UKC

montane superfly

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yewchen 05 Oct 2006
has anyone been using montane superfly jacket? Is it good for general walking & cycling in 4 seasons?
barryb 05 Oct 2006
In reply to yewchen:
Good jacket for general walking, would need layers for very cold weather, breathable enough for summer and cycling.
Not ideal for cycling but as good as a walking jacket could be.
had mine bout 2 months and no complaints yet.

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6167
MaxWilliam 05 Oct 2006
In reply to yewchen:

Only worn mine a few times, in snow and rain in Alps.

Positives: Good, simple fairly lightweight jacket, big hood, tail for sitting on! Its not bright orange! Fine in snow, stood up to practice ice axe arrests, seems to be reasonably tough. Kept the water out in heavy downpoors. It's got a Union Flag on the zip pull.

Negatives: Pockets a bit small and fiddly (not map sized). No pit zips, which I think is a big, big minus. Flimsy collar when the hood is down - just from a style point of view. Not quite as breathable as I would like but eVent is supposed to be one of the best in its class (?). Shame the pockets aren't venting like some jackets.

If you can get for less than the RRP of £180 I would recommend, got mine for £120 in cotswolds.

For an alternative look at the Rab Bergen Jacket - although its small size is a lot bigger than the Montane.

The Montane is a nice fit if you are smaller framed.

Apparently you can steam iron this jacket (according to the instructions) - has anyone tried this?
 BelleVedere 05 Oct 2006
In reply to MaxWilliam:

I think i just saw a banner advertising it for £85
MaxWilliam 05 Oct 2006
In reply to es:

Doh! Definately worth a buy at that price - buy it.

P.S. It is not a very 'cleverly technical' design. I think the breathability is limited by the doubling up of the fabric all over the front for the pockets. This seems like a bit of a 'school boy' error in design for a highly-breathable jacket! But overall I would still recommend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...