UKC

El Nino and Peru

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 pec 04 Jan 2007
I heard on the news today that there's an el nino event happening at the moment. I seem to recall hearing that the Cordillera Blanca in Peru tends to have unstable weather following one but can't remember the exact details such as whether its the same year or the following one.
As I was thinking of going to Huaraz either this year or next I could do with knowing! Does anyone have any info on this?
 benji 04 Jan 2007
In reply to pec:
And does it affect Bolivia (Cordillera Real)? I'm going out there...
iceaxe 09 Jan 2007
In reply to pec:
Apparently El Nino affects the whole planet's weather and not just the Pacific rim.
 dustbuddy 10 Jan 2007
In reply to pec:

I have just returned from Ecuador and El Nino is in effect there - lots more rain in the valleys and more snow on the mountains than usual.
anthonyecc 10 Jan 2007
In reply to iceaxe: its main effect is the waters as the warmer waters of the western pacific swap with the cool, nutrient rich waters of the east. this affects the food chain for all the fishes/whales/seals/plankton etc etc. Yes it does effect the world weather but the local problems are far superior to that of the amount of snow falling in the Andes.
just bear a thought for that Juan, the Fisherman in Chile whos livelyhood has gone as there are no fish to catch!
Imp 10 Jan 2007
In reply to pec:
I went to the Cordillera Blanca after an El Nino; we did manage to get one mountain done, and trekked some high passes. But the weather was more unstable, on some days we couldn`t go into the mountains due to blizards.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...