UKC

Westway climbing Centre

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave-Westlake 21 Oct 2006
Hello,

It looks like im moving to Reading soon, and im after some info on the Westway wall. I looked on the website but it didnt really tell me much!

Is the bouldering bit any good? Is there a woody? or steep section for training?

Im not really interested in doing 'nice' problems i just want somewhere i can train through the week, ideally with a 45 degree board or similar.

Also, what sort of price is it for a session in the evening? (Im bracing myself!)

Is there anywhere else near ish reading that might be worth a look?

Thanks in advance
Dave

My Gravity 21 Oct 2006
In reply to Dave-Westlake:

Quite like the bouldering there, and there is a fingerboard with edges of varying thickness. Don't think its 45 degrees though.

http://www.westway.org.uk/sports/wsc/climbing
Adult Registration One-off £3.00
Adult Casual Climb Per session £8.00
Adult Off Peak Casual Climb Per session £6.50
Adult Monthly Pass Per month £37.50

Cheers

Andy
Wingman@work 21 Oct 2006

don't want to sound too negative, but depending on what time you finish work Reading to the Westway is a hell of a journey for an evenings training. Both the M4 and M40 are chocker going into London at evening rush hour.

They do have a small room with a woody (or similar) it's not that steep though. (certainly not 45 degs)
OP Dave-Westlake 21 Oct 2006
In reply to Wingman@work:

im probably gonna be commuting into london to work part iof the time at lease, i figured westway was kind of o the way back

cheers
ben in s.lakes 23 Oct 2006
In reply to Dave-Westlake: jesus dave, what about the climbing dude!! you can't move south!
Ricky 25 Oct 2006

Hi, There isnt anywhere in Reading itself. Most Reading people go to the Westway, Swindon or Craggy Island in Guildford, but the Westway is the best/biggest wall. Craggy is very popular though & does have a good bouldering wall.
You could so worse than to think about joining the Reading mountaineering club, they have a pretty good website.
 Jon Wickham 25 Oct 2006
I reckon Westway is a very good wall (probably my favourite), and with a great pub just round the corner. The wall is a bit expensive though, but I guess that's just London prices! You might also want to look into "The Climb" at Amersham, though it's not that great.

BTW are you dave, ex of Ultimate?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...