UKC

Rope bag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reaver2k 03 Nov 2006
Quick question, whats the point in a rope bag, im thinking mainly single pitch here because obviously for multipitch it could be (somehow?) secured to your belay and the rope flaked into it?
But on a single pitch, do people take them up on there back and stuff them in the bag at the top instead of coiling? Just asking as I find coiling rope rather time consuming, even though it has got alot quicker nowerdays.

Also, how am i supposed to lay the coiled down on the floor so I dont have to flake it all through at the bottom of a climb before climbing, or is this a must? If i just try and pull it through its always got knots!
 smithy 03 Nov 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

Stops your rope getting covered in crap, and makes it easy to carry about.

And the answer to "how am i supposed to lay the coiled down on the floor so I dont have to flake it all through at the bottom of a climb before climbing, or is this a must? If i just try and pull it through its always got knots!" is....'carefully'...

kajsurfer 03 Nov 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

Rope bags are were not designed for use on multipitch routes but got popular when sport climbing boomed in the UK. They often have an integral groundsheet. You don't have to coil your rope atall just flake it onto the groundsheet at the start. Climb your single pitch route and drop the rope straight back onto the groundsheet, no coiling. Some have loops for tying off the ends of the rope. drag the sheet along to your next route grab an end tie in and off you go. No knots, fewer kinks and no grit or muck on your rope. At the end wrap it up stuff it in the bag and it'll be ready to go next time you open the bag. No fuss.
OP Reaver2k 03 Nov 2006
In reply to kajsurfer:

I always feel like I'm putting people in danger by throwing a full rope down onto the ground below, atleast when im at stanage popular or burbage north where theres queues, besides id miss the bag anyway. If I just "throw my rope" on the floor, it always ends up getting tangled, at the moment I have to unwrap the rope, throw it on the floor so it flakes out, run all 60m through tie into the top end (so its coming off the top) climb to the top, bring my second up and coil the rope again, only to uncoil it at the bottom of the next route! Just wondering if there was a quicker way of doing this!
 smithy 03 Nov 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

Only throw about 6 coils down, let the weight of the rope drag the rest down. Leaves it ready for the next climb!

kajsurfer 03 Nov 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

You're right that's the way it's done I was just telling you what rope bags were designed for i.e. sport climbs where you would generally lower off back to the ground and then pull the rope dropping it in a more or less tidy pile on or near your rope bag ground sheet. Generally speaking when trad climbing you'll be finishing at the top and bringing up your second, then coiling the rope before descending by some easy way. Smithy was right saying that care is the best way to avoid kinks and knots though to some degree they are inevitable, kinks can be caused by Figure of Eight devices and the method of coiling itself. Unkink your rope by throwing the full length of it off an edge keeping one end at the top! (with no-one below obvously). Let it to untwist naturally.
 Alan Stark 03 Nov 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

It's amazing how people get conned into buying things.

I have a standard Ikea blue bag - purchased legally in Dubai I hasten to add, which does the job nicely at a fraction of the cost. I dont have to worry about anyone nicking it, or losing it.
Removed User 04 Nov 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:

Listen Reavo, rope bags are for idiots. What is the point indeed. When you and your second get to the top of the climb, coil it and then carry it down. Then cleverly resuse the rope for your next climb. Your rucksack will make an excellent temporary bag for moving it any great distance...
OP Reaver2k 04 Nov 2006
In reply to Removed User:

Yeah the main question here is how do I reuse a coiled rope without having to pass it all through (if i dont it comes out knotted) how should I place it on the floor or am i just always unlucky when I throw it down?
 JPGR 05 Nov 2006
In reply to Reaver2k: Or just use a rope back for where its best which is sports climbing and indoors. Lets you move your rope around as all ready stated without having to recoil it every time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...