UKC

How many Classic Rock ticks you done?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 14 Dec 2006
Bob's Classic Rock Ticks...(not sure how up to date)

http://www.aqvi55.dsl.pipex.com/climb/classic_rock.htm

Totals 81
Done 39
Remaining 42

Anyone done more than 39 here?

Mick
rginns 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

erm.

I've done 2,

Demo Route,
Doorpost

hmmm work to be done I think!!
 Andy Say 14 Dec 2006
Only 37 - but all soloed (I was on a mission)
 BALD EAGLE 14 Dec 2006

<comes out of closet>
53 done.28 to do.
Most of them in Scotland...
 AJM 14 Dec 2006

15. Plus attempted another (Great Gully on Craig y Ysfa in the rain). I'm getting less inspired by any of them that aren't big mountain routes now though.

AJM
 Mark Stevenson 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Not me. Done 25 and a1/2.

My Hard Rock total is even worse 12, although my Extreme Rock total of 7 is possibly more encouraging.
 SteveD 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Ummm 5 - I need to get out more.

Steve D
 Norrie Muir 14 Dec 2006

25 - pre Classic Rock

2 - post Classic Rock

0 - Future
 bluebrad 14 Dec 2006
In reply to SteveD:

Two - Tower Ridge and Flying Buttress - must get out more.

bluebrad
JonRoger 14 Dec 2006

Clean sweep, all but five (mostly in Scotland as it happens). Guess that makes me something of a saddo.

RG
 Doug 14 Dec 2006
In reply to bluebrad: Not quite sure what I've done on Birchens so somewhere between 35 & 40
 Dave Pritchard 14 Dec 2006

Not got guides to hand to be certain, but I think I've done 49.

Dave
 Caralynh 14 Dec 2006

Done all Peak, Yorkshire, and Cornwall, and about half of Wales and 1/3 of Lakes. Not started Scotland yet!
Also did Great Gully in the rain - interesting!

Anyone know if Climber's Club Original is going to have an alternative after the rockfall, or if there's still a line there, albeit at a different grade?
 John2 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Doug: I've done 26, as far as I can recall. Never attempted to deliberately tick them, though.
 Chris the Tall 14 Dec 2006
15 - 9 in the peak (predictable), 3 in the south west, 2 in Wales and 1 in Scotland, but suprisingly none in the Lakes. Mind you, it does always rain when I'm up there
 Liam M 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: 3 I think. Done Little Chamonix, Powder Monkey Parade, and I think it was Milestone Direct Route I did on Milestone buttress, but could be mistaken (we just took an easy looking line).

Oh, and I've failed to get over the crux of Topsail on a few occassions.
 Moacs 14 Dec 2006

11 to go. It`s (honestly) because a long-standing partner is on a mission to tick them all. Over 20 years now...

John
mik 14 Dec 2006

Only 2, but 1 was my third ever route on rock hehehe
 SiWood 14 Dec 2006

Done 55

Mainly just the Scottish ones to do (but saving the best until last)
 sutty 14 Dec 2006

Done more than I thought, 44.

Done about a third of hard rock as well at last count, not looked at extreme rock but likely to be low numbers.

Some that I should have got up were missed due to being in Scotland and down south, as only climbed at Avon and Cheddar and Goblins Combe I think.
 SonyaD 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: 5, one in Peak, one in Lakes and 3 in Scotland.
 nastyned 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Done 7 of those.
 Dringo 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: 28 all but great gully in wales, and a few of the ticks in scotland the routes were in winter conditions! Does that count?
 David Hooper 14 Dec 2006
21 for me Mick - just got the Dubhs bit of the Cuiullin for 22 - oh for a long spring off work in Scotland getting all those ticks
 SiWood 14 Dec 2006

Also completed 29 in Hard rock (although the demise of Deer Bield makes completing the tickathon somewhat harder now)

Hopefully Classic rock should all still be possible - Im not a ticker I just like to get good value from the books I buy!!
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> 0 - Future

Don't be so hard on yourself. There must be some VDiffs you can still manage, even at your age?
 Alan Stark 14 Dec 2006

14 and most of them were in the Lakes!

must get out more.
 Phil Anderson 14 Dec 2006

Just five so far - Three on Lliwedd and two on Dinas Cromlech.

More importantly though, every one of them has been an absolutely cracking outing!

