UKC

Head torch for running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 idiotproof 03 Nov 2006
Due to my work schedule I very rarely now will have the chance to run during daylight hours. I run in a wood a mile or so from from the nearest light source so to avoid tripping over everything and having to call out mountain rescue I need a headtorch I can wear.

what does everyone think, what do you all use
OP idiotproof 03 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof:

crap wrong topic/forum thingy
 woolsack 03 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof: I took two, one on head a little led petzl one and a bigger old fashioned petzl bulb one in my hand for tricky bits where more light needed. that was a mixture of dark lanes and paths
Phylis 03 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof: I use a Tikka XP (Petzl), works a treat....
fra5911 03 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof:

This should do: http://www.holophane-online.com/prismbeam.shtml

You could rent a midget to run along behind you with it @

www.shortarse.com
trevor simpson 03 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof:

smear some pld bark on your face and run around brandishing a couple of these mothers
fra5911 03 Nov 2006
In reply to trevor simpson: Eh??
 lost1977 03 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof: ]

i always feel safer running with led's for light (something about not loosing your peripheral vision with led's)
 UKC Forums 03 Nov 2006
This thread was started in the wrong forum and has now been moved.
Please could you try and post in the correct forum, it makes life easier for both users and moderators.

Forum descriptions - http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/forums.html
mik 03 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof:

None, bet you will see more without it if you get used to the darkness.
(unless your unable to see in the dark at all)
 dycotiles 03 Nov 2006
In reply to mik:

Well you have to see how idiotproof running route is. If he has to go from well lit areas to darkness you might not get a chance for your eyes to 'adapt' to the darkness, so a head torch is a sensible option. Perhaps a lightweight LED torch is best.
Plumb-bob 03 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof:
I think it depends on 2 things.

1, are you doing any speed work on these runs?
If so you need a good far reaching spot and a handheld high intensity led.

2, Will you be running over the same bit of ground or on easy formed trails?
If you will be then you should just take it easier till you know the trail and just go with a high intensity hand held.

I do alot of trail running at night and find that this combintaion works best as I can vary the amount of illumination without excess weight on my head.

Rob
 earlsdonwhu 03 Nov 2006
In reply to Phylis: so did i on Wednesday but when the batteries gave up, i was glad for a fullish moon!!
 steveshaking 04 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof: I use a Silva L1, used to use a tikka plus, but the lack of focused beam made it hard to run on uneven ground or see wet patches. Also the battery contacts weren't that good. The L1's beam is fantastic, battery life very good, better build quality, down sides are alittle less comfy and more weight (4xAA). Come with a c cell alternative battery box included in the package which makes it more adaptable.
 Bob 04 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof:

Used to use a Tikka but have moved to a Myo which is much brighter and still not too heavy.

boB
 ben b 04 Nov 2006
In reply to Bob: There's a huge thread about this over at fellrunner.org.uk forums.

HTH

Ben B

In summary though, silva bright, Princeton Tec Apex popular, lots of people say Myo XP. Roughly.
 Bob 04 Nov 2006
 ben b 06 Nov 2006
In reply to Bob: Thankyou Bob, that's much more helpful!

Ben B
VicS 06 Nov 2006
In reply to idiotproof:
I got a head torch from netto's for less than a fiver. But I am a bit of a tight sod. Not used it for running but intend to. Works well but is slightly bulkier than the more expensive versions. Even if it's to bulky it'll certainly come in very handy. Plus, according to my big sis (also tight) Aldi have some LED lights that you strap round arms and ankles. These are of course to stop you getting splatted by cars rather than to allow you to see where you're going, or in my case, let the local muggers know you're on your way so they can get ready to pounce!
Happy running. Vk
 Fume Troll 06 Nov 2006
In reply to Phylis:
> (In reply to idiotproof) I use a Tikka XP (Petzl), works a treat....

Me too.

Cheers,

FT.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...