UKC

rolling gate or slipstones?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
my brother is up for the weekend, and the weather is going to be good tomorrow (according to the bbc, so it *must* be right...).

but where to go for some good yorkshire grit? i've been eyeing up rolling gate for a while, does anyone know what sort of shape it is likely to be in at this time of year? dont fancy the long walk in to find its slimey and lichenous.

would the slipstones be a better bet? further away though, and routes tend to be shorter looking at the guide.

for those that have been, which would be the better bet?

andy 08 Dec 2006
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: Rolling Gate will be a bit green, I'd have thought. Doesn't get much traffic and is west/north west facing. Slippers is a great bet for this time of year - sunny and great for soloing and bouldering.

You could always do the Barden Moor classics enchainment - Central Slab at Crookrise, Dental Slab (or the easier one) at Rylstone and Rolling Gate Buttress and then down to the Dev at Cracoe for a pint - good if you can get picked up!
Anonymous 08 Dec 2006
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: slipstones will be in better shape.
know it wasn,t in the question but brimham has a lot of different aspects and plenty to go at IF dry.
jasa
 jkarran 08 Dec 2006
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I've never been to Rolling Gate so can't comment on that.

Slipstones is fantastic, the rock is perfect, takes very little drainage (despite it's moor edge location), is very exposed so dries quickly if there's a breeze. Sometimes the rain blows clear over the top and you can climb all day in showers.

About half of the lines are worth taking a rope for. Some landings are iffy without a pad though they drain well so it shouldn't be swampy.

A word of caution, your profile shows HS as your best onsight, if that's up to date you might find Slipstones a tiny bit limited as it's generally quite fierce and crimpy. That said, there's plenty of good <VS stuff there.

It's a top crag, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
jk
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

thanks for the suggestions, i think brimham might win out, its a bit closer. maybe save rolling gate and the slipstones for when the days start getting longer again...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...