UKC

OMM

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alphin 29 Oct 2006
Glad I’m not there having seen the photos!! reminiscent of the 1996 looking at the weather in the photos on the site.

http://www.theomm.com/

Shame they have not posted the split times of the C Class and the Short Score as I would have liked to see how different mates are doing against each other (they don’t know each other).

Is it being elitist not to show the lower classes in the event? I’m not sure why they have not? all the other classes were updated by about 20.00 tonight. At least everyone will have an extra hour in bed tomorrow – in all that rain, wet sleeping bags, dry food, communal pit toilets or portaloo’s and another day on the hills.

I’m really sorry I missed it again )
 Al Evans 29 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin: Cant believe that Pete Irwin isnt there, or Bob Ashworth, or even me and Andrea?
 sutty 29 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin:

Sounds great, one elite saying it was only 35km, of tussock grass, rivers some swam across, thick mist, wading knee deep in mud.

Are the links to the event posted on some masochists site?
dinkypen 29 Oct 2006
In reply to sutty:

Well, according to yesterday's results posted on theomm.com, Mrs Rushby and the Crow were the last pair home in C class - their completion of day 1's course was a great achievement in view of the conditions

Ceri and Rob meanwhile should be pleased with their 131st place out of the 245 who successfully completed C class on day 1

Rubbishy and Marc C put in a valiant effort to come in 154th out of 191 starters in B class, whilst Eskdale Massive and his brother were 162nd

Conditions today improved dramatically, with clear, dry skies. We are still waiting for the overall results to be posted......
 Bob 29 Oct 2006
 pog100 29 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin:
All seem to be up now. I can confirm Saturday was a tough one! But being masochistic for these things I enjoyed it anyway. Today was another matter. My legs lost all energy after 3 hours and we ended up not running but walking about 10K along forest tracks. Ho Hum ...
Still wouldn't miss it, or the LAMM, for anything though! Managed 128 out of 200 odd in the long score, which for a couple of old crocks like us us about par for the course.
Could do with some sort of UKC indentification badge.

Cheers,

Mike
Alphin 29 Oct 2006
In reply to pog100:

Looking at the photos, Saturday looked like classic Galloway conitions, all I remember, but a lot better today. I almost wished I was there!
 Mattyk 29 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin: Saturday was hard, made worst by the general clag. i was soaking - managed 9th in the B but was gutted because we were 5th overnight

How much fun was it getting out of that carpark this afternoon - i ragged it at 40 mph through that mud just to get my wheels on some solid gravel.. awesome end to a great weekend.
 Marc C 30 Oct 2006
In reply to dinkypen: Twas a nightmare! Wet, foggy, boggy...oh yes, mud, mud, mud 2 weeks notice and no training through injury not the ideal preparation! Also had this image of Galloway Forest Park being like a woodland nature trail,,how wrong was I? Day 1: Wet and boggy. Ran out of steam Saturday (the knock?) going up this ridiculously small hill (ended up moving up like a climber trudging up Everest without oxygen) but managed to keep going. Day 2: Dawned fine (after a miserable cold damp night in tent). Started walking then realised I'd sprained my left knee Was dreading having to pull out (pride and all that), but somehow managed to ignore the pain and just keep plodding. John did a great job of navigating and towing me round (though his 'it's only another 200m' trick got a bit wearing, once I realised he was always underestimating hugely!) What a fantastic feeling of relief to finish!

Well done too to Paul and Helen. And thanks for the invitation, John
 Got a job rob 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Marc C: ceri and my self are alive, had fun. the course was not as bad as LAMM on Mull. Weather was not as bad as last years KIMM. But the ground was hard to run. Great Views on day two. i think i have found the best pain killing and monitvation system in the world, two pro plus and two ibrophrofin. mist on day one was a git. sorry fot the bad spelling.
 lummox 30 Oct 2006
In reply to no job rob: quite tough going this year, not aided by having the fitness level of an arthritic grandma from Cleckheaton. Mid place mediocrity for us in Long Score. Couldn`t face cycling in to work today, due to tenderised quads and calf non-muscles.

Worse story I heard was someone on -279 points.

Now that would make me cry...

hope you all had fun.
dinkypen 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Marc C:

> Twas a nightmare! Wet, foggy, boggy...oh yes, mud, mud, mud 2 weeks notice and no training through injury not the ideal preparation! Also had this image of Galloway Forest Park being like a woodland nature trail,,how wrong was I?

