UKC

Accident at the Westway

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 oooaaah 09 Oct 2006
My dad and I were climbing out the back when we saw an ambulance arrive, and when we went inside, there was a man on the floor near the autobelay, and lots of climbing staff/ paramedics around him.

Does anyone know: a) if the guy was/is ok, and b) what happened?

It was the first accident we've seen while climbing (we've been climbing about a year), and it was a bit of a shock to us. Hopefully the guy didn't fall too far and makes a quick and full recovery.
 butterworthtom 09 Oct 2006
In reply to oooaaah: theres another thread about this, apparatnly he didnt clip into the autobelay
Em010101 09 Oct 2006
In reply to oooaaah: Yes that's right - he only knew once he'd hit the floor and was saying so, PLEASE EVERYONE CLIP IN. It's the worst thing I've seen so please, please be safe everyone.
 butterworthtom 09 Oct 2006
In reply to Em010101: someone said the otehr day they forgot to clip in an autobelay till they were half way up... hope hes alright?? how high was the wall?
Em010101 09 Oct 2006
In reply to oooaaah: I really hope he's ok too. If anyone gets word please let me know.
In reply to oooaaah:

There was an incident last year at Westway when a bloke forgot to clip into the autobelay. Luckily he realised when he got to the top, and he was able to hang on until the staff could rescue him.

I hope the guy today makes a full and speedy recovery.
 Smitz 10 Oct 2006
In reply to oooaaah:
> It was the first accident we've seen while climbing (we've been climbing about a year), and it was a bit of a shock to us.

Sorry to hear this, but to be honest, seeing the odd accident is a good thing. It puts a little voice in the back of your mind that makes you wear your helmet and check, and then double, check your tie ins. The voice fades after a while, as you get more experiecned and, dare I say it cocky, but as soon as you witness another bad fall, it's back, louder than before.
Em010101 10 Oct 2006
In reply to Smitz: Yes Smitz, I totally agree. It's taught me a nasty lesson and whilst I think my friends and I are always safe, seeing that last night has definitely re-enforced checking in my mind. I just hope it does to everyone reading this too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...