UKC

NEWS: The World's Biggest Bouldering Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 04 Sep 2006
In Sheffield and opening this coming December.

Full details in the news:

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Looks like the web site isn't operational yet, or possible not even registered.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - UKC:

It's working ok for me.

Anyway, looks nice!!! Good info on the website as well. Nice one guys.
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

Something's wrong. I am getting an unregistered domain on different browsers.

Me thinks there is a problem with the registration.

Anyone else getting redirected to - http://www.ukreg.com/ ?

Alan
 Iain Downie 04 Sep 2006

Yep, me too.

Iain
 soveda 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Iain Downie:
Nope, getting the correct site

Ade
 Bill Davidson 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Works for me.

I'm not exactly the most expert person at computers but if it helps, I'm using Windows XP and browsing using MIE.
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:

I don't think it has anything to do with the end users, I think it is a very recent registration which hasn't yet been picked up by all the domain name servers (or something like that).

Alan
OP Michael Ryan 04 Sep 2006

Works on both Safari and Firefox.
In reply to Alan James - UKC: If I follow the links from the news item I can access the site but if I type in the url I can't. Strange. Will phone the tech support people.
In reply to GraemeA at home: But more importantly what do you all think of our plans
 mwerner 04 Sep 2006
I can't access the site from any browser
 bluebrad 04 Sep 2006
In reply to GraemeA at home:
> But more importantly what do you all think of our plans

My head says that it is a fantastic idea as it is only 5 minutes from my house - my pitifully weak body says that it is a terrible idea.... 8-)

bluebrad

It look's like the most awesome wall I have ever scene - apart from perhaps some of the places in the Paris. I really like the interlinking caves (great for long circuits) and the comp wall looks first class. Nice idea with the slide for the kids boulder too. I hope that you can get all of those route setters in on a regular-ish basis, especially if you're giving them a plentiful supply of the newest and latest holds on the market. Regular competitions with live DJs etc would also be very good.
 Adam Lincoln 04 Sep 2006

Doesnt work for me on IE or Firefox
 Stu Tyrrell 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Adam Lincoln: Nor me?

Stu
 mwerner 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:
Are some people still able to access it?
Derbyshire Ben 04 Sep 2006

Looks and sounds fantastic Graeme - I wish you all the best of luck.

I was discussing your venture with a couple of mates over the weekend and could you put some thinking into some kind of flexible pricing?

Something like:

One hour - lunchtime sessions for those lucky enough to work nearby (not me)
Batch visits (12 for the price of 10)
Annual Membership
 sutty 04 Sep 2006

Works for me, you may wish to either change the spelling of your name on here or on the website.
graeme alderson 04 Sep 2006
In reply to sutty: I can't get on from here even by following the links.
 Enty 04 Sep 2006
Didn't work for me this morning but now it does, Win Xp and ie

The wall looks amazing, good luck with this new venture!
Will people from Lancs/Yorks get a discount and will Peakies have to pay double?

The Ent
 sutty 04 Sep 2006

> If I follow the links from the news item I can access the site but if I type in the url I can'

I followed the link as you did, not tried typing it in.
 mwerner 04 Sep 2006
Am getting this message now:
"An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator."

Looks good G, might be worth a wee visit some damp weekend! Does being a non executive director mean you get a load of dosh for not doing much?
graeme alderson 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Bill Davidson : Something like that. You might even be able to afford the entry fees with all of your winnings

In reply to graeme alderson:

oh my god. I've followed through. I can't beleive the many many ways in which I can get injured here. So psyched...

Lol, cant remember how much I put on with you for the Euro's, fiver was it?
 mwerner 04 Sep 2006
Maybe I need to wear a climbing label related t-shirt to access the site.
 steve taylor 04 Sep 2006

The only flaw, from a purely selfish point of view, is that they are in sheffield.

Should you decide to expand your empire, consider the south coast!!!

Will you be staying-on at the BMC?
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 04 Sep 2006
In reply to GraemeA at home: Fantastic, can't wait.

Looks good Graeme, website works fine for me going through my works internet connection. I think it just needs a day or so the let the new registration filter to all the DNS providers.

Do you know the scope of the competition wall yet? Like, is there a possibility of hosting BBC or larger events here?

Cheers, Paul.
 Rob Naylor 04 Sep 2006

Works for me.
Ian Hill 04 Sep 2006
In reply to graeme alderson: all the links work for me on a Mac using Safari

looks fab, just isn't very local!

can you offer reduced price entry for people travelling more than 200 miles each way for an evenings bouldering?

