UKC

Has Rich Simpson stopped climbing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Dom Orsler 20 Dec 2006
A friend of mine says he's quit climbing to become a boxer...? Is he having me on?
In reply to Dom Orsler: He still posts a lot on UKB so I expect you are being had but who knows? UKB would be a good place to ask though....
Wingman 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:

I think Adam Lincoln may have said something about that on another thread.
 ChrisJD 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Richard Bradley:

UKB ??

is that UK Boxing ?
In reply to ChrisJD: bouldering
 ChrisJD 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

You mean there are web sites dedicated to bouldering?

Whatever next !
Dom Orsler 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Wingman:

Adam? Can you fill us in?
 Alex1 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:

According to a friend who knows him well he has quit climbing, don't know if he's taken up boxing.
Dom Orsler 20 Dec 2006
In reply to necromancer85:

So, possibly the most talented sport climber (along with e.g. Moon, Moffatt, McClure and Smith) the UK has ever produced has 'retired' from the sport just as he was getting going, and not a peep on UKC?

Am I missing something here?
 abarro81 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler: rumour from people in sheff seems to be he's still climbing but much less, and has taken up boxing (tho i heard from someone it was cage fighting!)
Dom Orsler 20 Dec 2006
In reply to abarro81:

This is getting really bizarre. Am I the only one that this strikes as all a bit odd?
 Norrie Muir 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:
> (In reply to abarro81)
>
> This is getting really bizarre. Am I the only one that this strikes as all a bit odd?

Sadly no. Many young talanted climbers/sportspeople give up all too early. I hope if he has stopped climbing, he sees the error and returns.
 sutty 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:

there is more to it I think, some back biting upset him and he decided to drop out of the pushing the limits for a while till he got the urge back.

That is my reading of it anyway, look at some old threads for details, and on planetfear.
Dom Orsler 20 Dec 2006
In reply to sutty:

Yes - a friend of mine discussed Rich with a very heavyweight UK sport climber while in Squamish last year, and consensus seemed to be that he was a massively gifted and promising climber, but a bit of a cocky yoof who rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way (John Dunne, anyone?). Climbers, unlike baseball players or football stars, don't have managers to do the PA stuff, so I think a lot of gifted young climbers fall into this trap.

I hope he comes back. World class. Who else is there at that age and that level in the UK?
TimS 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:
> (In reply to sutty)
>
>
> I hope he comes back. World class. Who else is there at that age and that level in the UK?

I agree, I think he will come back though. Tyler has a few years to catch up - he's arguably already world class and only 16, oh to be young and talented rather than old and weak!

gear boy 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to Dom Orsler)

> Sadly no. Many young talanted climbers/sportspeople give up all too early. I hope if he has stopped climbing, he sees the error and returns.

didnt andy pollitt do something similar?
dissapeared to OZ and never climb again

John2 21 Dec 2006
In reply to gear boy: Pollitt had been climbing for a great deal longer than Simpson when he emigrated, and had been around the top of the UK climbing scene for quite a few years.
 Ian McNeill 21 Dec 2006
In reply to gear boy:

what about Pete Crew ?
G M Livingstone ?

another two ..
In reply to gear boy: what a bout pete livesey? did he quit climbing as he felt his limit had been reached and set out to become the best fell runner?
 Morgan Woods 21 Dec 2006
In reply to gear boy:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> didnt andy pollitt do something similar?
> dissapeared to OZ and never climb again

i thought he gave up after not quite getting Punks in the Gym after 200 days of trying?
In reply to Morgan Woods: Thought Andy Pollitt got the 2nd ascent!?
In reply to sutty: Agree with you on this. Suspect he has been upset by the goings on and that has put out the flame.

Disagree (with the general theme) that he should come back just because he is talented. He should come back if he re-discovers the love of and fun in climbing. Plenty of other great sports out there if he doesn't.
 John2 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Richard Bradley: 'Suspect he has been upset by the goings on'

With respect, who started the goings on?
palomides 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Morgan Woods:
> (In reply to gear boy)
> [...]
>
> i thought he gave up after not quite getting Punks in the Gym after 200 days of trying?

Nope. Andy Pollit moved to Oz, managed to redpoint Punks in the Gym after about 3 winters of attempts and then pretty much lowered off and never climbed again.