GrahamD 14 Dec 2006

Demo Route down at Severe ? I'm all for resisting upgrades all the time but Demo Route is benchmark HS 4b, surely ?
 Dave Garnett 14 Dec 2006

About the same as Bob, heavily concentrated towards the bottom of his list. Nothing in Scotland or Armscliff, obviously!
 GrahamD 14 Dec 2006

40 if you can count Tower Ridge in winter.
Etak 14 Dec 2006
In reply to GrahamD: didn't Jamie Fisher do them all on one trip cycling between them all?
 Norrie Muir 14 Dec 2006
In reply to crossdressingrodney:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
>
> Don't be so hard on yourself. There must be some VDiffs you can still manage, even at your age?

There is a difference between 'still manage' and wanting to do a route. There is one route on the list that I may do, it is only co-incidental that it is in Classic Rock.

I only do routes that I think are worthwhile, I don't need some to point me out good routes.
 Tony Buckley 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: 38, plus attempts on 10 more that have provided some pathetic (Topsail) and some epic (Tower ridge, Clachaig gully and Crypt route) failures.

Fun days out, one and all!

T.
 2pints 14 Dec 2006

2 that i know of.

Flying Butress and Hope

Hope to get one or two more done this weekend if there are any others in Peak
 Chris Fryer 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I think I've done 24. Did Mitre Ridge itself, not CC, so sadly that doesnt count and I think I've done all the Peak Gritstone ones, although couldn't say for sure it's all a bit blurry in the mists of time. Hope to get the rest of the scotland ones ticked this year. Done none of the Lakes ones.
 Heike 14 Dec 2006

45!

Never even thought I'd done that many til you asked.
 220bpm 14 Dec 2006

20 done. More than I thought

Only out of the 55 on Bobs site tho.
 Chris_Mellor 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: A round two dozen. I'd love to finish the lot. Ardverickie Wall was my favourite.
Chris.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I'd love to setup a shared ticklist system in the UKC logbooks, so someone can build a ticklist, say "Classic Rock", or "Peak Jamming Cracks", etc. then people can tick the ones they've done and you can see how many more you've got left, and who has finished all of them.

Cheers
 Andy Say 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Dringo:
No. They count as Cold Climbs ticks!
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Dec 2006

Classic Rock 67 done - 14 to go
Hard Rock 56 done - 5 to go
Extreme Rock - can't remember - I sold it!

Chris
 CJD 14 Dec 2006

eight
 Bob M 14 Dec 2006

Done 73, 8 to go. Its taken me 36 years so far!

But the 8 include the Chasm and Long Climb, which sound like the hardest routes in the book.
 DougG 14 Dec 2006

I've done 4 of them. Impressive, eh?
 Caralynh 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Bob M:

That cheers me up a bit - my 34 were done in under 18 months. Then again, I know the hardest / most inaccessible / most weather dependent are still to go!
 whiting.jp 14 Dec 2006

Six in total, which seems reasonable for a year leading
 yer maw 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I think there is something sad about wanting to tick of lists composed by others, such as Classic Rock and the Munros.

I've done quite a bit of Classic Rock and some of Cold Climbs but not purposefully. There are loads better options and I might be sad but there are Munros I would go out of my way not to do so that I can honestly say I haven't done the Munros. The list of Munros is utterly stupid.
 tlm 14 Dec 2006

Have any women at all replied to this post? Is ticking other people's lists a boys thing?

I have no idea of how many I have done as I don't keep any record of my climbs - not even a tick in my guidebook! I purposefully never did, thinking that I could forget that I had done them in the first place and then redo them as though they were new climbs, all over again! yippeee!!!!
 A Crook 14 Dec 2006

classic rock 43

hards rock 6

extreme rock 1

not really gone hell for leather on this get them done one day.
 Caralynh 14 Dec 2006
In reply to tlm:

