UKC

The KIMM/OMM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lummox 30 Aug 2006
only a couple of months to go... anyone know just how crap the terrain is round there- tussocks and not even a sheep trod or lovely grass and firetracks to lollop along ?
Anita 30 Aug 2006
In reply to lummox: Have a read of this - kind of sums it up:

http://www.runfurther.com/pdf/RingsofFire.pdf

In reply to lummox:

Lolloping probably won't be on the agenda for mortals!
OP lummox 30 Aug 2006
In reply to brt: hmm, thanks to both- looks like cursing and walking then, if not on the tops.
In reply to lummox:

I've switched some of my long run training to heather/bog/tussocking bashing around the Peak moors for similiar effect.
dinkypen 30 Aug 2006
In reply to brt:

What routes do you do in the Peak? I could do with some variety!
 MJH 30 Aug 2006
In reply to lummox: I love the range of the awful hand. Everything I have read or heard about the area sounds pretty awful...
OP lummox 30 Aug 2006
In reply to MJH: are you OMMing it young man ?

It does sound very Morrrdoorrr, doesn`t it ?
Anita 30 Aug 2006
In reply to lummox: Doing a spot of recceing for a hill relay round Comrie this weekend. Was warned that the bracken was chest height on the bit we're doing. I thought 'well at least the OMM won't have that problem!' Sounds like avoidance of fire breaks would be a good plan..
In reply to dinkypen:

Anything off-path on Kinder or Bleaklow if I have the time. If pushed, anything off the paths around Burbage/Houndkirk. It's usually a case of find suitable inclines... disengage pain sensor... run up/down/around... stagger home and die! Hyperbole aside I think it's a case of getting used to the terrain rather than it being a killer area.
 sutty 30 Aug 2006
In reply to dinkypen:

this area was the scene of some stumbling and grumbling but seems to have been tamed looking at it now, though going down the hill the tussocks may still be savage.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/interactive/360/lyme_park.shtml
 MJH 30 Aug 2006
In reply to lummox: Yes, I am doing the short score again with a new victim....sorry partner. As per usual I will be the weakest link....I think he was quite disappointed that we didn't get rejected from the short score into a longer course.
 MJH 30 Aug 2006
In reply to brt: Yep kinder is always a good bet for tussocks (and waist deep bogs)! Think I will have to get up there for a couple of weekends.
In reply to lummox: Yes, the damn event is unpleasant enough as it is, let alone shoddy terrain underfoot! I can't wait for two days of misery! Doing a training run in the Pentlands tonight.
OP lummox 30 Aug 2006
In reply to nickinscottishmountains:
> (In reply to lummox) Yes, the damn event is unpleasant enough as it is, let alone shoddy terrain underfoot! I can't wait for two days of misery!

True- but you get to watch orienteers in their weird get-ups, which is always amusing...
In reply to lummox: Yes! It is the very best oldstyle 70s luminous lycra retro throwback party on the planet!
dinkypen 30 Aug 2006
In reply to brt:
> (In reply to dinkypen)
>
> Anything off-path on Kinder or Bleaklow if I have the time. If pushed, anything off the paths around Burbage/Houndkirk.

Good point, I should really get off the nice comfy paths around Burbage (just 10 mins from me!).

> It's usually a case of find suitable inclines... disengage pain sensor... run up/down/around... stagger home and die!

The side of Higger Tor which faces the plantation will be good for just such an exercise

> Hyperbole aside I think it's a case of getting used to the terrain rather than it being a killer area.

I think you are probably right - getting used to being outside of your comfort zone is a real issue. And that applies not only to unfamiliar and difficult terrain but also to the weather conditions that we may have to contend with on the event. So much of it is psychological......
In reply to dinkypen:

We must be neighbours.
 Rubbishy 30 Aug 2006
In reply to MJH:

Range of the Awful Hand, aahh such memories. this was the location for the 1996 KIMM ( or was it 1997)?

About time I called it a day I think.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...