Now, I did try to warn you that it wasn't just another fell race, didn't I! I must say I was quite relieved when my partner had to pull out, as the conditions on Saturday just looked appalling. Well done for getting round! Has John signed you up for next year yet??!
johnsdowens 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to dinkypen) Twas a nightmare! Wet, foggy, boggy...oh yes, mud, mud, mud

Aye, saturday was pretty mingin - very cold on the windward sides. It's a good thing I used to go heather hopping and bog jumping as a child, perfect training for the terrain. They seemed to make the C a lot easier than last year, quite short and simple on day one, but with lots of ascent on day two to make up for it.

Twenty-odd hours at the overnight though - I swear I've never eaten or slept so much in a day before...
 sutty 30 Oct 2006
In reply to lummox:

I am having masterclasses in masochism so I can attempt one of these 'walks' some time. I showed my tutor some of the pictuers from the first day and he thinks it may be a long haul to get me masochistic enough to enter, never mind finish the route.

My hat comes off to all who entered and tried, even those who had to pull out for some reason. Mad, the lot of you.
 Marc C 30 Oct 2006
In reply to dinkypen:
> (In reply to Marc C)
> Has John signed you up for next year yet??!>

Too early to commit myself - at the moment I'm limping round the house & the stairs are the equivalent of K2 Surely I wouldn't put myself through that again, would I?!
And IF I did, I'd make sure I was much better prepared physically and mentally!

Seriously, though, I'm not sure it really motivates me - routes like the Welsh 3000s and Bob Graham Round have some kind of conceptual satisfaction for climbers - trudging through bogs in search of checkpoints with hundreds of people swarming around and about doesn't inspire me the same way. Think it's more for orienteers/fellrunners - but, hats off to everyone who takes part; they demonstrate a tremendous amount of determination, fitness and good-humouredness whatever class they're in.

Banned User 77 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Marc C: I'm the same. Just too many people. I don't like some of the fell runs when it's just a crocodile chain from peak to valley. I love the running, enjoy the smaller races, but the busy ones are just not what fell running is about for me.
Anita 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin: 113 on Medium score. Ace fun! It started on Friday night when I got covered in mud from head to foot while pushing our car into the field. Just managed to wash the mud out of my hair last night.
Sat was damp, we were doing well until I was sick and got cramp what should have been an hour from overnight camp, we ended up 27mins over time : ( Bugger
Sun much better, managed to cut my leg on broken branch (probably should have had a couple of stitches but it's a bit late now!) and what about that mudslide down to the finish from CW!! There were rocks in it - now that's a nasty trick.
 sutty 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Anita:

> Ace fun! It started on Friday night when I got covered in mud from head to foot while pushing our car into the field

Your name has been noted for the tag mud wrestling team.
I hope the lass who broke her arm near the end of C class day one is OK.

It feels great having been out in the fresh air for the weekend compared with people at work who just got the beers in all weekend!
Anita 30 Oct 2006
In reply to sutty:

Your name has been noted for the tag mud wrestling team.

Funny thing was I didn't know how bad it was as there was no mirror and it was dark. It was only when I got into the marquee and everyone was staring I realised quite how covered I was.
 Flatlander 30 Oct 2006
In reply to dinkypen:

Good job on that I bet everyone was happy just finishing it from the sounds of all this!
 Rubbishy 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin:

Firstly, a sterling effort from Marc C for agreeing to be my last minute replacement partner. you can have pobble the cat back now, uninjured as we agreed.

I realised that spending weeks at time on a little boat do not provide the cardio vascular training required to wade through miles and miles of hag and bog. As I said to Marc, that is not pain, it is weakness exiting the body, (and the brown bits in your Ron Hills are poo).

Still, it is not like it was in my day. Paper maps, control points on seperate self dissolving paper, pooing in unisex slit trenches, Pete Bland Sports selling soviet era running togs in a myriad of grey and a Wilfs in the corner of the field, no bar or the like.

Will I be back next year, naturally. I intend to do Long score dressed as Twiggy.