Yes! See above (near start of thread)
 Al Evans 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Interestngly, even as an old fart, I think I have done more Extreme Rock ticks than Hard Rock or Classic Rock, its not been deliberate its an accident.
My tick book is 100 Best Limestone climbs by Chris Craggs, I have done 65 of the 100, and I can still gain on this because I have by-passed quite a few of the easier ones. At my age I am never going to tick it all now, but its a great tick book if you can get your hands on it.
 Owen W-G 14 Dec 2006
A feeble 5 from classic and 4 from hard rock. Only a couple of hunderd to go.
 Al Evans 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Caralynr: I don't see it as a gender thing, I think its natural to weigh up your progress in a sport if you are commited to it, if you dont give a 'f', and thats a perfectly valid standpoint too, then you won't bother with ticking and recording your progress.
Its a bit like running in races and never bothering about your times. Thats fine, but it infers your ambition lies in other directions which is ok, it might be your job (mine never was) or it could be making a success of family life, maybe thats why my sporting ambitions always overlapped with my partners and my children. I dont see a problem with what is called 'Ticking', its just having goals in life. We may all choose different targets, some will choose the Wilson books, mine is the Craggs book others will just choose going through the grades in a guidebook, I see nothing wrong with this.
Equally I see nothing with not caring in the slightest, and just going out and enjoying climbing or walking or running for their own sake, providing you dont criticise people who take it just a bit more seriously.
 sutty 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

My tick list is all from before Classic Rock was published, so not been ticking them at all, in fact only copy I have seen is in the library, borrowed to read and returned.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Al Evans:
>
> My tick book is 100 Best Limestone climbs by Chris Craggs, I have done 65 of the 100, and I can still gain on this because I have by-passed quite a few of the easier ones. At my age I am never going to tick it all now, but its a great tick book if you can get your hands on it.

Good effort - I have done all 100 - though the top five were when they were aid routes!

Chris
 The Pylon King 14 Dec 2006

classic rock 44
 Bob 14 Dec 2006

39 but then you already knew that!

Out of those, only something like 8 were done "because they were in Classic Rock", that is I wouldn't have been likely to do them or visit those crags if the book didn't exist. The ones in the Peak were usually just done as part of a day on the crag and similarly for other parts of the country. These days, the Classic Rock routes are as much about grabbing something on an "off day".

As Ken's comments on the Needlesport website (or is it in the intro to Hard Rock?) make clear, the books are about getting people to go to somewhere new rather than just head to Stanage or wherever. There are definitely crags that I still want to visit - Carnmore for instance - and Hard Rock was definitely a factor in opening my eyes to that crag. However there are also crags and climbs that I'd like to go to that aren't in any of the series: The nose of Sgurr an Fheidler (sp?); Stuff in Strath Dionard and so on.

boB
 Norrie Muir 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Chris Craggs:
>
> Good effort - I have done all 100 -

You don't count, you made the list.
 Bob 14 Dec 2006
In reply to 220bpm:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> 20 done. More than I thought
>
> Only out of the 55 on Bobs site tho.

The list there is only of the routes in the main part of the book, it doesn't include the alternative list from the back.

boB
 The Pylon King 14 Dec 2006
In reply to The Pylon King:

actually thats 45
 Si dH 14 Dec 2006
only 18, plus an attem,pt on Main Wall. I would only do the mif I was at the relavant crag for another route now though. Hard Rock is where its at for me, theyre the routes that inspire me.
Ive only done 6 of them, plus an aborted attempt fro mnear the top of Debauchery, and on both Right Unconqerable and Suicide Wall (all in one pitch) I had to have a rest
 LakesWinter 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Si dH: I have done 14 classic rock route, no hard rock routes and 2 from cold climbs ( I think)
 Rob Platt 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Had to have a look and a count 29.
One of the lads I was on Lundy with this year who comes on here now and again I won`t give his name needs Coronation Street to complete hard rock he`s done classic rock as well.
All the best
Rob
 Horse 14 Dec 2006

29 from classic rock, 5 from hard rock and 6 from cold climbs. All of which is more than I thought before looking at the list. Clearly I will have to get my finger out.
 JamieAyres 14 Dec 2006

umm, twelve I think. Must get out more...
 JamieAyres 14 Dec 2006
In reply to JamieAyres:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> umm, twelve I think. Must get out more...

...and 6 Hard Rock ticks
 54ms 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Al Evans:

> My tick book is 100 Best Limestone climbs by Chris Craggs, I have done 65 of the 100, and I can still gain on this because I have by-passed quite a few of the easier ones. At my age I am never going to tick it all now, but its a great tick book if you can get your hands on it.

I got that over summer in a shop in hawskhead on the cheap and has definatly given me some insperation for next year.
 Mike C 14 Dec 2006

Done 6 from the full listing, plus 2 or 3 routes from the compilations, & loads of the alternatives (what does that say?). Still looking forward to visiting more of my now local ones.

