UKC

Arc'teryx - over-rated and expensive?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
anthonyecc 07 Jan 2007
I recently was taught all the main differences between Arc'teryx and other leading brands, and it seemed like there wasn't much separating them other than the face fabrics used and the fact that arcteryx claim to be the innovators of outdoor hardware. They are nice products, but i can't help but think that they charge a little over the odds for very few minute differences
 nniff 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

Me too - won't look at, let alone buy anything Arcetrsdjhfgakjgf on principle. Looks very pretty, and beautifully cut, but I just need a velco tab to hold my cuffs closed, not some welded/die stamped/monogrammed/embossed featurette. As for cut, don't much care as long as it still works when the fabric is all trapped under a rucsac.
anthonyecc 07 Jan 2007
In reply to nniff: essentially, the only main difference is the face fabric on the XCR gore lining, and even that could be just a load of bull. who is going to check under a microscope that you indeed have got a maximum weave face fabric!
 Katie Weston 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:
It may be stupidly expensive but the look of what they produce is just beautiful. It seems particualry noticeable in their womans kit. If money was no object theirs woudl be the stuff I'd buy for stuff I didn't really care about performance, or where I knew their kit was a god as anything else.
Maybe it's the woman in me but just because I'm doing outdoor type stuff doesn't mean I want my clothes to look terrible. However due to the price I own not a single piece of their kit!
anthonyecc 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Katie Weston: so would you agree that it is over priced then?
In reply to anthonyecc: I love their stuff, but I can only afford to buy it when it is on sale!
 Squirrel Bill 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

I'd buy their stuff If I was rich or it was on sale v v v cheap.

Like my Rab VR Climb for only £55. Yum.
 Ben C 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: Having bought lots of different makes over the years i have found Arc to be that little bit better. Yes it is more expensive but those little differenes and the cut make up for it for me. It means you can wear it around town more without looking like a walker. Patagonia too do some good kit but some of their colour schemes are not for me. It depends what you like, personally if i think i look "cool" i feel more positive and climb better(usually). They do innovate with waterproof zips and now have the the non rubberised/laminate one on their Alpha jacket.
valjean 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: made mostly in Canada... that explains most of the inflated cost. They are making slightly better quality stuff and having to pay higher costs. Should not be a surprise why it cost more. Mountain Hardwear gear costs roughly the same (mostly made in America)... until Columbia got hold of them.

Katie Weston 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:
For my current budget yes, but then just about everything is at the momment. I do like to buy quality, and would rather have one nice item that I'll wear again and again and love than have something that was cheap but not very nice, and I don't enjoy wearing.
Thinking about it logically I will spend £100+ on a pair of smart boots, or a nice wool jacket, theefore spending a little bit more on something that is far more engineered doesn't seem daft to me.
 Denni 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:
My mate just bought an Alpha SV from lippy lion on here for £180, thats a bargain and to be honest when I tried it on it made me feel like changing my changabang.

Really is an excellent jacket and the only reason they are so expensive, apparently, is because they haven't moved production to china etc and are still made in Canada.

I have an Arcteryx RT45 rucksack, rolltop enclosure, waterproof and better than most sacks I've used, £90 from rock bottom in Betwys, highly recommend it.
I'd buy it if I could afford it.
My tuppence worth anyway
Den
m0unt41n 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: Annoyingly their stuff is pretty cheap if you get it from MEC in Canada, you can check the prices - except they wont ship Arteryx outside Canada. I have a big Bora sack and whilst there are some really good points, very comfortable suspension, neat having inside face laminated white. There are dump things, side zip, if its jambed packed you arent going to unzip it, if its not full then no problem going in from the top. Material for the shoulder straps / waist not very strong. I reckon Macpac is better. Not high tec but much more robust.
anthonyecc 07 Jan 2007
In reply to outdoorbloke: ...the only reason they are so expensive, apparently, is because they haven't moved production to china etc and are still made in Canada.

