's not even one of the harcore ones, but it's a fab tent - almost close to the perfection that was my old Phoenix Phreerunner!
Ian Straton 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali: I have a TNF mountain 25 tent and it is fantastic! Warm but with plenty of ventalation options and good fabrics which ensure no condensation inside the tent. it also has to said that TNF's returns poicy is outstanding if you do have a problem.

I suspect that many of the leaking flys are because people haven't applied the slicon sealant properly (on their higher range models you have to seal the fly seams yourself, not sure why they don't do it in the factory, but they don't)
 Banned User 77 11 Aug 2006
In reply to Ian Straton: Same as you, no complaints at all.
mo 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali:

we've got a chatanooga for a few years now, has had all kinds of abuse, sun, rain, storm etc etc and it is good as new, no leak no tear. we're really pleased with it, it's set up in no time and roomy.
 Paul at work 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali:

I have had a TNF westwind for 9 years and i've just replaced it. It has been an excellent tent that has seen some extremes in conditions over the years. I would consider buying another one if i was doing as much backpacking as i was 5 years ago.
In reply to mali:

Had a TNF Bullfrog for about 10 years and it was fine. Had to seam seal the outer myself when I first got it. Now I've got a Vango and it's fine too.

Davie
 FrankW 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali:

Have used a VE25 in -35 degrees and about 70+ mph winds and had no problems other than tying it down with a climbing rope. Not sure about longevity though as I borrowed it for about a month. My only gripe was that I difficult to get in and out of, particularly when compared to my Quasar. With good care and maintenence it should see you right for several years, but like any equipment will depend on how much you use it and how well you treat it.
James Jackson 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali:

Lived in a mountain 25 in the Himalaya for 6 weeks and found it to be a fab tent.
Ian E B 11 Aug 2006
In reply to Ian Straton:
Hi,

Flysheets on TNF tents are mostly silicon treated on both sides which means they can't be heat taped. The reason for using this treatment rather than a PU coating is that the nylon cannot absorb any water, is slightly stronger (as it hasn't been weakened by the heat taping, stretches less when wet and does not allow snow to stick to it. I think the home sealing job is a small price to pay when you consider the advantages.
Some other manufacturers use PU on the inside and silicon on the outside which is one way round the taping issue. The groundsheets used to be PU coated.....not sure about the current models and I never understood why they aren't taped.
mali 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali: what about the cheaper 3 season tents ,rather than the mountain tents that have been mentioned,im sure it says on TNF website that the they are now tape seam sealed now aswell as being silicon fly sheets
Ian Hill 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali: I have two of their three season tents - a Roadrunner and one of their tiny one man tents...both are brilliant and surviving my use very well indeed, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone...

Ian
matt25 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali:
I have mates who have TNF tents who really like 'em. Personally I think there are brands which are better value but there you go. I'd second the person above who said Macpac tents are good. My Microlight is superb.
I aso have a Wild Country tent, W.C. are excellent value for money.
Matt
Ian Straton 11 Aug 2006
In reply to Ian E B: I quite enjoyed sealing up the seams (in slightly strange sort of way!) but I still don't see why TNF can't apply the sealent themselves? I would have thought it would benefit them through getting fewer returns...
matt25 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali:
The excuse given by some manufacturers is that the nylon stretches after the first few pitches, widening the sewing holes in the seams, thus the best time to proof is after the tent's been used a few times. Wether this is just an excuse or not is another matter...
M
m0unt41n 11 Aug 2006
In reply to mali: TNF VE25 bomb proof but some pretty quirky features - zips wrong way for sensible ventilation. Door access difficult. Ideal would be ventilation features from a MSR Fury, general design of a Quasar and strength of VE25.
 nikinko 12 Aug 2006
In reply to mali:

As I've said on other threads... I love my westwind! Warm and solid and relatively light for a two man 4 season tent. Although I think there are some lighter ones around now but 7 years ago when it was new it was the clear winner for me after lots of shopping around and hasn't dissapointed me. The only niggle I've had is that the pourch area although long does not have steep walls (can't think what the opposite to steep is this time of day) and so can be awkward for cooking in or storing lots of gear if the weather is rough. I've got round this though by once the tent is pitched taking out the front pegs from the ground sheet and rolling it back to the front pole, thus giving me the extra 4 inches or so.

Nikki
mike dunn 13 Aug 2006
In reply to mali: Terra Nova far superior to North Face in my opinion. TNF leak!
 dek 13 Aug 2006
In reply to mali: Used a 25 in the states during a howling gale/sandstorm in monument valley.the tent hardly budged, while other (cheaper) tents were flattened and the poles broke.Was well impressed, cant say about the waterproofing though?!
In reply to mali:

I have a TNF Mountain 24 and I cannot fault it. As has been said before "leaky flysheets" or in reality leaky seams are probably down to incorrect application of sealant.

Whatever tent you go for take a look at purchasing one from a Spanish or American outlet if you want to save a huge wad of money over the big British outlets. Even when VAT and shipping is included it can be a lot cheaper.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...