UKC

Sea kayak: Dry suits

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Alan M 26 Dec 2006
Can anyone suggest a suitable dry suit for UK use? Main use will be for inland and coastal paddling during the winter and spring. Needs to be value for money considering it wont be used for anything major like expeditions to cold places or long open crossing not willing to pay £500-£600 for a Palm something or other that they guy in the watersports shop insisted on, theres got to be a cheaper good value alternative around????

Thanks
Alan
In reply to Alan M: whats wrong with a good dry cag. you dont sweat anywhere near as much and you can wear nice warm stuff underneath.
OP Alan M 26 Dec 2006
In reply to airbournegrapefruit:

Nowt wrong with a dry cag works wonders if I'm planning on staying in the boat,lol...I still like to practise the skills including the wet exits and other wet stuff i.e High recovery, skull for support etc so sometimes still spend some time in the water freezing my balls off.

Before you say it...I can Roll.
In reply to Alan M: then use a wind proof dry cag with a neoprene vest underneath, that should keep you nice and warm. and just make sure you spray deck is nice and tight and positioned correctly. then bottom half will stay dry enabling you to wear anything.
ALAN PERT 26 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan M: http://www.ewet...
try this web site they do a super breathable dry suit for 175 last time i looked, and i think they do mail order. even there dry cags are superb value for money, i have both, and have used them summer and winter.
and can thoroughly recomend them
alan
Hotbad Peteel 26 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan M:

whatever you do, make sure you get one with a zipped fly. It might break quicker than one without but you wont care. Kogg are meant to be good. I've got a pair of dry trousers and a cag without a sealed neck. Its much better if your not likely to go in, but I wouldnt fancy a prolonged swim in it.
p
Etak 26 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan M: try contacting DAM X they make dry suites to measure for couple of hundred quid - my partner has one seems very good - they don't have a website though...
 SebCa 26 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan M: ah a fellow scouse kayaker! well mate IMHO i have a palm dry cag and yak dry pants, an as best as i try when im in the water doin the rescues i end up wet, just cant make the seal between the two, have you been over to brookbank?

i have an old RAF winchmans dry suit with size 9 boots on, all sealed as far as i know and good to go, prob fit you if your about 5.10-6.2ish would work well ive never used it because i cant get into it, i "aquired" it! Welcome to have a butchers at if you want
 Chris Fryer 27 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan M: I think you will probably be too hot in one most of the time?

However, I have a brand new Body Glove one I acquired and never used. PM me if you are interested.
steven-m 27 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan M:
> Can anyone suggest a suitable dry suit for UK use? Main use will be for inland and coastal paddling during the winter and spring. Needs to be value for money considering it wont be used for anything major like expeditions to cold places or long open crossing not willing to pay £500-£600 for a Palm something or other that they guy in the watersports shop insisted on, theres got to be a cheaper good value alternative around????
>
> Thanks
> Alan

REED chillcheaters,end of story.
steven-m 27 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan M: REED chillcheaters,end of story.
 Jenny C 27 Dec 2006
In reply to Etak:
> (In reply to Alan M) try contacting DAM X

I know people with these who have been very happy with them and they also offer M2M.

Our suits (for diving) are RoHo (www.roho.co.uk) M2M is available free. As well as for diving they offer suits for general watersports, which would work out cheaper than what we paid.

You should have no problems getting a decent suit for under £500. DO NOT risk ebay most people put suits on there once they start leaking and even something as simple as a new zip will set you back around £100.
 CENSORED 27 Dec 2006
In reply to Alan M: The Palm Sidewinder is very popular and quite a bit cheaper than the Stikine.

Have a search on www.ukrgb.co.uk on the Sea and Surf Forum

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...