UKC

GR20 footwear

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
tom bradley 11 Jul 2002
I'm off to do the GR20 in corsica in september and cant decide about footwear.Has anyone done it and could recommend?I have a pair of Meindl Nepals which i think may be too heavy, and a pair of merrel exotech approach shoes, which may be too light, but i dont know.Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers
roy godsman 11 Jul 2002
In reply to tom bradley:

Tom,
You will have a great time on the GR20. I did it with 2 pals 2 years ago. I wore a pair of leather scarpa 3 season boots which was fine. I would say the Nepals would be too heavy.
One tip: always make sure you take enough water each day and check the guide description if and where the water source is each day.
Regards
Roy
Mr Pink 11 Jul 2002
In reply to tom bradley:
I've done some of the rough bit's and it's fantastic. Personally I'd wear light weight 2/3 season boots. I've got the Nepals and they'de probably be too heavy/clumsy.
Good Luck,
George North.
soapy jazzin it 12 Jul 2002
In reply to tom bradley:

You'll want ankle support for the steep bits and if you do the yellow alpine variants.

You'll want lightness,

But most of all you'll want comfort. This trail is mostly over hard rocky footpaths and your tootsies take a pounding.

I have traversed it at that time of year in 2/3 season KSB type things and was ok.

Depends on your style. If you're dashing two to three stages a day, racing shoes would obviously be better.

Previous comments on water are especially pertinent this year, Corsica had a very dry winter.

Come September (which is an excellent time to go btw), the trail will be dry.

2 - 3 litres per day would not be unreasonable.

It's a fantastic trail, (as they say) enjoy.

OP BorisB 12 Jul 2002
In reply to tom bradley: did it last month heres a previous posting, i did it in Nepal pros Meindle, the toe cap wore off on one boot cos we were scrambling more but you def want 3/4 season big boots to protect feet from sharp rock, only pref is vibram sole for the ace grippy rock, only fags were cloth boots!
we used the huts cos it was early in season and they were still pretty unhabited, we also took climbing gear so could not carry tents, travell light and then some, we did north to south sun not a problem water was plentifull as snow melting still used 2 litres a day, cookers available in all huts and gas, you will pay Euros 3 to camp out each night and that allows you to use cookers and gas!!, 3 season doss bag works no hotter, we used softie 9's, food available at huts also but costly, we used wayfarer boil in bags nice but heavy most we met took pasta and other dried stuff, (can get it from huts)walking poles waste of time you should use hands more, we saw hele casevac on c-d-solitude cos of this, Haut asco ski resort is good place to plan rest day prior to climb of Monte Cinto good hot shower and beers etc and shop, also Castle Vergio ski resort euro 12 to sleep in and hot showers rest of huts cost euros 9 and have 101 shitters and freezing streams for showers nice on hot days, take goretex and hats gloves etc we had two storms in 3 weeks that were bad, also it was freezing on north of M Cinto with ice etc but roasting on south, no use for axes and crampons, we walked every day in shorts and dry flo t shirt and washed them each night in stream we wore spare set next day and normally the wet ones were dry or dried on back of pack, we also took windproof shirt and ron hills to use under goretex, one set of undies on and one spare no other kit used!!, laundry nr Calvi and intersport shop between Calenzana turn off and Calvi that did gas all kinds, and Mt Mkinley thermarests for 30 quid we got one each!!, head torch small and light good bit of kit, we set off most days at 0830 - 0900 and arrived at about 1530-1630 at refuge as per lonely planet route planner, french always set of at 0500-0600 and missed best of day on hill and raced around to sit at hut looking up at mountains instead of beeing in em!! take your time and enjoy, Monte Cinto start at 0530 to get back for 1430 and a beer in bar, cut down on toiletries just tooth gel brush and shower gel to wash clothes etc, use small travel towel, use mugs for brews in huts provided just take small brew kit with you, Calvi is the best place to chill avoid Ajaccio bit ugly and costly. if sailing from Nice ferry took 3 and half hours and was ok, taxi from Nice airport to ferry Euros 25-30, lots of cheep hotels in Bastia Euros 20 a night, no McDonalds or Burger kings on Corsica just good salads and seafood etc, food v good, the local Vin Rouge is v good also go to supermarket get bags of dried fruit for hill and v cheep wine for nights, make friends with others and merry when you can!,use water purification tabs also, have fun any more questions get in touch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...