Surprisingly I've done 6 1/2 from Hard Rock (including Deer Bield), particularly pleased over one of them after a 20-odd year layoff. Just the one from ER, & seconded the crux pitch.
 AJM 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Rob Platt:

Aye, I met him (assuming of course its the same guy, although I can't imagine there could be two - he did Moonraker a few days before heading out to Lundy) very briefly before he went out there, I was hanging round in North Devon in the few days before that lot went out.

Do you know what Carl P who was on that trip is up to at the moment? I've tried emailing him, but since about October he seems to have dropped off the map entirely? - hasn't answered emails or texts. Mail me if so.......

AJM
 Postmanpat 15 Dec 2006

25 (?) all before Classic Rock.None in Scotland

8 in Hard Rock all after Hard Rock .
 tonyw 15 Dec 2006
Classic Rock: 43, 4 solo (Little Cham, Wrinkle, Via Dolorosa, Flying Buttress)
Hard Rock: 7 (+several embarassing failures such as Gogarth top pitch, Diagonal, Chee Tor Girdle in the snow in big boots)
Extreme Rock: Err..0
 Chris Fryer 15 Dec 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Chris Craggs)
> [...]
>
> You don't count, you made the list.

Ken Wilson made the list in Extreme Rock, somehow don't think he ticked the lot.

Rob Platt 15 Dec 2006
In reply to AJM:Saw Carl on Lundy only seem to meet him there thought/ think they were going to Kalimnos try via the climbers club.
All the best
Rob
Not Fozzz 18 Dec 2006
In reply to balti boy:

> classic rock 43
> hards rock 6
> extreme rock 1

2 ahead of me on HR but otherwise exactly the same!

Okay - Classic Rock trivia question. There are 81 routes in the book, 2 of which are missing from the graded list at the back.

First to name them both gets some sellotape to hold their specs together and a spotters guide to Class 180 locomotives.

Mooncat 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Not Fozzz:

Done all the Welsh ones and most of the peak ones.

Don't know how many that is though, so don't know why I've written this.
 DerwentDiluted 18 Dec 2006

I'm about half way through, about a third of the way round the munros and about a third of the way through peak district subHVS routes. Very very sad. I need to get out less.
 TobyA 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: 28 I think, can't remember whether I have done some of the minor ones on grit or not. Where is April Crack and what's it like? Aren't all the Roaches one next to each other as well? Strange selection...
 Caralynh 18 Dec 2006
In reply to TobyA:

April Crack is at Stanage, just to the right of Black Slab.
Roaches: I suppose Black and Tans, and Technical Slab aren't far apart, but Via Dolorosa is on the Lower Tier
 lummox 18 Dec 2006
In reply to TobyA: a pathetic 25. Would like to get down to Cornwall and do some of that stuff..
 TobyA 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Caralynr:

> April Crack is at Stanage, just to the right of Black Slab.

Sorry - I knew it was on Stanage, just couldn't remember where. Perhaps I haven't done it.

> Roaches: I suppose Black and Tans, and Technical Slab aren't far apart, but Via Dolorosa is on the Lower Tier

That's right - so its Via Dolorosa that i haven't done.
 TobyA 18 Dec 2006
In reply to lummox: It's not so pathetic if you have a reasonable number of the Scottish ones. I was quite pleased to see how many I had done.
 lummox 18 Dec 2006
In reply to TobyA: s`pose that`s true. Am still waiting for a nice weekend to amble in to Beinn a Bhuird. 2007 - the year of "bimbling holiday rock ".
 EarlyBird 18 Dec 2006
24, mainly Wales and Peak - regular destinations. Scotland and South West - holiday destinations, that inevitably means there will be bad weather.

All ticked as a by-product of going climbing - I have never knowingly climbed a route because it is in CR, with the notable exception of Great Gully - a kind of route I would normally avoid like the plague and, as it turns out, justifiably avoid. Truly awful route.

Done all in England and Wales, plus those in Scotland except Cioch Nose, Long Climb, Long Crack, Archer Ridge, Crypt Route, the Chasm and the three Cobbler routes.

First was also my first lead - Flying Buttress in 1974. About time I ticked the rest - just need some good weather before the midges come!
Donna Ryan 21 Dec 2006
23 completed might have been more if Ken had included any Irish gems as I have spent a decade climbing there.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...