Ian
 Stu Tyrrell 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: still not working for me, when I take off index it goes to UKREDG?

Stu
 sutty 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Damn, spoke too soon, only the links off the newspage work, trying to get on the site brings up an error page and then when you click on the 'try the following' link it takes me here;

http://www.ukreg.com/

later maybe,
 idiotproof 04 Sep 2006

Seems great and all, but what sort of traffic will they need to make it viable, and I just wonder whether it will get it. Although bouldering is very popular at the moment a dedicated 'one trick pony' site on that scale seems, maybe, excessive

hmmm not sure
 mwerner 04 Sep 2006
In reply to idiotproof:
Could cause trouble for The Edge, who I think were planning on extending their bouldering facility.

If they are a dedicated bouldering venue and not routes, I wonder if they will be able to get cheaper insurance and therefore charge less to get in.
 IainWhitehouse 04 Sep 2006
In reply to mwerner:
> If they are a dedicated bouldering venue and not routes, I wonder if they will be able to get cheaper insurance and therefore charge less to get in.

Not unless they can find some truly stupid insurers. Bouldering consistently has a much higher accident rate than routes and is likely to lead to more claims.
 galpinos 04 Sep 2006

Would it be possible to post the link on here as I can't read news items at work?
In reply to galpinos: www.climbingworks.com/index.htm
 galpinos 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Paul P:
Cheers Paul. I get the uk redg site like others here. damn.
It appears just to be a delay in the DNS listing circulating the various servers since the site now works for me.

Perhaps give it a day or so if you can't get the links to work - http://www.climbingworks.com

Alan
 Stu Tyrrell 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Alan James - UKC: Works now, thanks Al!

Stu
 sutty 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Stu Tyrrell:

Cool, it goes from sheffield to harrogate via wigan, marie must have done the routing.
David Rainsbury 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I thought bouldering was by definition small, ie small enough to fall off without getting killed. So how big does it have to be before it's a climbing wall?
OP Michael Ryan 04 Sep 2006
 UKB Shark 04 Sep 2006

I distinctly recall you saying there was no money to be had in climbing walls.

Good luck.
In reply to Simon Lee: I was just putting off the scent.
 Simon 04 Sep 2006

..we wonder will this be the end of the infamous Sheffield "woody!?"

..I doubt it as most S7 & S8 climbers may be too tight??!!

Good luck tho guys! - can't wait to stroll down the road instead of going to the dusty ol matrix...

;0)

si
 nolo 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Simon: would a big bouldering wall not be a soloeing wall?
Derek Smallwood 04 Sep 2006
Links don't appear to work - using XP (Service Pack 2) and MIE (v6, SP2). Any ideas ?

TN 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Derek Smallwood:

Same as me and it's working fine. What happens when you click on it - any error messages/codes?
 sutty 04 Sep 2006
In reply to Derek Smallwood:

Read the rest of the thread, it has to get the electricity round the system for a day or so, couldn't get it either this morning but got it later this afternoon.
In reply to Simon:

the woodys been gone for over a year i think. ive heard the routes at the edge have slipped in quality recently... now i know why! shame i'll be in leeds! perfect place to train though before a trip.
In reply to OopzISlippedAgain: I think Simon means the Schoolroom.
 Simon 04 Sep 2006
> (In reply to the real weeman) I think Simon means the Schoolroom.

nah - both wrong ! ;0)

- I meant the humble Sheff S8 & S7 damp cellar boards!!

;0)

si
 UKB Shark 04 Sep 2006

In that case 9 years is a long time to pull your finger out
In reply to Simon Lee: So I've been a good little dutch boy hanging in there until the time was ready.
 mwerner 06 Sep 2006
http://www.climbingworks.com/index.htm
Can access this site from home, but not at work (not a firewall issue), it has still not cascaded through to all DNS servers yet.
 carnie 06 Sep 2006
In reply to GraemeA at home: Dear Greame,

1000m2 hardly makes this the biggest bouldering wall in the world, not even in Great Britain I would venture to say. Still never let the truth get in the way etc etc etc!
squeek 06 Sep 2006
In reply to carnie:

Which bouldering wall has more square meters of wall?

Take note that this is only bouldering, and is square meters not feet (it would be over 10,700 sq ft). None I've been to would even come close.

That is so unfair!

