UKC

Nestle to sponsor Breast Feeding Awareness Week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Morgan Woods 25 Oct 2006
Just kidding....although it might ruffle a few feathers.
 cidersoak 25 Oct 2006
In reply to Morgan Woods: can you imagine, how ironic would that be..
 whiting.jp 25 Oct 2006
In reply to Morgan Woods:

heh, it did elicit a bit of a "erm.. hang on.. wtf!" from me.
OP Morgan Woods 25 Oct 2006
In reply to cidersoak:

i wouldn't put it past them but 2 facts worth noting are:

- formula sales in the whole of africa total about 5% of formula sales for the whole of Belgium

- local "formula" can be a mix of cornflour, sugar and whatever else is available so i know which i would prefer if i were a 3rd world baby

but this is from the nestle website so treat with suspicion i guess.
 toad 25 Oct 2006
In reply to Morgan Woods: I'd always thought the formaula argument was primarily about using untreated water and dirty bottles - in Belgium they have sterilisers and clean water. I don't think formula is inherently evil, just not appropriate in such conditions as you'd find in sub saharan africa
 Carolyn 25 Oct 2006
In reply to toad:

Untreated water, dirty bottles - and cost! Part of the arguement is that mums get given free formula for their newborns (meaning breast milk dries up), but then can't afford to buy enough formula to adequately norish their older babies.

Mind you, even in countries with sterilisers & clean water, bottle fed babies are far more likely to end up in hospital with gastroenteritis. Formula's not inherently evil (indeed, on occasion, it's mighty convenient), but it ain't as good as the real thing.......
brothersoulshine 25 Oct 2006
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> i know which i would prefer if i were a 3rd world baby

my mummy's tits
 Timmd 25 Oct 2006
In reply to brothersoulshine:On the subject of dirty water.

http://www.wateraid.org.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...