UKC

I, for one, welcome our eco protesters

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
prana 31 Aug 2006
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5300560.stm

i'd like to see what offensive weapons were confiscated

i really don't see the problem with storing bike locks in ostriches near power stations
 Jason Kirk 31 Aug 2006
In reply to prana:

so are you first on the list to have your power cut if they succeed?
 JWB 31 Aug 2006
In reply to prana:

So they demonstrated against nuclear in the past.......how do we generate power?

I reckon some people just like to demonstrate and be against society, they should put their energies into something constructive.
 Horse 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Jason Kirk:

Go hug a tree.
prana 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Jason Kirk: not to my knowledge, but your grandchildren could be the first on the list
prana 31 Aug 2006
In reply to JWB:
> (In reply to prana)
>
> So they demonstrated against nuclear in the past.......how do we generate power?
>
a good journalist would have asked 'david' this on the local news.
he would probably have argued for minimising energy usage, and exploring renewables fully before expanding nuclear
in fact i know he would, but much more articulately
 Jason Kirk 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Horse:

Hug a tree? More likely to chop the bugger down and burn it for firewood.

Jason Kirk 31 Aug 2006
In reply to prana:

That'll be a bloody miracle.

Kids are far too much bloody hassle.
prana 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Jason Kirk:
> (In reply to Horse)
>
> Hug a tree? More likely to chop the bugger down and burn it for firewood.

tree buggery is an option. a friend for life
Richardjbarker 31 Aug 2006
In reply to prana:

sodding new age hippies - because of them, some poor sod was probably being burgled and all the police were stuck at the power plant!
 Dominion 31 Aug 2006
In reply to prana:

> he would probably have argued for minimising energy usage, and exploring renewables fully before expanding nuclear

<cynic>
Bear in mind that "expanding nuclear" is only an option if you have a certain type of government, and isn't suitable for unruly, terrorist states, who will have to continue to burn fossil fuels, or have wars waged on them because they will use nuclear power for weapons development...

ie Nuclear may be an option for a very limited number of nations, and that isn't going to be enough to offset greenhouse emissions from the vast majority of the world's countries...

And that's just the political side, leaving alone the long term environmental problems of storgage, transport of nuclear fuel and waste, massive decommissioning costs etc etc...

</cynic>
Richardjbarker 31 Aug 2006
...... anyway what are they croaning about?
co2 emissions, higher temperatures.

has everyone gone completely barking? its no myth that the earth is due another ice age.... some time..... the earth does get closer to the sun on its axis every year, so what the hell, if it means i get a nice 30 degree summer every year, why do i care?

bugger the polar bears - bugger the penguins - They should evolve!
 smithy 31 Aug 2006
In reply to prana:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/5300560.stm
>
> i'd like to see what offensive weapons were confiscated
>
> i really don't see the problem with storing bike locks in ostriches near power stations

You never know, there might be more to it than just the ostrich.

Dominion 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Richardjbarker:

> so what the hell, if it means i get a nice 30 degree summer every year, why do i care?

Plus flooding, drought, mild winters (and more insects - see the "I, for one, welcome out insect overlords" thread http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=199601 ), disrupted weather patterns, freak heat waves, storms and all sorts of disruption. This August has been pretty atypical of normal british August weather. You can thnk climate change for this. We may get a lovely Septmeber and a mild October, but August has been wet and miserable for the most part where I live - and 10 yrs ago that would have been very unusual, but last year was pretty much the same, and so was 2004...
Dr.Strangeglove 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Dominion:
despite beging warmer than average this year, I have seen less flies than last year.
prana 31 Aug 2006
In reply to Richardjbarker: ahh, the 'impending ice age, so no worries' argument makes its predictable appearance
Dr.Strangeglove 31 Aug 2006
In reply to prana:
sometime in the next few 1000 years no doubt.
throw another log on the fire.
 Dominion 01 Sep 2006
In reply to Dr.Strangeglove:

Can't say that I've actually seen a wasp yet this year, either. August used to be the month for wasps. maybe it's too wet at certain times of the year, or they don't hibernate 'cos it doesn't get cold enough, then die 'cos they've got no prey?
Dr.Strangeglove 01 Sep 2006
In reply to Dominion:
I reckon the long cold winter did for a lot
the last few years have been unusual with mild winters
so lots of young uns surviving.
In reply to Richardjbarker:

Unlike when the etablishment protest (eg hunting demos in London) when of course no police are called away from there normal duties.

Ps not an anti hunt post (although I am) just a reposte to Mr Rjb.
In reply to GraemeA at home: Wxcuse speeling, sorry, bottle daed
In reply to prana: Is their spiritual leader Margaret Thatcher. The woman who massively reduced our reliance on fossil fuels? No? Thought not.

Seriousley I had hoped that they would be highlighting green issues ina positive way. Unfortunately it looks like the same rentamob who are in it for the fun of playing the game and not in results.

Hipefully the 34 arrested will be getting photo'd, finger printed and a mouth swab right now.
James Jackson 01 Sep 2006
In reply to GraemeA at home:

Ha ha! So the hunting protest was from the 'establishment' was it? MOre uninformed drivel.

Dominion:

Sample size of 3 - not statistically very significant. For the record, August has been lovely here in the South West. I'm not saying climate change isn't a problem (it clearly is and there's perr-reviewed well received research into it) but that reactionary tabloid (i.e. BBC News these days) figures and observations do no 'cause' any good.
James Jackson 01 Sep 2006
In reply to Fawksey:
> the same rentamob who are in it for the fun of playing the game and not in results.

I would wager some are these so called 'animals rights' activists and self-proclaimed 'hunt monitors' causing a nusence up and down the country too.
In reply to James Jackson: absolutely, I dare some among them are sincere enough. However a lot of the buggers just want to pick a fight with authority and like a good scrap with the rozzers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...