Good to see the lass who was caught in the fire last year out and about and completing B class in good form. Put my effort into perspective - all the best and I hope the wobbly handed photo I took turns out ok.
 Simon Caldwell 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Marc C:
> with hundreds of people swarming around

get yourself into a Score class then - we saw no more than a dozen people on day 1, and not many more on day 2, despite the unusual lack of mist. And that wasn't (entirely) due to our bizarre route choices
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Score is definitely the way to go (or not!). Followed the hordes uphill on the starts then went our own way for pretty much both days, only coming across people near checkpoints and the finishes.
 Marc C 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell: 'Score class'? Sorry, I'm new to all this KIMM/OMM terminology. Only established on Saturday morning that we would be running somewhere, camping, then running back the next day

PS Think I'm on the cusp of some Veterans' event?
 HC~F 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin: For some reason the results seem to say we didn't do day 2!!! We bloody did, and they gave us our certificates and everything!!
Bloody cheek .

sutty 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Helen ~Taylor:

Are you going to remain Helen-Taylor or going to change to Rushby's-moll now?

How about Helen-Taylor-Rushby?
 Paul Atkinson 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin: Ouch. Touching any part of my legs today feels like prodding a bruise. Finally got home this afternoon after carefully rehydrating on several pints of bitter in the local Bates Motel last night.

We're very happy with the outcome of the weekend having limped in 58th out of 62 finishers in A - doesn't sound too good but with the 40% DNF rate we're chuffed to have made it at all. Saturday was a nightmare in all the clag and pelting rain, we were lucky to hit the last proper CP just before dark so we only needed the head torches for the last leg to camp. I don't think we could have finished at all with a much later sart time. We were so all in at midcamp that we struggled to get the tent up and feed ourselves properly. I hardly slept due to inadequate ground insulation (should know better) and was hugely relieved to see the sun in the morning. Day 2 felt much better despite the battered muscles, it was so nice being able to see things.

Well done to everyone who got round and commiserations to any that didn't. Galloway's savage reputation remains in tact for 2016! It's so lovely just not having to run any more.

Cheers, Paul
 HC~F 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Paul Atkinson: Hee hee. I can completely sympathise, although obviously you had to go a lot further than me....
I am ridiculously slow on the downhills, and losing checkpoint 4 on day one in thick swirling mist meant over 1.5 hours walking up and down a hill looking for a knoll. We had a strange problem with both our compasses when taking bearings, they kept spinning and wouldn't settle, so I don't think the reading was as reliable as it might have been. What was truely annoying though, was realising that the spot we were stood in, from which we could see the knoll about 20 metres away as the mist had risen sufficiently, was exactly the same spot we'd been stood in 1.5 hours earlier when we'd attempted to walk on our bearing. Bah!

Due to this loss of time, and me struggling with my knees down every hill, we did the last 2 hours in the dark with head torches, including the ridiculously muddy slide down to the overnight camp which seemed to go on forever, complete with tree branches at eye height and muddy logs and branches to trip over and slip on. At one stage the Crow was actually having to try and pull my leg out of the mud as I was well and truely stuck up to the knee and couldn't move at all. I was soaked to the skin pretty much all day and wasn't too cold when moving as my waterproofs over the top of my already wet leggings kept the wind off, but as soon as we limped into camp at 7.30ish, I was shivering. Given our start time was 8, even taking off the coach ride of 45 mins, it was a long first day in the hills! Day 2 was much easier, but far more painful, both knees were screaming at me anyway then I ended up putting a bandage round a twisted ankle.

Got back to London at 2 this morning.
Today I have been hobbling around the classroom in slippers.

Next year, anyone?
 Tiggs 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin:

I followed the reports over the weekend. Well done to everyone who got round! You are all totally and utterly barmy.
 lithos 30 Oct 2006
-279 dream on - low med score at camp was -360 and thats with scoring 30 points. Thats some going, i hope the team was ok and not injured.

Pete and I (emphasis on the I there) were very unfit and therfore unambitious and it paid off, 42 / 225 overall in the med score

(marc, score means choose your own route and number of controls visitied, few or many in any order but time limited.
long 7 hours med 6 short 5 on sat. 1 less on sunday)
 The Crow 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin:

Things I learned this WE.

1.) Too much independant thought can be a bad thing - when faced with a beaten trail and a little disorientated taking a bearing off rather than follow the track may be unwise.
2.) Decathlon Poles are a false economy. (or at least have rubbish baskets).
3.) Some people are so afraid of responsibility they will deliberately break their compass.
4.) SIS or GO powders don't work for me (I'm better with oats and water - Must be the horsey-buttocks).
4.) Size is definitely no indication of willpower and grit.
5.) And Bagels are the prince of bread-stuffs.

