UKC

Phud

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flatlander 23 Nov 2006
Becuase I'm lazy I haven't done a search, but hey who has used one and what are your thoughts? Are they big enough for high ball? It looks biger than my POD one wondering if it is worth getting one?
 sasmojo 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Flatlander: mate they are quick good and have drop off a couple of high balls on them. However to be completely honest, I am looking at getting a POD myself, the foam ramps up better under a big impact.

The Phud is a good low cost mat, but even Alpkit will admit that it is not in the same league as the POD's, DropZones and so forth.

Although I have used it for highballs I wouldn't recommend it.
 hamish2016 23 Nov 2006
In reply to sasmojo:

Have you got the latest version? Since i believe they have changed the foam layers slightly to make firmer/better for highballs.

hamish
 callum 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Flatlander: I'm guessing you are not Scottish EW!
 sasmojo 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Hamish Dunn: no, but I am planning on buying a much fimmer pad and even Alpkit when discussing this said they can't match more expensive pads without having make theirs more expensive.

But have to say I have been happy with my Phud and it will not be retired, just not placed in the worse impact zone.
 hamish2016 23 Nov 2006
In reply to sasmojo:

if you're interested and you spoke to them before V3 read the section just under NEW COLOURS on this link
http://www.alpkit.com/index.php/colab/develop/phud-3-update/

They've changed the foam layers and my v3 seems harder than others i've seen.

Hamish
OP Flatlander 23 Nov 2006
In reply to callum:

I'm Canadian and happen to be in London, so more likely to climb at in the Peak over the winter than doing tones of Scotish routes
 sasmojo 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Hamish Dunn: was in relation to the V3 mate, another point, don't land in the fold and make sure you postion it well so it doesn't fold up on you on a big impact.

mate they are good pads, but I think some other are better after using many different ones which friends use.

it is like a WC Friend and a BD Camalot, both great, but I think the Camalot is a more refined series.
mszafran 23 Nov 2006
In reply to sasmojo:

I like my Dropzone, no need to worry about a fold (as it's not got one) and it was a bargain from the OS Outdoors Show a couple of years back.
 sasmojo 23 Nov 2006
In reply to mszafran: yeah my mates DZ is sweet as and the POD's seem great also.
 sasmojo 23 Nov 2006
In reply to mszafran: PS a fat boy like you would know.
In reply to Flatlander: they are nice, i dont mind taking a big fall onto them.
mszafran 23 Nov 2006
In reply to sasmojo:

I'm not fat, that's Ray you're thinking of. I must make a note to drop you next time you come climbing
 hamish2016 23 Nov 2006
In reply to sasmojo:
I know what you mean about the fold, maybe it would be better if they put the material foam back to front ie so that the fold is against the floor when you land meaning it can't fold up on you!

hamish
 sasmojo 23 Nov 2006
In reply to mszafran: no he is really fat, you're just fat and Phil is moderately fat. i am just fat as well, join the club. it's all good, and you won't drop me.

you love me too much1
 Rubbishy 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Flatlander:

mats schmats.

In my day we had a Teleys bar towel

and reconstructive surgery
fish08 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Hamish Dunn: Then your foot would go straight into the fold without any resistance. Wouldn't exactly be an improvement! By the very act of it folding you are getting some protection, but obviously, not a lot.

It seems a fairly simple choice. If you prefer a mat that doesn't fold buy an alternative. Personally, I will pocket the £70 saving on what is already a great mat. The Phud is such a big mat I would think you will be unlucky to land right on the fold with a wee bit of forward thought. A good spotter should help as well.
 sasmojo 23 Nov 2006
In reply to fish08: about 8-10 times in a week in font I landed in the fold, with very good and experienced spotters. it is not exactly something you or your spotter thinks about when you lob of a problem.

you are right when thinking about placement and such, it helps but does not eliminate, but it is a draw back in my book of any seamed folding pad.
fish08 23 Nov 2006
Maybe with a bit of home modification you could put a big strip of velcro along both sides on the fold (on the bottom, when its closed). Then when you open the mat they would bond together. Granted, it would likely seperate if you fell hard on the fold, but it may offer a bit more protection.
fish08 23 Nov 2006
In reply to sasmojo: Maybe your spotter should be taking that sort of thing into account though. I wouldn't expect you to remember it when you pop off a hard move, but your spotter should at least be aware of it. Much in the same way of them being aware of dangers on either side of the mat.
 sasmojo 23 Nov 2006
In reply to fish08: dude, these particluar spotters are ace and I rarely boulder outdoor with anyone else, and they're very experienced. Much harder boulders than I.

my opinion is the seamed folding mat is not the best. try a DZ or POD, go on you know you want to.
fish08 23 Nov 2006
In reply to sasmojo: Yep, fair enough, there is only so much you can do. Wasn't disagreeing really, just trying to offer an alternatively cunning plan for some users.
 sasmojo 23 Nov 2006
In reply to fish08: the vlecor idea is a goodin.
 sasmojo 23 Nov 2006
In reply to sasmojo: velcro, even
 jkarran 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Flatlander:

If you want to stiffen a mat up a bit you could always modify it by slipping some light corrugated plastic (estate agents signs a good source) between the foam layers.

jk
 hamish2016 23 Nov 2006
In reply to fish08:
Very good point! that wouldn't be good.

Perhaps something could be done with the removable shoulder strap by fixing it on the underside of the mat.
Could probably even attach the strap across the existing handles of the rucksack if you tightened it well enough. (strap underneath the mat of course)
This would stop it folding.

hamish
candyknees 25 Nov 2006
In reply to Flatlander: got one, love it, buy one.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...