They have move some, not all, of their production to china to keep up with demand.
 Denni 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:
Didn't know that, does that mean it might get cheaper I wonder?
Den
 JohnnyW 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: I bought some trousers a couple of years ago when they were aargh expensive. The blurb said they were softshell, stretchy and waterproof. The fit was excellent, and they do look the biz, but they weren't at all 'proof', and after the amount of wear/washing that I give 'em, they look tired now. Still fit great though, so I'll keep wearing 'em under proofs/over leggings. I think we're all mad personally, paying the prices we do for all the kit. You do get better moving from Regatta to Berghaus, to M.E./M.H., but after that, I think it's not proportionate to performance improvement. Best performing bit of gear I've ever had is a Tiso microfleece for £15.
task-o 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

Only some of their clothing has moved to China - namely T-shirts, Baseball caps and other things which don't really benifit from being well engineered and handmade.
 MRJ 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:
Expensive? f*cking right... over-rated? not when it comes to softshells!
Unless there is a fitting problem, it's hard to top the Gamma Mx hoody.

-Magnus
In reply to MRJ: Yeah, the Gamma MX is fantastic. I've got 2 (bought for half price
Sam M 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

I was given a bright Orange jacket (thanks to Mr Arc´teryx sales rep) 2 years ago and I wear it all the time (ask guests I mean allllll the time) and it is the best piece of clothing I have ever had, warm, light weight and the fit is amazing.

If I had the money I would buy more!

Sam Orange
 Denni 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
> (In reply to MRJ) Yeah, the Gamma MX is fantastic. I've got 2

I'd kill for one!
Lucky bugger

Flaming_climber 07 Jan 2007
In reply to outdoorbloke: I have a arcteryx alpha sv jacket and unless you have one you wont understand how good they are. They ARE worth the money. If you carnt afford one beg, steal and borrow to buy one. You can see it in my images. I can not praise the jacket enough.
 Denni 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Flaming_climber:

Lippy Lion on here had one for sale at £180, my mate bought it from him via me as I was waiting for one from the States.

When it arrived I tried it on, outstanding with all the cinch cords and the fit was great. All the technology within the jacket is making me want to flog a couple of bits and bobs and get me one!

Maybe thats a new years resolution then!

Wes 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

You get what you pay for.

I am a total Arc'teryx convert. I never thought i would be until i tried that stuff on the hill as opposed to in the shop. It really is good; great cut, features, fabrics, well thought out.

They are a leader and innovator of products. Most of their ideas have been copied/imitated (with varying degrees of quality) by most of the other brands.

If you look at most companies ranges, you'll have quality face fabrics in their top-of-the-line products and not in their lower price point products. This is not the case with Arc'teryx. They use the same construction and techniques throughout their range, meaning that you won't buy a sub-standard jacket if you buy a Theta model instead of an Alpha model.

Keep an eye out for thier new clothing later in the year as well.

Production of most of their range remains in Canada with a few exceptions that Task-O rightly pointed out earlier.

Of course, all of the above is useless unless the cut and fit is right for you!
Wes 07 Jan 2007
In reply to MRJ:
it's hard to top the Gamma Mx hoody.

Agreed!
 spartacus 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: For info If you ever visit vancouver Arc'teryx have a seconds/ factory shop. Last years colours, etc at bargain prices. The seconds selection includes a huge range, the items which labeled with minor faults which don't effect the useage (e.g minor fabric fault to inside.) I agree with others above, you get what you pay for Arc'teryx clothes are worthh every penny.
 Jenn 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

I'm the Arc'teryx poster girl

Their main advantage for me is that they do really small women's sizes. Not a lot of other manufactures do - Marmot being one exception, and I have started buying some stuff from them.

After trying lots and lots of backpacks I settled on an Arc'teryx one since it fit me the best. It is a bit too over-engineered and I never seem to be able to fit everything into it (darn ), but the fit is worth it!

Oh and I got a lot of it the US, where it is a lot cheaper.
 MRJ 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Jenn:
I've seen their bags, an they looks sweet, but I think I would stick to cilo gear.
Couldn't have been happier this xmas when I got the Gamma MX hoody and a maxcam.
This jacket is beast, I wear it all day long (except when I get too sweaty... yech) it's awsome.

-Magnus
PD 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: Agree, great technical gear but overpriced..I work in a gear shop over here and the reason for the high price as quoted by the sales rep, is the fact that 75% of the Arc'teryx line is still produced within BC, Canada...however this is changing and they are moving more and more production off shore...I own one jacket fission LT, great jacket but I only got it because it was at a pro deal price, otherwise there is no way I would pay full retail for it..
 dougs 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

Most are carefull about expensive purchases.