At least, that's what he said at a lecture a few months later.
 Yanchik 21 Dec 2006

Makes sense to me. At the very top end, how much of the drive and desire comes from within, and how much does it depend on other people, approbation and publicity ?

It's an honest question, I have no idea about the top end of climbing.

Y
snow-white tan 21 Dec 2006
In reply to palomides:

Andy was also suffering from a lot of tendon injuries.
emo 21 Dec 2006
he has said he is giving up climbing on ukb in the rather un savoury thread on Keen Roof and going back to boxing which I believe he did before climbing. however i saw him down the Climbing works about a week ago so still 'pottering' about. There is a thread which he has contributed to on ukb about training where he has as usual stirred the proverbial up with several people.
Its interesting that on the keen roof thread he commented on over grading and people culling glory by accepting grades that they new were not right and overgrading was endemic....although only a + grade out Dave Graham has said exactly the same thing about one of Simpsons routes. Now this would be seen by most as not a problem, but when Simspsons has been spraying himself about other peoples overgrading seems quite appropriate. It will always come back and bite you on the ass
In reply to John2: He did but I suspect in an innocent way. Wound up by those around him?
 UKB Shark 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:
> (In reply to necromancer85)
>
> So, possibly the most talented sport climber (along with e.g. Moon, Moffatt, McClure and Smith) the UK has ever produced has 'retired' from the sport just as he was getting going, and not a peep on UKC?
>
> Am I missing something here?

It occurs to me that it is far from surprising when you think about it.

There is a huge commitment in time (as well as much else) to be at the top and it is hardly well paid unless you have a talent for blagging (sorry PR). So in the UK the option is to be happy and able to live in penuary - something that for most people is tolerable for a few years but not much more. So currently you have world UK class climbers scraping a living working in suit shops, setting routes or doing rope access work. Hardly surprising that Neil Carson, having ticked his 9a with a family on the way in effect withdraw from cutting edge climbing to concentrate on a paid career.

I gather in the Basque country anyone who redpoints 8c gets put on the local authority payroll. I also gather in Japan Yuji is a a national hero who would be recognised in the street as the public face of Fuji. Similar options to stave off wordly pressures for an individual are hard to secure in the UK especially for someone new on the scene who has also has a talent for putting their foot in it.
 Morgan Woods 21 Dec 2006
In reply to emo:

got a link?
 tobyfk 21 Dec 2006
In reply to north country boy:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods) Thought Andy Pollitt got the 2nd ascent!?

Stefan Glowacz got the 2nd ascent of Punks in spring 1986.

Trivia item: I am confident no one can name the North London climber who got the 2nd or 3rd Brit ascent of Punks in 1992/3?

UKB Shark 21 Dec 2006
In reply to tobyfk:

Was it you ?
 Morgan Woods 21 Dec 2006
In reply to tobyfk:

charlie woodburn?
Dean 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Simon Lee:
> (In reply to Dom Orsler)
> [...]
> I gather in the Basque country anyone who redpoints 8c gets put on the local authority payroll.

Certainly not true in the French Basque provinces - is it true in Spain?

UKB Shark 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dean:

Sorry my geography is hazy - but relates to Spain
 Dave C 21 Dec 2006
In reply to tobyfk: Well Moffatt & Sean Myles were the first two and Pollitt is in their somewhere but I'm guessing it's John Vlasto you're thinking of.
 Alan Stark 21 Dec 2006
In reply to snow-white tan:

Didn't Andy suffer some very bad injuries that left him with restricted mobility down one side, and he had to modify his technique to cope with it.

Even so, I seem to remember him featured on a TV prog doing something pretty hard (though not cutting edge) in Ha Long Bay - Vietnam.

