UKC

Jebel Toubkal in winter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hi All

Planning a trip to Jebel in first week of March next year.

Is there still a reasonable amount of snow cover at this time of year ?

Thanks IIM
PJH 15 Aug 2006
In reply to industrialiceman:
I was there around the same time a couple of years ago - along with quite a lot of skiers as well as trekkers/climbers. On Toubkal, there was snow for the last two or three hours up to the refuge and snow all the way up from there to the summit(in fact, it was knee/thigh deep, i.e. hard work, on the first section up above the refuge). We also had some fresh snowfall one night while trekking prior to doing Toubkal. Like everywhere else, snowfall varies from year to year but I was told you are pretty certain to get a fair amount of snow cover right through into April most years. So, would definitely recommend crampons and an ice axe for Toubkal summit day - no great dangers but there are a couple of places where you would not want to slip too far. All the snow makes for great views and scenery, though.
toiletduck 15 Aug 2006
In reply to PJH:
Did Toubkal in mid-april this year and we needed crampons & axe for the entire summit day from the Toubkal Refuge.
A month early and there should be loads of snow
In reply to toiletduck:

Fantastic - just what I wanted to hear !

Cheers for advice.
 joolskilly 18 Aug 2006
Any idea when the snows start, is it similar to the alps
 billy.granty 18 Aug 2006
In reply to industrialiceman: has anyone ever skied it from top down to the bottom of the valley towards imlil.

Hi,

I'm going out Feb 10th to have a go at Toubkal and Ouanoukrim. If I remember, then when I get back I'll post a quick report on conditions etc (though obviously it could change significantly in the few weeks between me getting back and you going out)
In reply to steve barnbrook:

Hi Steve , thanks , that would be really helpful. Cheers IIM
sonia 09 Sep 2006
> Hi All
>
> Planning a trip to Jebel in first week of March next year.
>
> Is there still a reasonable amount of snow cover at this time of year ?
>
> Thanks IIM

im planning on going late jan,but have found little about climbing the mountain without a guide.can anyone tell me much about it?where to stay and how to book refuge etc?
luke_brown 10 Sep 2006
Is anybody looking for people to join them? Really fancy doing this but don't have anybody to do it with. Any idea of costs inc flights etc? Also could probably only get 1 week off from work.
In reply to sonia:

Info

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=193

http://www.planetmountain.com/english/Snow/morocco/index.html

http://www.triotours.com/faq/ma/jebel-toubkal.htm (this is for summer but does give good info)

http://www.cafmaroc.co.ma/chaletlouka/chalet.asp (booking the hut)

Flights from Manchester with Tompson or Luton with easyjet to Marrakech.

Our plan is fly out to Marrakech friday (7am flight) - get taxi to Imilil. Depending on time, start to make trek and camp and some point along the trail or if going well make the hut @3000m (we will be camping).

Sat, Sun - Acclimatise and hope weather allows summiit attempt.

Late Sun or early Monday - walk out and get to Marrakesh

Tuesday fly back.

Regards IIM
luke_brown 10 Sep 2006
Can't believe how cheap the flights are! Last time I checked the cheapest I could find were about £250

Is there room for a small one in your group? What are the exact dates? Do you think a couple of days is long enough to get to the hut, aclimitise and have a summit attempt?
 Big Steve 10 Sep 2006
In reply to industrialiceman: Im going there next week, what can I expect? Lots of crowds? Rug sellers on the summit?
sonia 12 Sep 2006
In reply to luke_brown:
you are welcome to do the mountain with us luke.it would be 3rd week in jan as we are going to portugal and spain then to morocco.you could e mail me at soniabrentley@hotmail.co.uk if you really fancy going and we will see what we can arrange
luke_brown 12 Sep 2006
In reply to sonia: You have mail!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...