UKC

Trip Report - Northern Norway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 21 Aug 2006
 JoH 21 Aug 2006
OP TobyA 21 Aug 2006
In reply to JoH:

> Now tell me more about the Moomins :-D

I'd put up some pic but I think even the most liberal interpreters of "landscape" might not pass them! But if you are interested: http://www.muumimaailma.fi/englanti/index.html there's even some routes on the cliffs just around the corner from Moomin Island!
 JoH 21 Aug 2006
 tobyfk 22 Aug 2006
In reply to TobyA:

Cool stuff. Wish I could offer similar quality stories from my recent summer'ing in Squamish but 99% of holiday spent pursuing son on a mountain bike. However .. by coincidence I did read 'Comet in Moominland' to him.
 Nj 22 Aug 2006
In reply to TobyA: Oh you lucky man, so many days with no rain! That's probably the best spell all summer!! Sounds like a crackin trip, keep it up...
OP TobyA 22 Aug 2006
In reply to Nj: Thank Nj. I've heard its been a pretty crappy summer through out the north. The weather forecast both online and in the newspapers were all hopeless as well - either they were just wrong or the forecast for say Tromso bore no relationship to what was happening 10 kms on on Kvaloya! It made it quite difficult to plan. As I said we wanted to do Jiekkivarri by its SW (IIRC) ridge, but were never happy that we would get the weather right. As it turned out we could have done it on the Hollenderan day, but then we would have missed that which was a great day in its own right. We've been looking at photos on this: http://www.ii.uib.no/~petter/mountains/T5/Part-I/Jiehkkevarri.html and have decided we really need to do it as a ski traverse.

BTW - you obviously been to Hollenderan a few times. Did you walk in from the west side? It's got to be a better option than from Blåmannviksdal! We've heard Finns (who generally aren't too practiced at walking up big hills) saying it took them 1.5 hrs from the west - as compared to our 3, and I really think we were going pretty fast. And second question - are the any other 5+ or 6- routes on it that you've done and could recommend? We will do another trip there sometime but stay in the hut next time for a day or two.
OP TobyA 22 Aug 2006
Anonymous 22 Aug 2006
In reply to TobyA:

Hi Toby

I never knew that the Moomins were real. I´d always thought they were just characters in a book. Amazing!

Am on my way back from South America. Torres Del Paine just extraordinary, especially when you have the park like I did entirely to yourself.
Just hiking, not worth a trip report, but will post some piccies.

MikeTS
 Matt_b 22 Aug 2006
In reply to TobyA: Nice work. I presume there must be some pretty sweet stuff around here in winter? Although I'd imagine it being pretty hard to get to in winter...

Are there any huts around?
 Dave 22 Aug 2006
In reply to Matt_b:
> (In reply to TobyA) Nice work. I presume there must be some pretty sweet stuff around here in winter? Although I'd imagine it being pretty hard to get to in winter...

Its easier, because you can use skis.

Dave

OP TobyA 22 Aug 2006
In reply to Matt_b: Like Dave says lots and lots of ski mountaineering and also cascades. The snow in Lyngen doesn't always consolidate brilliantly and the rock isn't perfect so mountaineering can be picturesque but not always brilliant. See: http://www.ukclimbing.com/photos/search.html?text=lyngen&x=0&y=0 for more.

Winter routes are listed on the Kvaloya archive for Kvaloya where the rock is better, follow the links in my original post.
 Matt_b 22 Aug 2006
In reply to TobyA: Awesome. That page has some really inspiring stuff. Cheers.
OP TobyA 25 Aug 2006
In reply to Matt_b: No worries. I would say Lyngen might be better for ski mountaineering that winter alpine stuff, check the photos galleries for pics of Lofoten in winter (Dave Hunter and Erik B's pics) that looks really good for technical Scottish style climbing without skis being necessary. Better rock than Lyngen as well.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...