They wouldn't buy it if it wasn't that good,
Arc'teryx would disappear.
 Wilbur 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

i got my gamma mx hoody half price and i wear it all the time from March to October.... literally all the time.
Sam M 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Wilbur:

someone post me a decent link to the gamma mx hoody please.

Sam O
lippy lion 07 Jan 2007

In reply to outdoorbloke:

Hi Den, glad your bud is happy with the jacket. I 'downgraded' to the Alpha LT which is a closer fit & a bit lighter too. I bought a used black Gamma MX hoody from someone here on UKC then sent it back to Arcteryx cos it had faded slightly where my harness rubbed on the lower back. They sent me a brand new one, even asking which colour I wanted to swap it for. Arcteryx hard & soft shells are the biz.

lippy
 Merlin 07 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: Admittedly the stuff is expensive, although I own a fair bit of their kit and think its alot better quality and well thought out than anything else I've used previously.

Anyone who thinks its overrated is kidding themselves!

Cost isn't so much of an issue, I only payed full price for one my arc'teryx jackets, its all out there cheap you've just got to know where to find it. Most of the stuff I buy is half price, so it ends up being the same price as ME, MH or Rab so I'd might aswell buy it.
In reply to anthonyecc:

I would never buy Arc'teryx gear. There's no need. Think about the plastic cagoules and folk singing jumpers folk made do with until about 1980.
Any reasonable jacket will do. A £350 Goretex shell will be wrecked in a couple of seasons of Scottish mixed, just the same as a £70 sale Event jacket will be.
I nearly wet myself laughing at the £120 windproof jacket they make. Feather light but as strong as a Tesco binbag. Absolute garbage.
If import duties and so on are to blame here's a similar example in reverse-
Go into REI (big US chain outdoor store) and check the prices of DMM and Wild Country wires vs. Black Diamond Stoppers. The UK made gear is about 30% dearer.
Puts the Arc'teryx thing in perspective for me anyway.

Davie

Wilbur 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Sam M:

here you go

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/UAN/2567/v/1/sp/

i got mine for £130... i loved doing crib gock in it in high winds and on/off rain a few months ago. Didn't have to change my clothing for the whole day whilst the rest of the team struggled in nd out of fleeces/hardshells mosy of the day
 Wilbur 07 Jan 2007
I know it's spelt Crib Goch by the way! Typo!
 Denni 07 Jan 2007
In reply to lippy lion:
Hi Steve,
he won't shut up about it! he loves it and is now after a hoody as well, hope life is treating you well
Den
Sam M 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Wilbur:

Thanks its the Sigma LT jacket and costs 250 dollers!!

that was a generous birthday pressie I guess..

Sam :0)
Sam M 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Sam M:

It is my favourite item of clothing and I think I would buy another if I had too..

and thats saying something from a girl from Barnsley!!!

Sam Orange
 Denni 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Wilbur:
> (In reply to Sam M)
> i got mine for £130...

Wilbur,
where did you get it at that price?
Den

den it is a rip off.

get a patagonia ready mix jacket for £80. a much better jacket and more waterproof.
 Denni 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:
Hi Tom,
hows life?
Den
 Rob Naylor 08 Jan 2007
In reply to nniff:
> (In reply to anthonyecc)
>
> Me too - won't look at, let alone buy anything Arcetrsdjhfgakjgf on principle.

Got an excellent Arc'teryx harness in "outside" at Hathersage last year for £20. They had a binful of "XLs" on special offer. Wish I'd bought two.
 Cameron13 08 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

Gorgeous stuff but very expensive... I've come across lots of there gear over the years when out shopping for good outdoor clothing but to date have always gone for something as techincal yet cheaper... Mountain Equipment stuff is very similar in performance yet on things like jackets etc the difference in their equivilent is about £80-£100 cheaper!

I give the Arc teryx line a thumbs up though, I would love to own some of their stuff!
 TobyA 08 Jan 2007
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

> I nearly wet myself laughing at the £120 windproof jacket they make. Feather light but as strong as a Tesco binbag. Absolute garbage.