Did we actually come last then? Still made the deadlines painful knees and all... Eat that Galloway Forest Park!
 HC~F 30 Oct 2006
In reply to The Crow:
> (In reply to Alphin)
>
> Things I learned this WE.
>

> 3.) Some people are so afraid of responsibility they will deliberately break their compass.

Oi!! Did I not manage to skillfully acquire a replacement at the overnight camp? eh?!

> 5.) And Bagels are the prince of bread-stuffs.

Nah, steak pies all the way. The number of jealous comments I received as I tucked into my steak pie at the top of that hill made it well worth carrying the extra weight .

>
> Did we actually come last then? Still made the deadlines painful knees and all... Eat that Galloway Forest Park!

Don't know, can't make sense of the results...
 marie 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Helen ~Taylor: Who are you?

There is no such person as Helen~Taylor as from last weekend!

HC~F 30 Oct 2006
In reply to The Crow: Don't know what the problem was I had earlier, but it makes sense now!! Woohoo!! With the truely magnificent time of 18 hours 4 minutes and 12 seconds on the hills (far more effort than anyone else had to put in...) we officially managed to come 248th!! LAST!!!!! That's made my day! :oD.
(I chose to ignore the fact that 24 pairs dropped out)

18:04:12

Mix 712
Helen Rushby
Paul Saunders 09:48:58
DB 01:37
01:37 DH 03:06
01:29 CH 04:19
01:12 DC 07:45
03:26 AS 09:28
01:42 BF 10:11
00:43 DI 11:22
01:10 F1 11:26
00:03
08:15:14
AU 01:20
01:20 BW 01:20

BC 04:15
02:54 AN 06:40
02:24 CW 07:38
00:58 CQ 08:04
00:25 F2 08:15
00:10
 The Crow 30 Oct 2006
> With the truely magnificent time of 18 hours 4 minutes and 12 seconds on the hills...

:o0

:oD
 Marc C 30 Oct 2006
In reply to The Crow: 18 hours. And she wants to be known as Helen RUSH-by?!
Etak 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Anita:
> (In reply to sutty)
>
>
> Funny thing was I didn't know how bad it was as there was no mirror and it was dark. It was only when I got into the marquee and everyone was staring I realised quite how covered I was.

yes we saw you and frank - and it was very funny noting how muddy you were and how you had no clue! obviously laughing with you not at you! I feel face first in a bog on sunday and looked much the same- hope you enjoyes it- C class was nice and short - were in camp by 2.30 on saturady 9and that was after we were on the lost bus that drove around for an hour in the morning - tried to kick us all off at the over night camp- that would have been a short day)

kate
Etak 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Helen ~Taylor: you certainly got value for money!
 Al Evans 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Helen ~Taylor: We always travelled light and took disgusting dehydrated food because we were racing. Invariably we camped next to somebody who was out just to enjoy themselves and was cooking a full English the next morning while we had our Readybrek with powdered milk
Pies is a great idea, wish I'd thought of that
Once managed to make a magnificent mistake on the second day and went back to a first day checkpoint while we were about 5th overnight, the effort not to subsequently come last made it my last MM ever
 Rob Laird 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

Well it was my first one, came in at 233rd for the C class and loved every minute!! Now I know what to expect, I'll be doing things differently for next time.

My lasting memory was probably the last 10-15 minutes coming down the hill in the gap between the woods, knee deep mud all the way!! It was like trying to run in angel delight

Don't suppose anyone knows what area it is next year? Usually they give you a rough idea, but I didn't stay around to long after the food

Cheers

Rob
 Rubbishy 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin:

Balloon Beds are bollocks
 lummox 31 Oct 2006
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Alphin)
>
> Balloon Beds are bollocks

surely you weren`t daft enough to fall for the balloon bed ?? Remember hearing the pop,pop,pop of them bursting on the LAMM a few years ago... they might work for waifs, but I wouldn`t trust anything but a worrimat for a fat knacker like myself.

Marc C 31 Oct 2006
In reply to lummox: We thought we were going to die in our tent on Saturday night (from a combination of exhaustion, misery and tedium) - so Rushby suggested making a balloon memorial of a trekker being crucified. Unfortunately, our masterpiece burst
 lummox 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Marc C: I find flicking bits of couscous at my running partner relieves the tedium of the long night in the tent, until he threatens to set fire to my sleeping bag.

