UKC

Climbing southern Germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Richard Horn 05 Oct 2006
Ok my boss is threatening to send me on secondment to Munich for 6 months. My decision on whether or not to agree on this will be obviously influenced by climbing in the area. So does anyone know:

- If there is a wall in Munich?

- What the climbing is like near Munich and how far away (Frankenjura?).

Cheers.
Jules King 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Richard Horn:

Yes there is a wall in Munich. As to climbing, the Northern Limstone Alps start 1.5 hrs south (loads of small crags to explore, just get in with the local scene, som are not in guide books), there-after take you pick, or rope, or quick draw, or skis, or walking boots. Dolomites 4hrs, Hohe Tauern 3.5 hrs, Switzerland 6 hrs......
Pete W 05 Oct 2006

München (Munich)

MTV München
Häberlstraße 11
München D-80337
089-534890
http://www.mtv-muenchen.de
> 300 m2 kletterfläche, 13 m. kletterlänge kletterwand

Kletterhalle Im Esv München
Herthastraße 41
München D-80639
089-2907090
http://www.dav-oberland.de
> Indoorklettern 120 m2 kletterfläche, 18 m. kletterlänge

DAV-Kletteranlage Thalkirchen
Thalkirchener Straße 211
München D-81371
089-29070915
http://www.kletterzentrum-muenchen.de
> Kletterhalle mit 1700 m2 kletterfläche, 50 m. kletterlänge

High East
Sonnenallee 2
München-Kirchheim
089 - 92 79 47 96
http://www.high-east.de/
> Kletterwand

Pete
Pete W 05 Oct 2006

PS you won´t need be disillusioned about the walls and you don´t need to go to Frankenjura. There as good if not better areas around Blåutal & Donautal (city of Kempten) nearby.

Pete
Waldmeister 06 Oct 2006
In reply to Richard Horn: The next nearest climbing is at Kochel, which is depending from where you stay in Munich ~1 h driving south. Limestone sportclimbing + bouldering with some easier , but mainly harder stuff. The southern part of the Frankenjura (you will find the famous Face from J. Moffat there, first 8a+) is around 1.15 h to the north! Guidebooks are easy to find!
miho 06 Oct 2006
Munich is a quite good place for climbers. worked there for 3 months a while ago and in clear weather I could see Zugspitze (highest mountain in Germany) and some other parts of the Alps at the horizon from my desk!

Michael
 scott titt 06 Oct 2006
In reply to Richard Horn: Look at kletternmachtspass.de (the website of Munich branch of I G Klettern) and look at Halle (Kletterhalle Heavens Gate).It is a huge potato silo (30m high) close to the Ostbahnhof. There is lots to climb within day trip distance. Bavaria is great, go there.
 jimtitt 07 Oct 2006
Strange answers you get sometimes on UKC. Of course Kochel is not the neareast crag to Munich, despite the Alps moving a few centimeters north everyear it probably never will be as probably Bad Hielbrunn, crap as it is, will also advance north as well. Anyway all joking aside there´s plenty to do in the area with a number of crags in the Voralpen ( the bit before the proper mountains) all around 1 1/2 hours away, same for Southern Frankenjura. The Frankenjura itself is about 2 hrs depending on where you go and your driving style.
For anything about German sport climbing you really should get a copy of "Deutschrock" Sportklettergebiete in Deutschland. tmms verlag. ISBN 3-930650-17-7 which has every crag in Germany, unfortunatly at the moment only in german.
The two main halls in Munich are the DAV hall in Thalkirchen which is (including outdoors) the biggest in Europe, a bit upmarket and expensive but good for doing routes and meeting young professionals, Heavens Gate in the KunstPark Ost is archetypal post-industrial grunge, cheaper and with the longest routes in Europe as the wall(s) are over 30m high but by far the better bouldering. The DAV are building a mega new hall in the north of the city which should be the biggest in the world, finished end 2007.
One problem is the weather, in the summer it´s o.k., this year much too hot, and the winter is loooong. Last year the snow came on Nov 14 and stayed till Easter so depending on which 6 months you come here I´ll see you on the rock or in the hall. Any Q´s then mail me.
From sunny, 16°C Munich
Jim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...