UKC

Wanted: Winter Mountaineer with Sign Language Skills

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Jarvis 15 Nov 2006
Alan Kimber is running a winter mountaineering course in early January with a deaf person attending and is looking for a winter mountaineer with good sign language skills to help out on the course.

The course is already being run by a mountaineering instructor so you would be required to assist in the communication process and need to be happy on Scottish winter mountaineering terrain up to a maximum of grade II.

So a heavily discounted / free course is available to anyone with the above skills.

Please contact Alan direct at

alan@westcoast-mountainguides.co.uk
 Norrie Muir 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Rob Jarvis:

I did not realise Alan could not type.

A good 'translator' may charge more than Alan would for someone on his course, so I think a discount the other way may be appropriate.

Tell Alan I was asking for him and will hopefully see him this winter.

Monk 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Rob Jarvis:

This is a long shot... but is this for a conville course? If so I know someone who is attending one who is very good at sign language.
 Caralynh 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Rob Jarvis:

May know someone (has done plenty of mountaineering, and is fluent in sign language) - will point him to this thread.
 Wilf2 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Rob Jarvis: I know someone who might fit the bill. I'm trying to get an e:mail address for him so I can point him at this.

Cheers,

Wilf.
 Carolyn 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Rob Jarvis:

There's also a (national?) walking/mountaineering club for deaf people - I've come across them briefly in the Lakes. Don't have any contact details, I'm afraid, but a Google search might come up with something useful?
OP Rob Jarvis 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Thanks folks and Yes Norrie - Alan can type himself - (sometimes even with both fingers) but is currently sunning himself on the banks of the Red Sea.

Sends his regards back and asks why your on the internet when there's all that snow up The Ben!
 Norrie Muir 15 Nov 2006
In reply to Rob Jarvis:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
>
> Sends his regards back and asks why your on the internet when there's all that snow up The Ben!

Yes, there is snow on the Ben, but I prefer to winter climb when the routes are in condition.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...