I thought we were going to end up with some OMMers either getting impaled in the forest on the muddy last few metres down to the finish, or committing sepuku with their skipoles at the thought of anymore bogtrotting.
lep 31 Oct 2006
What was happening with B class on Day 1 - looking at the results some people did the second CP and others didn't? Was it declared bad weather course? OH will be mightly pissed off if that's the case.

Unfortunatly not there this year - illness and lack of training. Any clues to where it is next year?
 Marc C 31 Oct 2006
In reply to lummox: <seppuku with ski=poles> Ha ha. Thankfully they took mine off me as I was obviously believed to be a particularly 'high risk' case of Bog Trot Boredom Psychosis.
 sutty 31 Oct 2006
In reply to lummox:

>I thought we were going to end up with some OMMers either getting impaled in the forest on the muddy last few metres down to the finish

That sounded a bad stretch, it could have involved MRT carting lots of people off to the eye hospital from what people have posted. Not a good choice of route by someone.
 lummox 31 Oct 2006
In reply to sutty: nope, didn`t seem the best, especially given the muddy, churned up ground. Luckily, sounds like they got way with it.
 Mattyk 31 Oct 2006
In reply to lep: wasn't declared bad weather, i am assuming the CP wasn't working for everybody hence they haven't got a time for all but 'they were there'. Incidently they got us to dib before we got on the bus and then when we got off the bus, the one when we got off the bus didn't register as our start had been logged when we got on the bus and so Start to CP1 was void on B & C courses which is annoying if you ran it pretty quick, as we did!
 Duncan Irving 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Marc C:

I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with balloon beds and bubblewrap! 5' of skinny foam kept me asleep for 14 hrs (fortunately we didn't have to foresake an 8:48 start for the chasing start). I doubt I'd have been able to walk, let alone run, on the Sunday without such a sleepathon.

Shame I didn't see anyone from here again at the overnighter - maybe on the LAMM. My partner and I have decided to consolidate at B-class for a couple of years after this weekend's rather traumatic exertions...
In reply to sutty:
> (In reply to lummox)
>
> >I thought we were going to end up with some OMMers either getting impaled in the forest on the muddy last few metres down to the finish
>
> That sounded a bad stretch, it could have involved MRT carting lots of people off to the eye hospital from what people have posted. Not a good choice of route by someone.

Are we talking about the last bit from the final compulsory checkpoint? If so, it wasn't that bad. We took it at full tilt. As for it being "not a good choice of route by someone", I get the impression you mean the planners? As was said many years ago - this is the KIMM - not a Sunday stroll in the park!
 Mattyk 31 Oct 2006
In reply to brt: i agree we gained a place and probably overtook at least 5 teams (different classes) on that descent, it was fast and fun, can't understand why people were tip-toeing down it and getting upset when they got overtaken!

Downhill is where you can really make the difference in races, train to run downhill fast - braking is a waste of energy!
 sutty 31 Oct 2006
In reply to brt:

I deliberately left whos fault it was vague, as the planners may have got it wrong, OR they intended people to go a different way but people just took the shortest way.

I know it is not a stroll in the park, but fell races deliberately keep ruuners away from dangerous crags and dangerous scree and shale slopes.
In reply to sutty:

It was a path/track/possibly bridleway! There were sight see'ers (sp?) pushing prams up it when we were coming down!
 Mattyk 31 Oct 2006
In reply to sutty: It was a track/bridleway and the planners intended people to go down it hence the positioning of the final CP vs finish.

It was fine, people hurtung themselves on it is just their own fault!
 Marc C 31 Oct 2006
In reply to brt: We rather enjoyed the forest mud slope at full tilt - probably because the end was in sight (and it allowed loonies like us to make up some time)

In reply to duncan Irving: Me no foam, no balloon bed, no thermarest - no sleep
 lummox 31 Oct 2006
In reply to brt:
> (In reply to sutty)
>
> It was a path/track/possibly bridleway! There were sight see'ers (sp?) pushing prams up it when we were coming down!

Ermm, we must have had a different descent then- this was a v.narrow firetrack, not really a path and I would`ve loved to see people pushing a pram up it.