Pretty fine artist by all accounts as well.
snow-white tan 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan Stark:

Aye. Top man.
 John2 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan Stark: You're thinking of Andy Parkin, not Andy Pollitt.
Yorkspud 21 Dec 2006
In reply to gear boy:
> [...]
>
> [...]
>
> didnt andy pollitt do something similar?
> dissapeared to OZ and never climb again

I'm pretty sure he didn't take up boxing though.
In reply to tobyfk: Neil Bentley.....Chris Plant also...
 Dave C 21 Dec 2006
In reply to north country boy: I know Chris isn't from North London & I'm fairly sure Neil Bentley isn't with that accent. They both did Punks later than Toby is talking about. See my earlier post, I have a local mag news item on the subject here.
In reply to Dave C: sorry, wasn't referring to the individual Toby was.... Yeah Neil is definately from up North!
 Alan Stark 21 Dec 2006
In reply to John2:

Ta -- I stand corrected.
 John2 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan Stark: I saw that program too - inspiring in a way to see somebody continue to climb at a high standard with such serious injuries. He's done some pretty hard stuff in Patagonia as well since his accident.
Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to tobyfk:

So, come on, put us out of our misery.
In reply to Dom Orsler:

who cares?
prana 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Northern Alliance Commander: as an armchair climber, i care
Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Northern Alliance Commander:

Umm, me.
 sutty 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:

I said, read the old threads.

There will be no more info unless Rich himself posts.
Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to sutty:

Says who? Have you been upgraded to moderator?
 Peter Walker 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler: Taken from a thread on 8a.nu

"Yes it's true- i have quit climbing and now Box at a high level- i am looking to become professional so look out for me on the TV."

So no, you aren't being kidded.
 Chris Fryer 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Peter Walker:
> (In reply to Dom Orsler) Taken from a thread on 8a.nu
>
> "Yes it's true- i have quit climbing and now Box at a high level- i am looking to become professional so look out for me on the TV."
>
Surely he isn't tall enough to box at a high level? Unless it's midget boxing.
 Shani 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Chris Fryer:
> (In reply to Peter Walker)
> [...]
> Surely he isn't tall enough to box at a high level? Unless it's midget boxing.

If he is that short maybe he mean "...so look out for me [standing] on the TV".

It is a big loss to climbing if he has given up. I wish him all the best and hope he has as much impact in boxing as he has done in climbing.
Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Shani:

Unless he wins a world title, I doubt that will happen.

How many people make the cross over from sport climber to boxer?! Like I said above, 'bizarre'...!
In reply to Shani:

>
> It is a big loss to climbing if he has given up. I wish him all the best and hope he has as much impact in boxing as he has done in climbing.

I agree. I think the pressure to stay at or near the top in any sport must be immense, and in climbing particularly so. There's little financial reward, the amount of training necessary must be difficult to maintain without giving up on other aspects of life, and sooner of later someone else is inevitably going to come along to take the podium in any case. I hope he's taking time to chill out and enjoy life.
 Adam Lincoln 21 Dec 2006
In reply to tobyfk:
> (In reply to north country boy)
> [...]
>
> Stefan Glowacz got the 2nd ascent of Punks in spring 1986.
>
> Trivia item: I am confident no one can name the North London climber who got the 2nd or 3rd Brit ascent of Punks in 1992/3?

At least ask us a hard one Toby!

R Simpson 21 Dec 2006
I was made aware of this topic earier today by a good friend of mine. I had a look, found it amusing and decided to let it take its due course. Although after my second acquaintance I saw that people had construed various rumours/gossip in all sorts of ways, so decided it was only fair to put the record straight.

It would be right to say I have climbed very little in the last four or so months, My passion for climbing has not been the same since I climbed Action Directe in October 2005. Nevertheless, I pushed on, which accumulated in a first ascent of El Muerte at Easter time this year. Since this point, I have climbed very little.

Unfortunately for me I have lost all motivation to climb. I now thoroughly enjoy boxing and running and have significant goals in both. Alongside, I have also returned to education, with the hope of pursuing my chosen career outside of climbing. Consequently, I have neither the time, nor the motivation to climb. Although it would be right to say I have occasionally been seen checking out the new climbing wall and pottering around with my girlfriend/friends who still climb.

I would like to thank all of those who wished me luck if I had left climbing, and even more so, those who expressed to have been inspired by me. It means a lot, and I only hope I can continue to inspire throughout.

This does not mean I will never climb again, quite the country. But, at the moment at least I have no desire to do so. However, one never knows what is around the corner.

For the benefit of Emo, whom was the only one I saw express a negative view on me. Dave Graham has not in fact downgraded El Muerte, if you look into this topic a little further, all facts will be revealed.

