UKC

What are they crafting at the MCC??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
SJD 04 Jan 2007
Does anyone know whats being built at the MCC? More bouldering or more climbing routes?
In reply to SJD: Didn't see anything when I was last there but that was before crimbo. Where abouts are they working?
 Al Evans 04 Jan 2007
In reply to SJD: Oh, I thought this was going to be about training some reliability into our batsmen.
 SecretSquirrel 04 Jan 2007
In reply to SJD:
I was told a while back that the next round of building would be new route panels put up behind those under the round window plus a couple of taller lines in the old bell tower.
Haven't been down for a few weeks though so don't know if thats whats been started.
SJD 04 Jan 2007
Well they have started putting up the ply boarding at the back of the church (under the circular window?? no idea). Adjacent to the stairs leading to the upstairs bouldering area.

ooh i wonder what it will be. I think the only thing missing at MCC is some really good formed walls for bouldering, i know there is one but something like the berghaus wall in newcastle if anyone has been, its fantastic to boulder on!
 Mita 04 Jan 2007
In reply to SJD: Was their last night and found out that the area will be a travercing area for people who have no partner and want to climb on their own, also there will be an assisted hoist for the disabled, so they have an area free to climb and to help with insurance issues...... So no new bouldering/climbing wall.....
SJD 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Mita:

booo!!! oh well. i will put the formed bouldering wall back on my wish list then!
In reply to Mita: A traversing wall is great for boulderers to build up endurance though.
 AlisonSmiles 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Mita:
> a travercing area for people who have no partner and want to climb on their own,

That'll be me if I don't behave myself! Am watching my step.
 Mita 04 Jan 2007
In reply to AlisonSmiles: Yes missus, someone has been up to no good So what are you up to tonight then?

<Sniggers>
 Mita 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Richard Bradley:
> (In reply to Mita) A traversing wall is great for boulderers to build up endurance though.

Yes, there are advantages to it, I sure could do with building up my finger strength...
SJD 04 Jan 2007
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

up to no good eh?? Anything juicy?
 Al Evans 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Mita: Excuse me, and this is a serious question, how do people in a wheelchair who need a hoist to get them to the wall then use it ????????
SJD 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Al Evans:

well a paraplegic still has the use of their hands and can still partake in climbing to some extent. Also it makes the centre more inclusive allowing groups of mixed ability and disability individuals to use the facilities without leaving out people with paraplegia as would happen otherwise.
 Mita 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Al Evans: You can be disabled without being in a wheelchair.........
Dagger 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Al Evans:
> (In reply to Mita) Excuse me, and this is a serious question, how do people in a wheelchair who need a hoist to get them to the wall then use it ????????

No silly, the 'wheelchair people' are brought in to work as belay slaves.

pictish 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Al Evans: I've seen a woman at the wall who appears to only have the use of one arm and limited control over her legs. She has to take her weight on a top rope when moving her hand and she's never going to climb 8a but most importantly she enjoy's herself. I've certainly got a lot of respect for her for giving it a go.

I wouldn't fancy a right hook from the good arm either.
 Mike Stretford 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Al Evans: I've been there when a group of wheelchair users were there. The older guy who sets the hardish routes (you might know him) had set up some sort of rig to hoist the wheel chair users up to the top of the wall (out of the chairs in harnesses). They did seem to be enjoying it, and I suppose a climbing wall is a pretty good place to do it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...