BTW, done 13 MMs and never seen one with such a dodgy descent... on which we also passed people : )
In reply to Marc C:

Marc - a few words - bubble wrap, bubble wrap, bubble wrap! Look into the eyes, not around the eyes!! Bubble wrap! I slept fitfully for nine hours solid, lovely toasty and warm. We went very light helped by the promise of mild weather. It has to be said although conditions were bad for nav on the Saturday it wasn't really a cold one this year, was it?
 Marc C 31 Oct 2006
In reply to lummox: Yes, I would have liked to see anyone manage to push a pram up the tree-littered very steep very muddy bank we leapt down! Though when I got to the bottom I noticed others coming down over to the right.
 Marc C 31 Oct 2006
In reply to brt: Bubble wrap sounds a cool idea. Thanks for tip. No it wasn't *that* cold (thank god, because I had no dry clothes and slept in damp t-shirt and undies! Ugh..)
In reply to lummox:
> (In reply to brt)
> [...]
>
> Ermm, we must have had a different descent then- this was a v.narrow firetrack, not really a path and I would`ve loved to see people pushing a pram up it.
>
> BTW, done 13 MMs and never seen one with such a dodgy descent... on which we also passed people : )

It has to be the same one, surely? It was CQ on the long score, the same in other classes? When I say pram, it was one of those 3 wheel off road models. Still the path "we" were on was great!!!
 Jonathan T 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin: The bad weather on Saturday and the rough ground was a real bonus for me and my mate, it meant that people over did it on the first day and then had an easy second day. We went up 36 places on the second day in the long score and had our best ever finish due to people having an easy second day. Plus we found some tracks and could get some running in. Looking forward to having a good go at it next year with some consistent training. Hope there's more bad weather!

On the subject of what to sleep on, I've now given up on balloon beds, they don't pop but they always slide out from under me. My mate slept on bubble wrap and said it was great but I might take the smallest thermarest I can purchase next year.

The Howgills seems to follow Galloway, wonder if it'll be there next year?
 HC~F 31 Oct 2006
In reply to brt: I think they're talking about the bit getting down to CQ, not from CQ to the end. One disadvantage of being so slow is that you have to go through the muddy bits after hundreds upon hundreds of people have been there before you.... by the time we were doing it no-one was even attempting to walk or run through it, everyone was scrambling through the trees at the side to avoid it. There was also a mountain rescue team there looking for a bloke with a suspected broken ankle.
 Simon Caldwell 31 Oct 2006
In reply to lep:
> What was happening with B class on Day 1 - looking at the results some people did the second CP and others didn't?

They all did it, for the ones where it's apparently missing it's marked in the notes at the end as 'allowed'.

There were an awful lot of controls that weren't working at all or were working intermittently.
Anita 31 Oct 2006
In reply to brt: Nah CW down to CQ was the really boggy soup bit, it came out onto the main track just down from CQ. CQ to finish, was as you say, a very nice track which we took at full pelt as well - must have passed about 20 teams in that we section.

That would make much more sense and also be in keeping with much of the terrain in the trees throughout the event.
In reply to brt:
> It has to be the same one, surely? It was CQ on the long score, the same in other classes?

No, as Helen says, it was the bit going down to CQ from above. We started going up from CQ to bag the control 1km up the hill as we had half an hour to spare, when we got to the bottom of that ride it was obvious that we'd stand no chance of getting up it in the remaining time, let alone down again!

lep 31 Oct 2006
Ah cool thanks as i thought. t'other half was feeling a bit peeved but then it was his first exposure to MM/Long O.

Given they had to use so many controls 'cause of the SNH restrictions, not surprising that some were down.
In reply to sutty:
> know it is not a stroll in the park, but fell races deliberately keep ruuners away from dangerous crags and dangerous scree and shale slopes.

This was just a steep ride, which late in the day became a steep mud chute due to wet weather followed by hundreds of feet. Not dangerous at all unless you chose to fling yourself down as fast as possible - which most seemed to!
In reply to Jonathan T:
> The Howgills seems to follow Galloway, wonder if it'll be there next year?

I'd be surprised if it were (though pleased as it's quite local), given that it was in the Eastern lakes last year. My money would be on somewhere further south, Dartmoor again perhaps? Note that my guesses are almost always wrong, though I did get the location of the overnight camp right when looking at the map on Friday evening
 Rubbishy 31 Oct 2006

The guy in charge of prize giving said he would see us all again next year, but further south.

My money is on Northumberland, the Wooller KIMM in 2001 ? was a good one.

Balloon beds - nice idea, arse in practice. I usually use a lightweight therma rest or scrap of karrmat under my hips.