I don't suppose Scottish winter climbing would have been their first thought in the design process though. Nevertheless that's a silly amount for a windproof.

I'm not convinced that Scottish winter climbing is nearly as tough on clothing as many suggest. I had the same buffalo shirt (pertex 6) for four years of virtually every weekend climbing Scottish routes, plus for mountain rock routes outside of winter as well and it lasted fine. Most goretex jackets are actually a heavier material - so I'm amazed when people talk about "trashing" jackets in a season or two. Guides an instructors maybe - but for the average weekend punter?!
 TobyA 08 Jan 2007
In reply to TobyA: Forgot to add - I've had a Arctryx paclite GTX since summer 2003 - its very nice: simple, well cut, etc. It also cost about 100 quid so was a bargain. Seems to be lasting well as well.

I think if it fits you their cut is what makes their gear very nice. This was what made them special a few years back, but now many manufactures are realising that closer fitting is good particularly for climbing and improving their standards.
 Glyno 08 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:
Lots of people saying things like " beautifully cut" , "great cut" - what does that mean? Surely the cut is only "great" if you're the right shape?
A bit like a pair of boots being a good fit only if they're the same shape as your feet?
 Morgan Woods 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Jenn:

yeah...they also seem to do good overpants and softshell trousers for people under 6 foot in medium unlike euro manufacturers.
 Morgan Woods 08 Jan 2007
 Mike Stretford 08 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: My Arc'teryx fleece is excellent, great cut (meaning good for activities), good water repellance lots of handy features. Mind you, it was half price in a sale, and I wouldn't have paid any more for it.
 Morgan Woods 08 Jan 2007
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:
>
> Go into REI (big US chain outdoor store) and check the prices of DMM and Wild Country wires vs. Black Diamond Stoppers. The UK made gear is about 30% dearer.
> Puts the Arc'teryx thing in perspective for me anyway.
>
> Davie

here's a DMM quickdraw for $14:

http://www.mtntools.com/cat/rclimb/biners/dmmtruclipcarabiners.htm

it costs about the same in £ in the UK.
 TobyA 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Glyno:
> Lots of people saying things like " beautifully cut" , "great cut" - what does that mean? Surely the cut is only "great" if you're the right shape?

Not really. For a long time - into the mid to late 90s lots of goretex shells for example were boxy and wide. The patterns and cutting were simpler as a result as was the sewing. They would go over layers of baggy fleece and made sure that there was good arm mobility by having plenty spare. This also meant it was hard to see your harness and even your feet at times. Arctryx were amongst the first to slim things down, including layers to go underneath - figuring that people who do serious mountaineering aren't likely to be fat porkers anyway - something that companies like Rab and Montane are very much following now. As a result there are less wodges of material under your arms, you can find gear on your harness, there is less to flap in the wind and every weighs a lot less. If I think of my Arctryx gtx now and my first goretex shell - a Pheonix bought in 1990 I think, its amazing.

Nowadays you do have a point though, as some brands seem to really have a specific fit. I'm not fat but for my height I've got biggish shoulders and chest, and the Rab things I've tried on seem to be designed for much skinnier people than me - if I go up a size arms are too long etc. US brands seem to fit me better - Patagonia, Marmot etc.
 Ian McNeill 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods:

please reverse the letter of the colour RED and repeat.

DMM is made in UK exported to USA & Canada add on import duties and taxes...

same happens with import duties at this end - and I bet most clothing is made in China also ...

I have always thought that the Arc'teryx was over priced - I prefer doubleed up pile and pertex in Scotland winters keep warm on belays - and water proof? shell jackets patogonia ...
and good old proofed cotton ...
 SecretSquirrel 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Nick Smith - UKC:
> I love their stuff, but I can only afford to buy it when it is on sale!

Same here.
I love the fleece I bought just before xmas for £55 (1/2 price) - very warm without being massively bulky, really good fit and lovely colour :0)
Shame they didn't have the softshell in the sale too...
 Morgan Woods 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Ian McNeill:
> (In reply to Morgan Woods)
>
>
> please reverse the letter of the colour RED and repeat.
>
> DMM is made in UK exported to USA & Canada add on import duties and taxes...
>
not quite sure what your on about...i was just pointing out something made in the UK for sale in the US for less than you can get it here.....am i missing something?
XXXX 08 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

Ooh look! The Emperor is wearing his new Arcteryx.

