UKC

El Chorro or Gorges du Tarn

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Kassyk 05 Dec 2006
I'm planning a sports climbing trip next easter. There's going to be four people going with a range of abilities from 6a to 7c. Which destination would be better from a climbing and accomodation point, and for days off. I've not been to either venue so I don't really know what to expect. Cheers everyone
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 05 Dec 2006
In reply to Andy Kassyk: Chorro has heaps more in the grade sixs. Both have plenty of option accomodation wise, chorro is probably cheaper. GDT has lots more to do on none climbing days , has more good 7a-7c routes and shorter walk ins.
 GDes 05 Dec 2006
In reply to Andy Kassyk: Tarn isnt too good under 7a. above 7a its amazing, miles better than chorro. Accomodation/general living at chorro is lovely. good biking/walking/relaxing for days off
 Boy Global Crag Moderator 05 Dec 2006
In reply to Andy Kassyk: Chorro has a wider variety of styles, GDT is very pocket orientated but has many more quality 7s than Chorro. The bolts are quite spaced at GDT compared to Chorro.
OP Andy Kassyk 05 Dec 2006
In reply to Andy Kassyk:

Someone I was talking to at the weekend said that a lot of the bolts at el Chorro are old & dodgy and in need of replacing. Any views on this?
kos-d 05 Dec 2006
In reply to Andy Kassyk: just been to El Chorro. A few bolts were old and loos / rusty / worn / missing, but they are being replaced / looked after by the people from the shop in town. 5 euros from every guidebook they sell they put towards upkeep of the bolts. And there are a lot of new ones that they've put up, with there stamp on.
 Jeff25 05 Dec 2006
In reply to kos-d:

I think Tarn is one of THE best crags ive ever been to. I visited Chorro back in 2001 on a road trip and to be honest it was one of the worse venues we climbed at. The approaches were really long, the routes were polished and the walkway was out of action meaning half the routes were out of limits. it felt like a real 'has been' place. Even John Dunne turned up...

If you have a car or a number of cars then Gorge de le Jonte is literally 10/15min drive away from Les Vignes (in the Tarn) and has stacks of 6's. I cant recomend strongly enough the climbing at Tarn if youre in the 7th grade.

There is variety as well at the Tarn with not all the routes being overhanging, however the steeper stuff is in the majority.

In terms of rest day activity we went kayaking down the river from one of the rent places and theres a fair few nice walks etc.

Go for Tarn - you wont regret it.
 Big Rich 05 Dec 2006
In reply to kos-d:

is there a new guide book out- have not been for a few years but heading out soon. If there is how much is it ?

Cheers
Richie
kos-d 05 Dec 2006
In reply to Big Rich:
Guide book for El chorro is new (2005 I think) Good pictures and topos. 22 Euros in the shop in town.

I'm just getting back into climbing after a couple of years out due to work / woving job and so was just very happy to be climbing. Haven't done much in Europe as I learnt in Australia. But it's great for the 5s and 6s.
 richard kirby 08 Dec 2006
In reply to Andy Kassyk:

El Chorro's rubbish! Its noisy, not particularly scenic, bit scruffy & has very average sport routes. Plenty of other good Easter venues that offer far more.

Tarn is awesome. Plenty of variety altho' I'd agree with the comments about 7's upward for quality. We were there in Mid September and although the weather was ok...I'm not sure I'd go at Easter..particularly if its early. Everything was closing up ...seems the tourist season is short. Kayaking etc - closed..so I wouldn't rely on that for rest day activities in April. Some friends went a couple of Easters ago and whilst we were sunning it in Seynes (50 miles south)...they had cold damp days in the Tarn. Accomodation seems plentyful on the net...nice chalet style Gites 5 mins from crags.

R
 Neil Morrison 08 Dec 2006
In reply to Jeff25: I'd have to disagree, been to El chorro (including Desplomlandia)5 times totaling 6 weeks. The variety of routes in the 6s and 7s is excellent and has got better over the years. Style of routes is very varied. There is much more to the area than the routes of the walkway. There are a variety of newer routes on Las Frontales which are very good and taking the drive round to Desplomilandia gives a host more to go at and is a good hot weather venue. There is always something to do even if the weather is poor. My only reservation is that I hear there can be an enforced ban on going through the tunnels to Makinodromo and that would detract from a trip as it is a great crag at the grades mentioned and other crags are accessed inthe same way BUT you could easily fill a trip without going along the tunnels.
 Seymore Butt 13 Dec 2006
In reply to Andy Kassyk:

If you decide to go to the Tarn at Easter. DO NOT touch any of the caterpillars that festoon the crags and surrounding areas at that time of year.
I was warned by some Swiss climbers to keep clear but i must have touched one by accident and finished up with the most horrendous rash for a few days after.
You have been warned!
By the way the climbing's brilliant even with a rash

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...