UKC

TNF-Apex Bionic (I think)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Squirrel Bill 04 Jan 2007
Anygood?
 Denni 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Squirrel Bill:
What sort of thing are you going to use it for? whatever kind of jacket it might be!
Den
In reply to Squirrel Bill: it looks like a softshell jacket similar to RAB VR. personally i wouldn't get it, because it doesn't have a hood. softshells need hoods imo. otherwise when it starts drizzling/spindriftin you reach for your shell, when you don't need.

i'd get a RAB VR jacket, they are different to buffalo and much more stylish. they are much thinner and suitable for year round climbing. it will be perfect for your course. along with lightweight waterproofs like, marmot precip jacket and fullzip pants. wear something like patagonia guide pants (there are cheap version from decatilon according to TobyA) on your legs. with a long sleved thermal top and wicking boxers your will be sorted for the summer.
In reply to Squirrel Bill: I have one and only really use it to go to the pub or wear to the crag far to warm for anything else but nice if you dont like hoods. nicest softshell ive had is a marmot photon but it doesnt have much insulation in it.Depends what you want to be honest softshells are a minefield.
OP Squirrel Bill 04 Jan 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I'm becoming to like the VR more. How warm is it, I don't want somthing too warm. I prefer layering up. Can it be skiied in?

Thanks.

P.s:Great advice. Thanks.
In reply to Squirrel Bill:
>
> P.s:Great advice. Thanks.

cheers lol

how warm is it? errr.. i have patagucci zyphur jacket, which is a similar product, without a hood, making it usless for winter climbing.

i wore it over 2 fleeces and a thermal skiing in canada last winter. it was -40 and i was chilly at times.

i wear it next to the skin on over a thermal alot. i've used mine shed loads. would usit in winter just with a thermal if it had a hood. it is cool enough for cold summer days on Dow crag and warm enough for winter alpine climbing. the perfect jacket. i also looks great in black and the hood is removable for occasions when you don't want it, cragging and school.

it is no where near as warm as buffalo (which is horid) and look a million times better.

hope this helps.

I shall probably get one of those then. I must tell myself not to buy kit just because it looks good and actually buy kit because it performs well.
In reply to Squirrel Bill: read this if you still have doubts.

http://www.psychovertical.com/?thebestsoftshell

and this

http://www.psychovertical.com/?cuthecrap

and stop being vain! lol.

>and stop being vain! lol.>

It's true, problem is, you look through the magazines and see pretty pictures of sexy looking gear. Makes you want to buy it, even if it's crap.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...