UKC

Trimming yeti gaiters?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Gritdan 29 Nov 2006
Hey guys,

Just aquired a brand new pair of yetis for a tenner, fitted them to my scarpa mantas, bloody hard work that!! they seen to fit perfectly except the rand at front hangs under the sole by about half cm or so, this is gonna sound daft but is it ok to trim this or is it gonna affect the seal of the gaiter or lead to the rubber splitting?, should i let it wear down naturally? Any experience or sdvice appreciated.

Thanks
dan
Grunthos Gloop 29 Nov 2006
In reply to Gritdan: Are you using step-ins? Plastic or leather? The Mantas I remember from Betws-y-Coed Climber and Rambler days were grey leather and stiffened (but not rigid)
 JamieGreig 29 Nov 2006
In reply to Gritdan: I think he was talking about the gaiters more right? Shouldn't be a problem, just make sure it's a clean cut.
Gritdan 29 Nov 2006
In reply to Grunthos Gloop: last years mantas so semi stiffened b2 boots with the b2 grivel airtech crampons with newmatic bindings
Gritdan 29 Nov 2006
In reply to JamieGreig:yeah just wanted to know about trimming them, was gonna use a hot knife at work to cut so will be a good clean cut. cheers jamie.
Grunthos Gloop 29 Nov 2006
In reply to Gritdan: Aw, just superglue them on, it's worked for me for years, the bond will fail before the end of the season anyway...
 Merlin 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Gritdan: don't cut it at all, just leave it naturally wear, providing it doesn't get in the way.
 climbingronnie 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Gritdan:

I trimmed the instep of my yetis to fit my boots with a sharp penknife and that worked fine. I wouldn't bother with a hot knife, it'll make a mess. (But then so does the superglue, and you definately need to use that if you want them to stay on!)

Just cut carefully and slowly and make smooth rounded cuts rather than perpendicular ones if you need to do the instep - prevents any splits propagating through the rubber.

The seal may look good but you will still find water gets in underneath it (along with mud, sand, silt and other crap), supergluing the rubber rand to the boot helps prevent this but will make a mess of your mantas' leather.
 gear boy 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Gritdan: pull the rand up so it does not hang under the sole, i dont recommend cutting yeti rands, it will accelerate the failure of the rand
 Burnsie 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Gritdan:

as others have said dont cut them - it will just start a split. I also find seam grip good for glueing them on.
 Rob Dyer 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Burnsie: can you get them off again once you have glued them on without wrecking the boots? I'm thinking about getting a pair for this winter but I wouldnt really want them on my boots in the summer for alpine stuff - far too hot!
Jonah 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Gritdan: Just spend time gently tugging at the 'fabric' part of the yetis until the rand has come up to where it should be.

Then glue them.
 Burnsie 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Rob Dyer:

I've only glued them to plastics so dont take them off much. Seamgrip is rubber glue so you can peel them off plastics if need be. If you glued them to the rubber rand they should be OK.
NB Seamgrip has been proven to cause bollock cancer so make sure use use gloves because it can get messy.
 Rob Dyer 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Burnsie: well I never - seamseal and cancer, never know that - every day's a school day! Out of interst where did you hear that from and how is it supposed to affect you - i.e absorbtion through skin or ingestion etc? I've used the stuff for years to repair my tent, waterproofs and loads else. So you reckon if I stick the rand of the gaiter to the boot rand it will be peel-offable with a bit of effort without tearing anything? Thats good to know - it must be a mission trying to get the glue on in the first place though if they are that tight fitting and problematic to fit?
 Burnsie 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Rob Dyer:

"where did you hear that from"

It's on the warning on the back of the tube !

"peel-offable with a bit of effort without tearing anything?"

With plastics this is possible - don’t know how it would affect leather though - i would try and keep it on the rubber rand although having done this before i know that could be difficult.
Woodman 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Gritdan:
Rather than superglue, try 'skin glue' - the stuff that ski mountaineers use. I've used this for years to glue yeti rands to my mantas. Glue bonds well yet is easy to remove and does'nt leave boots looking a mess afterwards!
Gritdan 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Woodman:and everyone else: Thanks guys all good stuff as always think im gonna pull them down tight as its only half a cm and dosen't catch or affect my crampons ataching, glue the buggers in place and just let the rands wear naturaly. Cheers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...