The problem I had this year apart from general pie eating unfitness, was the lack of good descents. I am steayd uphill but make loads of time running downhill at full shag and keepng a good clip onthe flat. It was so effing boggy that I spent most of my time trying not to break my bog ridden leg as I ptiched over.

In reply to John Rushby:
Northumberland would be good, as long as it's not the Cheviot, I've had enough of tussocks.

I slept for 11 hours on my balloon bed, woken up once when one burst, then several more times when my feet froze (managed to get my dry socks wet the night before).

Why do they have to wake everyone up at 6am, we then had 3 1/2 hours to kill until our start! At least it was sunny.
 Rubbishy 31 Oct 2006

The revielle - one day I shove those bloody bagpipes so far up that lads arse he will playing Flower of Scotland everytime he shits for weeks
Etak 31 Oct 2006
In reply to John Rushby: no bagpipes for the C and short course this year - just the quietest man with a loudhailer- much better
 net 31 Oct 2006
In reply to lep: Hello, is that why they only got the first checkpoint?

Still, at least they started, not like us! I went for a run on Pen Y Ghent on Sunday, that was nice and wet and muddy too, but still not as satisfactorily miserable as the KIMM
 Marc C 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin: Interesting that Simon Nadin (B class) and Shane Ohly (think Elite?) were taking part.
 lummox 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Marc C: one of the winners in Elite (Al Powell) is a climber of some note as well, Marc : )

Always depressing to see the speed with which the Powell bros and others run past me on MMs : (
ceri 31 Oct 2006
In reply to brt: I believe people are talking about the rather exciting boggy muddy bit from C-class check point 5 directly south to the last compulsory checkpoint, not last CP to end which was, as you say, a trach.
In reply to Mattyk:

>
> Downhill is where you can really make the difference in races, train to run downhill fast - braking is a waste of energy!

Downhill is about the only form of running that I could do by Sunday At 14 stone I find it pretty easy to do - braking is the hard bit. Not sure why there were people wandering up that last section before the line, it just needed one lump like me wiping out and there'd be an accident. And what was that bloke with the camera behind the log doing?

Anyway, I had a great time - shame I didn't meet any of you again.

Oh, and why does every pretend that it's a really miserable event? I love running through bogs in the rain for hours and hours.
 lummox 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Duncan Irving:
> (In reply to Mattyk)
>
> [...]
At 14 stone I find it pretty easy to do

lightweight
 lithos 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Marc C:

shane ohly has been doing em a while , has written an article on them for planetfear
and an intersting article on how he bust his foot falling from a solo a few weeks before
the kimm/lamm a few yeasr back- all on planetfear.

how many people on here realised that CQ was mandatory ?
we didn't and nearly missed it but decided it was worth it.

The run in from that was brilliant fun, and apologies to the team
punching the finish that i took out due to lack of brakes but we were 33 seconds
late !
 UKC Forums 31 Oct 2006
This thread was started in the wrong forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
Anita 31 Oct 2006
In reply to John Rushby: Ballon beds are great. Converted my bloke to them on this one. I've used mine a few times now and never had a balloon burst on me! We too managed about 11 hours sleep Sat night, even got back to sleep after the piper as we weren't starting 'til 9.18.
It was a beautiful sight on Sat night looking round the camp seeing all the headtorches bobbing around with clusters round a few stoves.
Wonder what was the idea of not putting your rubbish in the skip 'till you were through the first start line?
In reply to Anita:

> Wonder what was the idea of not putting your rubbish in the skip 'till you were through the first start line?

I was a bit bemused by the skip as we thought that all rubbish should be carried out. On the subject of rubbish, we found a lot of the little pink OMM stickers which had fallen off people's maps. We picked a few up but it won't do relationships with the landowners any good if they're still fluttering about in a couple of years' time.
ceri 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Duncan Irving: yes, those stickers seemed a bit of a stupid idea- what on earth were they thinking to put paper-based stickers on OMM maps?!
In reply to Duncan Irving:
You're allowed to dump some stuff (empty food packets and gas cyclinders etc), but not "equipment". But people were openly throwing out bubble wrap and the like without being challenged so perhaps it only includes compulsory equipment?

