UKC

Bouldering in Lakes (Keswick)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sean Bell 29 Oct 2006
Any info greatly appreciated.
Goin to Keswick this weekend with family (non climbers) but will take my mat if there are good boulders about?
Hotbad Peteel 29 Oct 2006
In reply to Barry Chocolate:

carrock fell, honister pass (drive up the pass and stop by the big boulder up frmo the slate works and make stuff up). Look at http://www.lakesbloc.co.uk for the guides
p
OP Sean Bell 29 Oct 2006
In reply to Hotbad Peteel: nice one, cheers mate.
 JimR 29 Oct 2006

Don't go near the Bowderstone unless you want treated as a zoo animal! Was there last week and started bouldering, 40 seconds later there was a shout of "Come and watch the climber!" another 30 seconds there was a semicircle of 30 tourists behind me .. sat down and put my shoes back on and they still watched me! Bluidy manners!
Hotbad Peteel 29 Oct 2006
In reply to JimR:

more to the point, dont go to the bowderstone unless you can climb v8 consistently, or just fancy failing for a day on smoething really steep and polished
p
OP Sean Bell 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Hotbad Peteel: Aye, I had a look through those online guides and decided the Bowderstone was out due to it looking a bit nails. Id rather have half a chance of making at least a couple of moves!.Carrock fell sounds good to me.
 Mike Hartley 30 Oct 2006

<Shakes head pitifully>

You're going to keswick...and you want to boulder?! You've got Borrowdale 10 minutes away, with easy soloable classics like little chamonix, etc...and you WANT to boulder?! What is the world coming to? ;¬)
 Alan Stark 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Mike Hartley:

Anything to keep the hordes off the proper crags cant be a bad thing -- though some good quality routes on the less popular Borrowdale crags could do with more traffic to stop the vegetation reclaiming them.

Once they're overgrown again, the SSSI brigade will prevent them from being re-excavated.
OP Sean Bell 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Alan Stark: Im going to Keswick with my wife(non climber) and 2 year old son (non climber).
I dont solo much, this is my choice, esp not on a family hol.
So my options are, bouldering!!
Been to lakes a couple of times this summer, done Wee Cham in ma rollerblades, Adam in ma flip flops, MGC in ma stockings and Kransic crack direct in ma clogs.I think I possibly seconded The Bludgeon whilst wearing slippers and a stetson aswell.
I just want a wee family bouldering day.Awrite with you?

xxx
 Alan Stark 30 Oct 2006

No probs you pays your money and takes your choice

There's Langsrath, Seathwaite, Carrock Fell, Honister, or even Thirlmere if the water level's low enough.

There's hardly any shortage of decent boulders in the area, if you're prepared to look and you dont have to be a human fly to climb some of them.

Head End Quarry is pleasant for an hour or so, and has a nice grassy landing and places for kiddlywinkles to play in relative safety.

If it's wet, and Keswick walls too crowded, try Penrith or Cockermouth -- both are smaller but relativey cheap!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Oct 2006
OP Sean Bell 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Chris Craggs: Aye, nice one.Will prob order a copy of that, also downloaded a few guides.
The missus wants to try bouldering instead of climbing as she is totally freaked with heights but 'gets' the being on rock thing so somewhere fairly easy to start with.Cool, ta.
OP Sean Bell 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Alan Stark: Cheers for suggestions.
 Andy Hobson 30 Oct 2006
In reply to Mike Hartley:

I would love to watch you solo Little Cham.

And Shepherd's is sh*t anyway. I've never been but I reckon Carrock Fell would be a far more satisfying day out.
 pinkie 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Andy Hobson:
> (In reply to Mike Hartley)
>
> I would love to watch you solo Little Cham.
>
> And Shepherd's is sh*t anyway. I've never been but I reckon Carrock Fell would be a far more satisfying day out.

??????? how can you say summot is sh^t wen ya never been dude !!! hahahah

OP Sean Bell 31 Oct 2006
In reply to pinkie: I think he meant he'd never been to Carrock Fell...

Apollo 31 Oct 2006
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> Any use?

Yeah I did find one use... it makes a great coaster

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...