UKC

Would you sponsor a climber?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tyler 24 Oct 2006
The level of sposorship for climbers in the UK is pretty pitiful, that's not a good or bad thing it's just the way it is. That said, however, I think there are a few climbers in the UK who are good enough and dedicated enough to deserve more. Any full time climber will lead a pretty impercunious life style anyway so an extra £1000 or so a year could make a big difference. That set me thinking that given the size of this site it would probably be easy to raise that amount (or more) for an annual grant? I'm not suggesting or proposing anything at the moment just wondering whether many would be interested in donating, say, £1 - £5 a year to help some UK climbing talent.

Any thoughts?
 S Andrew 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Tyler:

I'd prefer to maintain the discretion of choosing to go to talks, buy books/videos.
 TobyA 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Tyler: That's quite a cool idea. If it was set up with something easy like paypal getting 500 people to pay a couple of quid might be doable. Then we could have a massive flame war over who to sponsor (no boulderers obviously), and then they would wear a UKC t-shirt and we can all go "woo hoo! we did it!" when said climber does their next 9a and gets in the mags.

What about Rich Simpson so not only can he keep climbing but he can also pay his legal bills when he next decides give us all the scoop on "Sheffield Uncovered"!?
fxceltic 24 Oct 2006
In reply to TobyA: I wouldnt want to contribute if it went to simpson, he strikes me as a dick.

I would give it to ben heason.
Robert Dickson 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Tyler: It could be called
"The Brittle Knees Foundation"
 Bob Hassall 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Tyler:

Can't afford to sponsor myself to do enough climbing!

Won't be sponsoring anyone else, except my own lads of course.
 Dux 24 Oct 2006
In reply to TobyA:

without wanting to open any old wounds etc...has this been well and truly put to bed now? I notice both parties competed in the Bruntwood Aerial Assault in August http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=749
 Paul B 24 Oct 2006
In reply to fxceltic:
> I would give it to ben heason.

who has done what recently to earn it?

I think rich's posts sometimes come across unintentionally aggressive, which leads to people like yourself having that opinion, which in my opinion is incorrect.
 Adam Lincoln 24 Oct 2006
In reply to TobyA:

Rich doesnt climb anymore
fxceltic 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Paul B: its all about opinions.
 Paul B 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Adam Lincoln: hmmm you reckon it'll last? i for one dont.

In reply to fxceltic: I dont think you have enough information to have come to that conclusion.
 Adam Lincoln 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Paul B:

I hope it doesnt. He was the future for UK Sport climbing! And wasnt that much of a slouch at bouldering or trad either....
 tony 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Adam Lincoln:
> (In reply to TobyA)
>
> Rich doesnt climb anymore

Really! Rich Simpson has stopped climbing? Blimey, that seems very sad for someone so obviously talented.
 Norrie Muir 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Tyler:
I'm not suggesting or proposing anything at the moment just wondering whether many would be interested in donating, say, £1 - £5 a year to help some UK climbing talent.
>
> Any thoughts?

Can I put my name forward to be sponsored?

£30,000 per annum, tax free of course, would be OK. I would be too busy climbing to post on UKC, however I would an Annual Report on my activities.

Any individual donating £1,000 would get a new route named after them.
 Glyn Jones 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Dear Norrie

Is monopoly money acceptable?

Regards

Glyn

As an aside - Fast Bikes did something similar, requesting donations to help semi-professionals. Not sure what the outcome was though.
 Chris H 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: Id want a plaque at the bottom for 1K and maybe you could come and do a bit of DIY?
 GrahamD 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

> Can I put my name forward to be sponsored?

What you done on grit ?
 Glyn Jones 24 Oct 2006
In reply to GrahamD: Quite a lot by all accounts!
 Si dH 24 Oct 2006
In reply to fxceltic:
Rich came across badly on the net then but he's actually a really nice guy. He's doing a degree now I believe (or soon anyway) so obviously won't be climbing full-time. And he did get free climbing accomodation in Spain and some sponsorship money anyway - although I'm not sure how much.
 Glyn Jones 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH: not met him but I think he comes across as a nice guy. Maybe I've missed something. Climbing at the top level is so short lived but, unlike football, doesn't pay well. I wish him and all the others the best because they do a lot of good work for climbing.
 Sul 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Tyler:
> The level of sposorship for climbers in the UK is pretty pitiful, that's not a good or bad thing it's just the way it is. That said, however, I think there are a few climbers in the UK who are good enough and dedicated enough to deserve more. Any full time climber will lead a pretty impercunious life style anyway so an extra £1000 or so a year could make a big difference. That set me thinking that given the size of this site it would probably be easy to raise that amount (or more) for an annual grant? I'm not suggesting or proposing anything at the moment just wondering whether many would be interested in donating, say, £1 - £5 a year to help some UK climbing talent.
>
> Any thoughts?

What you are talking about is called charity. As an individual why should I subsidise anyone else no matter how great their talents. Who,praywould administer said concept and decide where the money goes? Donors would insist on naming the benefactor to avoid cronyism and corruption. Slly idea sponsorship only works at the coprporate commercially orientated level

Rosie A 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Tyler:

I'm constantly sponsoring the divils, when did you ever hear the words 'My round' issue from the lips of a climber?

:¬)
Ste Brom 24 Oct 2006
In reply to Tyler:
I was a state sponsored climber for a few years, in the 80's and 90's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...