They are expensive just so that they give the impression of being top of the range. Yes, the gear is good but it's the same as Waitrose and M+S. By charging expensive prices, it adds to the air of quality. VW do the same. The cars are horrendously expensive for what they are and it gives the illusion of quality.

It's all in the marketing. Of course, if I'm ever in Canada I might treat myself. Until then, I'll spend my £400 on a new guitar, or a tele, or a car.

Ricky 08 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

I got an Arcteryx Chalk Bag for Crimble. At last I can say I'm a REAL climber !!
 Wilbur 08 Jan 2007

Needlesports in January clearout last year
 MRJ 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Wilbur:
For everyone that doesn't know the master technique of getting stuff cheap on the net, including arc'teryx gear, you simply do a google search for coupon or discount codes for you chosen shop. buy from U.S. shops due to the strong pound for an even better deal.
E.G. a google search for "Backcountry.com discount codes" will bring up codes that will get up to 20% off gear. add that to a strong pound and you have cheap kit.
sites to look out for are backcountry, mountaingear, moosejaw, and REI, along with some others.
Arc'teryx gear is also commonly on www.steepandcheap.com a site with killer deals untill the item sells out, then onto the next item. also check www.thalowdown.com

-Magnus
 MRJ 08 Jan 2007
In reply to MRJ:
for example, go to
http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/search2.asp?SearchResults.SearchHandle=A%3...
to the arc'teryx sale on moosejaw.com, and use the coupon code "supersale" to get an extra 10% off.

There is a thread on rockclimbing.com dedicated to finding "hot deals" on the net.
http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1479166;sb=post_l...

-Magnus
 FreeloaderJoe 08 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: Where can one purchase an arcteryx chalk bag. Noone seems to keep them and being a tart i'd quite like one.
 MRJ 08 Jan 2007
In reply to FreeloaderJoe:
Arc'teryx Epsilon AR jacket on SAC right now, for £40.
I think mountain equipment and backcountry stock the chalk bags.

-Magnus
In reply to TobyA:

I wear jackets out quite rapidly. Schist in particular doesn't agree with my winter coats.

Davie
 SecretSquirrel 08 Jan 2007
In reply to MRJ:
oooh, might have to look up your sites - there's an Arc'teryx jacket that I absolutely love, but no way can I shell out an extra £100 just to get one that looks nice when the mountain equipment one is much the same spec.
 Morgan Woods 08 Jan 2007
In reply to MRJ:

any idea what
- shipping
- insurance
- VAT
and duty
would amount to on a $300 jacket...ie is the VAT calculated before or after duty?
 TRJ 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Eric the Red: VWs don't just give the impression of quality - they ARE quality. Much better built than the equivalent Fords/Vauxhalls/French cars, even if you pay through the nose for it.
 MRJ 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Morgan Woods:
I must admit that I can't accuratly answer your question exactly, I can, however, tell you that I recently bought a rope from www.steepandcheap.com (mammut, 10.5, bi-coloured) the price stated was £45, but shipping was £15. I did not have to pay any taxes when purchasing the product.
I don't know if it different for different stuff, my sister had my arc'teryx jacket shipped to her in the US and brought it over.

-Magnus
 Dale Berry 08 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: I have a couple of Fleece tops from Arc Teryx. Whilst they were a bit more expensive than anything else they fit better than anything else I have tried. The original is still going strong after 6 years+ You get what you pay for IMHO, though you do pay a lot more for seemingly relativly small improvements. As has been said, if I could afford it I'd buy there stuff pretty much everytime because in my experiance its that much better than the rest.
 Laubie 08 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

Aec'teryx is "Outdoor Prada"
In reply to task-o:

Have a look at the label for their more recent soft shells. Quite a lot of them are now made in China.

I don't like their typical 'US' cut; very short body length, intended to be waist-fitting. Since I have a short upper body, what should be the waist sits on my hips. Or, rather, doesn't... It's all a bit 'Stretch Armstrong' cut for me; wedge-shaped superhero stuff.