Last, but not at all least, with regards to the boxing on TV comment, that was purely a personal joke between myself and Jens Larson (a good friend of mine), and should not be taken out of context and taken seriously. Not yet at least.

Thanks again. Rich Simpson
R Simpson 21 Dec 2006
Whilst I am here, I might as well reply to Dom.

I have boxed on and off for several years, I dare say I have more natural ability in Boxing than I do in climbing. Boxing is always something I have enjoyed, and I have always wished to pursue it. It keeps me very fit, and gives me a very different challenge to that of Climbing, which in course provides me with motivation.

It is not bizarre that a climber can make a good boxer- I am built very well for boxing, i.e. a very strong core and upper body and am very fit to start with. Therefore, I believe a climber can adapt quickly.

Hope this makes sense. Rich
Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to R Simpson:

Don't get me wrong; I didn't intend to suggest that the two are physically incompatible. Quite the contrary, you need to be strong and light for both. But climbing and boxing aren't typically associated in any way. Not much crossover, as far as I'm aware. Your average climbing gym won't be full of boxing fans, unlike many dojos.

My comment regarding the world title was also intended as a compliment on your climbing, rather than a slur on your boxing. I have no idea what kind of boxer you are.

I wish you well, but look after your brain. You've only got one, and they don't mend easily.

Dom
 Norrie Muir 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:

But climbing and boxing aren't typically associated in any way. Not much crossover, as far as I'm aware. Your average climbing gym won't be full of boxing fans, unlike many dojos.
>
I never trained in a "climbing gym", however I did train in a boxer's gym. I would say, the boxers I saw were superb athletes and would put most "climbers" to shame for being physically fit.
R Simpson 21 Dec 2006
No problem. I was aware that your comment was not vindictive in any way.

I also understood your comment on the world title, but thanks for re-iterating it, and also for the compliment.

Take it easy, Rich
R Simpson 21 Dec 2006
I would say, the boxers I saw were superb athletes and would put most "climbers" to shame for being physically fit.

Quite. At first it was a real eye opener for me.

Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Maybe it's a North American thing. We refer to the wall as the gym, because there's a lot more there besides just a wall.

Yes - boxers - incredibly fit.

But strand most of them halfway up an E6 and they might not do too well. Horses for courses, etc.
 Norrie Muir 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:
>
> But strand most of them halfway up an E6 and they might not do too well. Horses for courses, etc.

I would rather solo an E6 than get into a ring with a boxer. At least I would only break my ankles at worse, rather than ruin my good looks.
Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Nonsense. Lay down and wait for the count vs paralysis or death? I know which one I'd choose!
 Norrie Muir 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:
>
> Nonsense. Lay down and wait for the count vs paralysis or death? I know which one I'd choose!

Maybe for you, but I am not a Canadian.
Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

But you obviously find the prospect of getting your face smashed in for no reason whatsoever acceptable. Umm, that's good for you.

And I'm not a Canadian, either.
Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

And, while I'm not a Candian, what kind of jingoistic, nationalistic, bigoted bullsh*t remark is that, anyway? Most of the Canadians I know would quite happily punch your lights out for that kind of crap remark. You remind me of that bollox trotted out by the Americans going on about the French being cowards.

What is your f*cking problem, Muir? Every time you enter into a debate it seems to get nasty, one way or another. I know of no-one else to whom this applies so thoroughly on UKC as you. Here we are having a nice little chat about what's happened to Rich and what a shame it would be to lose such talent, and you go and manage to turn it into a prattling bitch fight again. Have you contributed anything other than bile?

No.

So please take it elsewhere.
 Norrie Muir 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:

Have you contributed anything other than bile?
>
> No.
>
You may have missed the post I made at 22.50 yesterday, just in case you can't find it here it is again "Sadly no. Many young talanted climbers/sportspeople give up all too early. I hope if he has stopped climbing, he sees the error and returns.". You may think that is bile, well that is up to you.

Here is Rich's reply of " Quite. At first it was a real eye opener for me." to my comment of " I would say, the boxers I saw were superb athletes and would put most "climbers" to shame for being physically fit.". You may think I only post bile, others think otherwise.

You should learn to keep calm and collected, it may not help with your climbing, but it will help with your blood pressure.