I'm told that they started using the skips after problems with people hiding rubbish under rocks. Very sad.
 Marc C 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Anita: I imagine it was a German ex-hippy called Klaus who patented the balloon bed as an idea that came to him during a psychedelic trip & is now laughing his little lederhosen off all the way to the bank
Maybe I'm just envious cause I didn't sleep a wink !
Bubblewrap for me next time..er, did I say NEXT TIME?
In reply to lithos:
> (In reply to Marc C)
>

> how many people on here realised that CQ was mandatory ?
> we didn't and nearly missed it but decided it was worth it.
>

Having been caught out once before, it's always the first thing I look for on the map.
lep 31 Oct 2006
In reply to net: Big wet woose (sp?) is why they quit before the first control (i can say this 'cause he won't read it!!). Rob did say it was worse than last year tho so I suppose they can be forgiven.

Bought some dive gear on sat and went to Burbage north on sunday - very sunny, and amusingly took the piss out of a mate who's giving up climbing for MTB and struggled on a VS (i can do this even tho i refused to lead anything!!!!)
 net 31 Oct 2006
In reply to lep:
> (In reply to net) Big wet woose (sp?) is why they quit before the first control (i can say this 'cause he won't read it!!). Rob did say it was worse than last year tho so I suppose they can be forgiven.

That's what i suspected. But what a long way to travel to only get one control in! :os

<hijack>

>
> Bought some dive gear on sat and went to Burbage north on sunday - very sunny, and amusingly took the piss out of a mate who's giving up climbing for MTB and struggled on a VS (i can do this even tho i refused to lead anything!!!!)

Oooh, if i'd've known you were heading Peakwards on Sunday, I might have been tempted to join you. I couldn't convince anyone to head out for some Yorkshire grit (I was at my mum & dad's on Saturday night).

</hijack>

Ahem, yes, the OMM, sorry...

Carry on everyone...

Raph B 31 Oct 2006
In reply to ceri:

You guys finished one place above us in C! Well done.

Really enjoyed the OMM this year, even though the weather was pretty bad on Saturday, and the vertical mud descents. Great fun!
ceri 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Raph B: you too! good time was had in our team. I still havent worked out how come our day 2 time was so much closer to the winners times than our day 1 time- i tohught we ran just as hard both days. Maybe all the top teams slow down on day 2!
 Rubbishy 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Alphin:

As I said to Marc C when we set out on the Saturday and his first KIMM.

"Running, first thing in the mornign, in the cold and the wet, sodden and shivering and wondering when you will next eat. just like public school, only without the buggery"
 Al Evans 31 Oct 2006
In reply to John Rushby:
> (In reply to Alphin)
>
> As I said to Marc C when we set out on the Saturday and his first KIMM.
>
> "Running, first thing in the mornign, in the cold and the wet, sodden and shivering and wondering when you will next eat. just like public school, only without the buggery"

Oh, I always thought that was mandatory in the KIMM?
Clauso 31 Oct 2006
In reply to John Rushby:
>
> ... just like public school, only without the buggery"

He told me that it was at that point that his heart sank...
 Rubbishy 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

Hey, I managed a leg over at one KIMM ( and of the opposite sex and not a barnyard animal either).
 Marc C 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Al Evans: As I snuggled into my sleeping bag, I DID observe John playing with what appeared to be an 18-inch long red sausage, but I rationalized it as something to do with his balloon bed (maybe I'm just naive?).
 Mattyk 01 Nov 2006
In reply to Alphin: Photos online at sleepmonsters - i really should buy some less offensive trousers to run in!

http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk/photoshop.php?basket_ID=1162387436&event...
 Paul Atkinson 01 Nov 2006
In reply to Alphin: Bloody hell. I've always been unphotogenic but the world of fell running seems to have a particular photographic grudge against me. If I could just have ONE half decent action shot to stick on the mantlepiece to satisfy the vanity it would be nice. There must be dozens of fell race and MM pics of me by now and they're all spacky. I'm off to sulk in my room
 Duncan Irving 01 Nov 2006
In reply to Mattyk:

Which one's you? Tell me you were the middle-aged guy with the shiny stripey blue thingies on his legs?

I can fly:

http://www.sleepmonsters.co.uk/photoshop.php?event_id=3430&gallery_id=1...

2nd row, right hand end.
 Marc C 02 Nov 2006
In reply to Paul Atkinson: Trouble with most of the photos I've seen is that evryone tends to be smiling inanely at the camera. Needed more of those private moments of despair and tedium plus images of people slithering all over the place!
 HC~F 03 Nov 2006
In reply to Marc C: Can't see any of me!
I have more photos of the despair and tedium variety on John's camera that I carried with me, and when he finds his USB cord I might be able to look at them....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...