UKC

Rope bag - any recommendations?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Emma Wheeler 02 Aug 2002
Hi, I'm looking to buy a rope bag, hopefully with the following features:
- big enough for a single 60m rope or 2 double 50m ropes.
- easy and comfortable to carry on long walk-ins, i.e., padded shoulder straps.
- hard wearing
- opens out to a reasonable size
- allows attachments of both rope ends

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any other features I should look for? Up till now it's been bung it in a rucksack and then chuck it on the floor/ground to climb, but I have a nice new rope and I think it deserves better.

Thanks in advance, Emma
stoney in exile 02 Aug 2002
In reply to Emma Wheeler: The rope is new until the first time you use it. Good luck.
 led 02 Aug 2002
In reply to Emma Wheeler:

I like the DMM rope bag because it has two shoulder straps rather than one (eg the POD rope bag), and a pocket for odds and sods. Other than that, I think they are all pretty much of a muchness.
Rick 02 Aug 2002
In reply to Emma Wheeler: yeah the DMM is the best one I've used, there's an attachment at each corner of the tarpaulin so you can attach all ends of yer double ropes, and when my 50m rope's in it I can still fit rack, harness etc etc
Emma Wheeler 02 Aug 2002
Cheers all, I'll definitely look at the DMM.
OP brianb 1 02 Aug 2002
In reply to Emma Wheeler: I have the Beal one with single strap.It's a bit of a pain to carry,you usually have to throw it over your head onto the top of your main bag.I would probably get one with two straps like a rucsack next time but apart from their usefulness in muddy conditions they are more trouble than they are worth.we usually transport the ropes to the crag in the bag then transfer to a backpack to walk in.unless your convinced you need one save your money.Just have an old sack or something to put it in when it is in the boot (you don,t want your rope to lay in anything that may affect it).Hope I have helped brianb
zac 03 Aug 2002
In reply to brianb 1: just bung it in a great big plastic carrier bag....tesco OR quicksave will do ,but if you wanna impress...then go for the Sainsbury's one,....sorry ..feeling silly at moment..

zac.
OP AnAntipodean 03 Aug 2002
In reply to zac:

Yes, the plastic bag solution has worked for me the last three years (and I'm being serious). Although, all my gear, inc rope gets carried in a rucksack anyway.
 Horse 03 Aug 2002

Why spend the money. I have used old pillows cases or the big stuff sack intended for storing my sleeping bag in. Work just fine.
In reply to Horse:

I think it's more the rope tarp feature of rope bags that people are looking for (?) My mate's Outdoor Designs one seems to do the job on tarp and bag fronts, and is cheaper than the DMM.

I just bought 2m x 1.5m of proofed nylon and use whatever straps I have to hand. May try to cobble something a bit more bag-like when I get settled in the house. Also good for sheltering under in the pissing rain...
 Horse 03 Aug 2002
In reply to captain paranoia:
> (In reply to Horse)
>
> I get settled in the house. Also good for sheltering under in the pissing rain...

Assuming it has decent roof
 steev 03 Aug 2002

if you wanna go budget use an IKEA blue bag (about 2squids) or use a rubble sack. they're decent enough.

if you wanna pay, then the DMM or OD ones are bestest.
OP Anonymous 05 Aug 2002

Avoid the Beal one like the plague - it's shite. Thin uncomfortable strap that always falls off your shoulder. Always swings round in front of you in awkward situations. Not big or secure enough to entrust your rack to. I never use mine any more. The DMM one's 100x better.

M

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...