John Mulhern 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Rich Simpson

hey rich what weight you boxing at? just in case we meet in next years ABA's!!! lol nah good luck with the boxing - its the greatest sport around - im the opposite of you been involved with it all my life and am now considering hanging up the gloves to get more into climbing
 Dominion 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:

> And, while I'm not a Candian, what kind of jingoistic, nationalistic, bigoted bullsh*t remark is that, anyway? Most of the Canadians I know would quite happily punch your lights out for that kind of crap remark.

Now, now, girls, save the bitching, scratching and hair pulling for other, less mature children...

Good stereotype of Canadians there, makes them seem like pro ice hockey players...

Kurt 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

No Norrie, you are not a Canadian. Let's just keep it that way.
In reply to Dom Orsler:

Not quite sure why you're so angry with Norrie, but I have to agree with him; the idea of being punched in the face sounds awful to me, and I'd feel obliged to apologize for every punch I inflicted.
 Norrie Muir 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Kurt:
>
> No Norrie, you are not a Canadian. Let's just keep it that way.

Fine by me.
Kurt 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Interesting how you resort to nationality as an insult. I would prefer to insult you on your lack of tact, creativity or apparent intelligence. Keep your attacks on a personal level, and leave the bigotry for some other forum you might post at.

And E-grades are still wank. I'm suspicious you are too.

Love from the colonies,

Kurt the Canadian
 Norrie Muir 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Kurt:

Whatever.
Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

"You should learn to keep calm and collected, it may not help with your climbing, but it will help with your blood pressure."

Contrary to what you might imagine (it seems you 'imagine' quite a lot), I am supremely calm and collected. I don't normally vent on UKC, but I do draw the line at bigots who make nationalistic remarks and question the worth of the inhabitants of another country, about which they probably know very little.

I was and still am disgusted by the recent US trend of portraying the French as cowards, and take equal umbrage at your apparent prejudice towards Canadians. The fact that it is probably an ignorant and uninformed opinion makes it even worse.
Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir:

"Whatever."

A typically well thought out reply. I've come to expect nothing less.
In reply to Dom Orsler:

I think you are reading too much into this. Scottish humour is often dry and inscrutible, frequently what we English call "random" but rarely deliberately offensive.

If Norrie was being deliberately out of order you automatically get the moral high ground, so why rant?
But I doubt he was.
 Dominion 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:

>I do draw the line at bigots who make nationalistic remarks and question the worth of the inhabitants of another country, about which they probably know very little.

How do you view your comment about how "Most of the Canadians I know would quite happily punch your lights out for that kind of crap remark."

Does that give a fair and reasonable picture to the outside world of how Canadians would react to a fairly inocuous remark on an internet forum?
 Norrie Muir 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:
>
> "Whatever."
>
> A typically well thought out reply. I've come to expect nothing less.

Whatever.

Michael Ryan 21 Dec 2006
In reply to north country boy:
> (In reply to tobyfk) Neil Bentley.....Chris Plant also...

Plant 10th ascent
Bentley 11th......

6 out of the first 11 ascents were from Sheff.......

Dom Orsler 21 Dec 2006
It's a 100% accurate statement, I assure you. Whether or not you choose to interpolate it to represent the whole of Canada is your choice (and potential mistake).

And in reply to Alison;

You're probably right, and I shouldn't let the old f*rt annoy me, but it seems he follows me around this forum like a dose of the clap and brings bile and discord to any interesting conversation I have. I come to this forum to engage in meaningful discussion, not to bicker, and I hate it when things degenerate in this way. I should (and do) know better, but if a buzzing fly annoys you enough, it's only natural to lash out once in a while.

That said, I am also wary of dismissing and forgiving bigoted and nationalistic remarks as 'just a wee bit of Scots fun'. I'm not an overly PC kind of guy, but I think inferring Canadians are cowards is out of order.
Carnage 21 Dec 2006
In reply to tobyfk: I think the answer can be found here in a recent quiz:

http://www.chockstone.org/Forum/Forum.asp?Action=DisplayTopic&ForumID=1...
 Norrie Muir 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:
>
> Nonsense. Lay down and wait for the count vs paralysis or death? I know which one I'd choose!

So what would you choose?

