UKC

Socks worn over boots on Sharp edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ben C 07 Jan 2007
So there we were me the lad and the Oracle from Delphi on Sharp Edge. Me n the lad slapped are crampons for the wet rock, we laughed at the punters on their arses shitting it on the glass. The Oracle comes sauntering along with his argyles pulled tight over his boots gripping perfectly. He said he'd got a surprise for me for the day ! Fantastic i thought and was impressed by how good his footwork with socks were. Those early pioneers got it right alright.
Yrmenlaf 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C:

I've still got a set of tricounis somewhere...

Y.
 nikinko 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C:

still advocated by the lad who wrote the lake district scrambling guide... not had the nerve to try it myself- got my credibility to think about...
 Billy the fish 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:
> (In reply to Ben C)
>
> I've still got a set of tricounis somewhere...

We saw an older gentleman, strolling across ice on top of Helvellyn, without difficulty of crampons. Chatting with him during a lunch stop we commented about the ice, he showed us the sole of his boot - studded with hobnails. They’re still in use and still working extremely well. Now, where have I put my tweeds?
OP Ben C 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Billy the fish: excellent ! with global warming i feel this is the way forward or is it backward !
DeadSquirrel 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C:

I thought this was going to be a headline from the fashion section of the Westmorland Gazette or something...
OP Ben C 07 Jan 2007
In reply to DeadSquirrel:
> (In reply to Ben C)
>
> I thought this was going to be a headline from the fashion section of the Westmorland Gazette or something...

Ah a fellow subscriber ! im getting some badger boots soon
roblo 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C:

Can someone translate this thread from "northern" to English please.

Ta muchly

Rob

:-P
Slugain Howff 07 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C:

Mohair jumpers were once almost in vogue for the additional "adhesion" they offered the aspiring winter hardman. I speak the truth.
 Al Evans 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C: I once did Dovedale Groove in winter, the Groove was fine but the slab after it was covered in verglass, ok if its good enough for Joe and Don its good enough for me. So I took my boots and sox off and replaced with sox over boots, the friction, sox to ice was fantastic, probably easier than normal conditions.
 Andy Say 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C:
Was that really crampons on Sharp Edge because the rock was WET?
Disabuse me!
OP Ben C 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Andy Say: yep you got a problem with that?
 sihills 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C: do u really need to damage the rock by wearing crampons just because its wet???!?! quite pathetic if u ask me. Si
 GrahamD 08 Jan 2007
In reply to sihills:

Troll, by the sounds of it.
 sihills 08 Jan 2007
In reply to GrahamD: why should i be a troll?? im sorry but do you wear crampons everytime the rock gets wet??? just see it as being quite pathetic. Si
 Allan Thomson 08 Jan 2007
In reply to sihills:

Is GrahamD not saying that the OP is a troll & not you???
 sihills 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Allan Thomson: maybe in which case i apologise to graham.
 Dave Stelmach 08 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C: Ideal for climbing Scottish gullies.
 GrahamD 09 Jan 2007
In reply to sihills:

Sorry - wasn't clear. Yes the OP sounds like a Troll and you getting them to go on about crampons on wet rock sort of flushed them out. Either they're a troll or an idiot who probably looked like the biggest punter on the hill that day.
OP Ben C 09 Jan 2007
In reply to sihills:
> (In reply to Ben C) do u really need to damage the rock by wearing crampons just because its wet???!?! quite pathetic if u ask me. Si

say that to me face laddy then well see. im mot trolling it was a lot easier in crampons and good practice for my mate going to the alps next week. i have done the ridge many times in the wet in just boots.
As for damaging the rock, well stop doing all winter ascents cos even with snow n ice on it your still scratching it
OP Ben C 09 Jan 2007
In reply to GrahamD:
> (In reply to sihills)
>
> Sorry - wasn't clear. Yes the OP sounds like a Troll and you getting them to go on about crampons on wet rock sort of flushed them out. Either they're a troll or an idiot who probably looked like the biggest punter on the hill that day.

I never look like a punter and i certainly am no idiot. I will however be wearing socks in the future
 Andy Say 09 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C:
Oh dear! I do hope the boys up at the lodge don't give you any grief in a couple of weeks about your attitude to crampons on summer scrambles - they can be quite hard line about things like that.

Andy Say 09 Jan 2007
In reply to GrahamD:
Previous posts include doing Parson's Nose just before Christmas in crampons because of 'frost'. What bleedin' frost! Pining for ice in the Lakes back in November. And extolling the virtues of climbing ice at Xscape. So maybe not a troll then. What was the other option........?
OP Ben C 09 Jan 2007
In reply to Andy Say: ooh we have been doing some research. i shall ask them next week. you seem a happy chap
OP Ben C 09 Jan 2007
In reply to Andy Say: hmmm i didnt see u on Parsons but u seemed to know what the conditions were ! whats wrong with wanting some ice in the Lakes and trying to keep an ice wall open ? As you have taken it on yourself to call me an idiot I would suggest that you are having some kind of late life crisis due to the anger expressed ? Not gettin enough hey ?
 Andy Say 09 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C:
Nay, lad. I think you'll find it was GrahamD who used the word 'idiot' and sihills who used the word 'pathetic'. Me - I say nothing.

But I'm not sure that wearing crampons on summer scrambles is quite the done thing - the more you use socks in future, the better.
OP Ben C 09 Jan 2007
In reply to Andy Say: Previous posts include doing Parson's Nose just before Christmas in crampons because of 'frost'. What bleedin' frost! Pining for ice in the Lakes back in November. And extolling the virtues of climbing ice at Xscape. So maybe not a troll then. What was the other option........?

So what was the other option you are alluding to here then ?!
Its a summer scramble but also a winter route are a few more scratches going to make any difference ?
I dont make a habit of it but if its easier with...granted on Sharp no great need but on Parsons there was. Will keep doing my thing
In reply to sihills:

I agree with you completely. The idea of anyone going on Parson's Nose with crampons, unless it has a very thick covering of ice - which it never has - is totally repugnant. It's a beautiful rock route, with quite small holds for its grade, and should be respected as such.
OP Ben C 10 Jan 2007
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:
> (In reply to sihills)
>
> I agree with you completely. The idea of anyone going on Parson's Nose with crampons, unless it has a very thick covering of ice - which it never has - is totally repugnant. It's a beautiful rock route, with quite small holds for its grade, and should be respected as such.

Someone else who was there that day I didnt see you. Best stop people doing stuff like Snicker Snack on Gable too.
blurry 10 Jan 2007
In reply to Ben C: haha Ben, hopefully there will be conditions suitable for you to wear crampons next week, otherwise a session of 'dry-cramponing' on the security on steep ground day may raise some smiles with the group if your not happy about wet rocks without your spikes on

See you at the Lodge.
OP Ben C 10 Jan 2007
In reply to blurry: hehe will just get my socks out !! you will look after me and hold my hand ?!

yep see u there

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...