Sheffield has it all AND now it's getting a big new bouldering wall. Grumble, grumble.....
 carnie 06 Sep 2006
In reply to squeek: Ok i'll start off with Mile End Climbing Wall in London 1500m2 of bouldering
In reply to squeek: It would be around 160m long at an average height of 6m. That's pretty big.
In reply to Alison Stockwell: but you have SSS (smirk).
 carnie 06 Sep 2006
In reply to Richard Bradley: Yes it is!
 galpinos 06 Sep 2006
In reply to carnie:

Think that number includes the leading and top roping areas.
 carnie 06 Sep 2006
In reply to galpinos: Sorry to disapoint but no it does not! But it does include the outside stuff as well!
squeek 06 Sep 2006
In reply to carnie:

The mile end website says 1500sq m of climbing surface, which would include the leading and toproping. Unless the bouldering's been massively extended since this was written.
 Tom Briggs 06 Sep 2006
In reply to carnie:
> (In reply to squeek) Ok i'll start off with Mile End Climbing Wall in London 1500m2 of bouldering

Mile End. I doubt it, plus the bouldering is pretty poor. And it's in Mile End.

I visted the Castle this weekend for the first time. It must have as much m2 of bouldering as anywhere but a lot of it is only about 3 metres high, so effectively useless.

I suspect the Climbing Works will easily be the best indoor bouldering facility in the country. And let's face it, with three other major walls and numerous indoor woodies, we deserve it
 carnie 06 Sep 2006
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor:In reply to 'Doubting Thomas' the 1500m2 is actually an under estimation of the total bouldering surface area of Mile End climbing wall! So bouldering to 6 metres at all angles and abilities is poor! As for your visitt to the castle, if it has as much m2 as anywhere then it also has well over 1000m2 of bouldering so that's another facility bigger than this sheffield wannabe
In reply to carnie: Can you verify these claims or are you just being argumentative?
 zoobizooretta 07 Sep 2006
In reply to carnie:

You're miles out.

so your're telling us that if mile end's wall was vertical and 4 metres high, the wall would be 250metres long?

We're on about m² ie the surface area.
 jkarran 07 Sep 2006

HTTP 404 still
 carnie 07 Sep 2006
In reply to zoobizooretta: Yes I rdealise all of the above perhaps I would suggest that you visit Mile End and look at all of the bouldering walls many of which extend to 6m. Adnmittedly it is not one single wall but many individual walls at all angles but there is quite definitely at least 1500m2 of bouldering surface
In reply to zoobizooretta:

Well, actually mile end bouldering is mostly 6m high... And there's sections (of horizontal dimension) of 12m, 8m, 10m, 4m, 10m, 15m, 12m, 6m, 8m, 8m, and a couple more - that's just the main room! There's also peggy day, monkey house, training room and warm up room and outside.
 carnie 07 Sep 2006
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training: Hey Tom How's life in Sheffield treating you? Looks like you'll have a wall almost to rival Mile End soon
 Joe Costello 07 Sep 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Who cares about the surface area if the climbing is crap! Get down Broughton wall!
 carnie 07 Sep 2006
In reply to Joe Costello: Agree Broughton is the indoor boouldering in UK!
graeme alderson 07 Sep 2006
In reply to Joe Costello: See you there this weekend then
gary 07 Sep 2006
In reply to Tom Randall - Lattice Training:Hello Tom how are you send me your email via a text.Speak soon Garry.
Anonymous 07 Sep 2006
In reply to carnie:
> (In reply to zoobizooretta) Yes I rdealise all of the above perhaps I would suggest that you visit Mile End and look at all of the bouldering walls many of which extend to 6m. Adnmittedly it is not one single wall but many individual walls at all angles but there is quite definitely at least 1500m2 of bouldering surface

Not as big as the Castle though.............

or as good

This new wall will dwalf at the others

In reply to gary:

Howdee geezer! Yup, will text you my email.
In reply to gary:

I just texted to the mobile ending in 8189 - hope it's still the same one!
evolvdog 07 Sep 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:How can Graeme Alderson hold a post at the BMC and be privy to sensitive information ie facts figures of other walls etc and the have a share in a commercial wall.

Im sorry but he needs to resign from the BMC as this is a serious breach of his role
In reply to evolvdog:
How do you know what facts/figures Graeme's privy too?
Coop 08 Sep 2006
Best of luck Graeme.

Won't this "ultimate route" cross every other problem in the place? In which case it'll be impossible to do except when the place is empty.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...