In reply to Dom Orsler:
> I'm not an overly PC kind of guy, but I think inferring Canadians are cowards is out of order.

I didn't interpret it that way at all; not in the least. And I've reread it and still can't see it.
But anyway, I'm sure Rich will be successful whatever he does. He strikes me as that kind of person.

sutty 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:

Time to call it a day I think. I told you Rich may give you the answer you kept needling for, I couldn't because what I know is in emails, they are confidential.
Witkacy 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:

> Most of the Canadians I know would quite happily punch your lights out for that kind of crap remark.

The ones I've known have been perfectly civilized and wouldn't respond to something so trivial with violence.
 JimR 21 Dec 2006
In reply to R Simpson:

Good luck Rich in whatever you choose to do .. hope you find what you're looking for. You deserve it.
 Mick Ward 21 Dec 2006
In reply to JimR:

You took almost the exact words out of my mouth!

Mick
Ricky 22 Dec 2006
In reply to R Simpson:

Good luck to you Rich, whatever path you take. It's maybe sad for us lesser climbing mortals, as I for one was hoping to see you becoming the next real household name in climbing (but maybe you'll achieve that in Boxing ?).
(Secretly I think you're motivation for climbing will return one day).
Wes 22 Dec 2006
In reply to R Simpson:

Good luck with it, Rich, every man has to go his own way.
 Lone Rider 22 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:
>
> But you obviously find the prospect of getting your face smashed in for no reason whatsoever acceptable. Umm, that's good for you.
>
> And I'm not a Canadian, either.

I think Norrie was suggesting the opposite by his early comment. He rather prefer having his good looks and broken ankles that his face punched in. I don't see it myself(his good looks that is!). Also he probably refered to you as canadian as you said you were north american and maybe he thought Canadian's had a different view in life to us in the UK.
So I wouldn't take it as a slur on Canadians just a point of view.

So how does it feel to be a Yank these days then what with Iraq and the war of terror?

IanJackson 22 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler: I think you have just suffered from Scottish Humour my angry friend.

Good luck with your boxing Rich. I hope your nose can take it, mine cant!
mac_climb 22 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler: WOW you scare me!
OP Anonymous 22 Dec 2006
In reply to mac_climb: Just a quick one, having boxed and climbed E6, boxing is both harder and much more frightening than climbing E6.

BoxM.
 Matt Rees 22 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

Well that's because you've done both. But if you put an E6 climber who had never boxed before in the ring with Bomber Graham, the E6'er would have his arse handed to him.

Similarly, Errol would be f*ckjumacted (yes, I said it) on an E6.

Furthermore, lots of E6'rs might find that they are more comfortable belting another mans face than facing a potentially life threatening fall. As the man Dom said, horses for courses.

/never having either climbed E6 nor boxed before, I don't actually know what I'm talking about
 stevefromstoke 23 Dec 2006
In reply to Dom Orsler:
i just want to wish Rich Simpson good luck in his studies and boxing.
If you dont want to climb at the moment then who am i, or anyone else, to criticise your choices

Have fun matey that whats life's for
In reply to Anonymous: Not sure. Boxed as a kid and will never get near E6. Horses for....?
OP Anonymous 23 Dec 2006

As a keen boxer and semi keen climber I have seen Rich in the Longbridge gym (Boxing) occasionally over the last few years. Our coach reguarly comments how Rich is wasted in Climbing, and could be an exceptional Boxer. From what i remember he is a switch hitter which is very uncommon, and is usually a sign of natural ability. Anyway, i wish him luck in what ever he decides, i am sure he can achieve what ever he wants.

Ps, Rich get in touch it's Jim from the old Longbridge gym. I'm so glad to hear you are taking it up properly and even gladder not to be following you on your runs.
 scooott 23 Dec 2006
This is shocking news. But he can do what he wants of his own free will... It just seems weird for a climber so strong to move to another sport.. Where he will be a small(er?) fish in a big pond.

I hope he returns later on.
 Mick Ward 23 Dec 2006
In reply to scooott:

You've got to follow your dream...

Mick
gash potato 25 Dec 2006
In reply to emo:

what was the rather unsavoury thread about keen roof can anyone post a link i couldn,t find it ta. apologise for the crap post im in morocco and the keypad is odd

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...