At least it's not as stupidly priced as Prada or Burton. And it's much more functionally cut...
 MRJ 09 Jan 2007
In reply to captain paranoia:
I think there are more than one type of cut. the cut on the climbing wear goes farther down your waist. This is the one I have, I have a long abdomen and it still fits low and perfect.

-Magnus
Pinky 09 Jan 2007
In reply to Laubie: I would have said Chanel (sp?) NOT Prada. As it is designed to look good, fit well, and made from decent material.

The thing is that I can wear my Arc'teryx jacket to work as it is smart enough and then I can also wear it when I am cragging.

I hate having work clothes, climbing clothes and general clothes. If they are all seperate I would end up spending a fortune so clothes that double up end up being cheaper in the long run (esp if you can buy them in the US and get work friends to bring them back when they are on a business trip ).

Got me thinking, backcountry had some nice jumpers recently .........
Craig in San Diego 26 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

go to the web site listed below;
www.steepandcheap.com
They update usually hourly or less different items that they are trying to blow out of their backcountry.com inventory. You can also instal an RSS reader and as each item goes on sale, a pop up will appear in the lower right of your screen. The main thing is, you will find on occasion deeply discounted Arcteryx, Mountain Hardware, Patagonia among others, including both skiing, snowboarding, and some rock climbing gear. Hope this helps.
Craig in San Diego 26 Jan 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

Oops, looks like you guys already know about Steep and Cheap. Sorry about that, Good luck.
 HeMa 26 Jan 2007
In reply to Craig in San Diego:

Sadly you get bu*tra*ed by 1st the shipping (~50 bucks to ship a pair of sandals #¤%#¤&%¤) and tehn you have to deal with Customs and VAT... Unless you're really lucky and the bargain is really steep, SAC purchases may end up costing more than if you had bought locally.
 GarethSL 04 Feb 2007
I personally think that arc'teryx do make the best gear available but this is my own personal view and i'm fully prepared to pay ebay prices for the stuff, arcteryx make other makes such as me mhw rab and tnf look like something my nan would buy from thrifty. Really though the quality is better than any other i'v seen, i would like to whine about the sizing it's obviousley canadian. i used to think the world of berghaus and ME but now im shocked when i go to shops and see just how crap the gear thats made in china is, wooo long live production in canada and lets hope addidas and solomon dont get their way too much with arcteryx.
 climber sim 04 Feb 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: its not expensive, everything else is cheap!
 winter_burn 04 Feb 2007
don't think its all made in canada most is made in china now . i think after Salomon brought the company production switched.
I think its great gear .highly rate the gamma mx
 rock waif 04 Feb 2007
In reply to TRJ:
> (In reply to Eric the Red) VWs don't just give the impression of quality - they ARE quality. Much better built than the equivalent Fords/Vauxhalls/French cars, even if you pay through the nose for it.

Um but you can get much the same car from Seat or Skoda costing a lot less. And getting your Audi or VW serviced by Skoda costs a lot less too.

I think Arcteryx stuff looks great but the fit of fleeces I've tried on just does not really fit me very well. It's odd cos I am normal shaped (I think!). If they looked fantastic, I might consider the price.

Den101 09 Feb 2007
I just bought me a Theta AR XCR jacket from George Fisher for 190 quid which was a pretty good bargain from the 360 rrp. Great quality for sure but definitely not worth the rrp bearing in mind this item was made in China. What obscene profits Arcteryx must now be making! There's no way I'd pay the full price for their gear.

Now I've had a chance to compare i'd still say i'm am a huge fan of Patagonia because from my experience their quality and levels in innovation are as least as good if not more superior. Their rrps are also more justifiable given the company's strong commitment to environmental and social ethics.

If you are lucky enough to find bargain Arcteryx then go for it. Otherwise i'd recommend getting superb Patagonia alternatives often going for a song on Ebay - particularly America's Ebay with our strong pound at the moment you can get fantastic deals shipped over to the UK.
Jon Hemlock 09 Feb 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:

I agree. Surely all that matters is that it functions in the manner you need.

The commoditisation of the climbing market has certainly made stuff prettier, but as far as build quality and durability goes look what happened to the car industry.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...