UKC

High sports, Redhill or Crawley?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tonanf 17 Jan 2007
Anyone with experience of these two or either venue pleas advise.
OP tonanf 17 Jan 2007
In reply to tonanf: For lead climbing or sport
Nao 17 Jan 2007
In reply to tonanf:
Just been to High Sports. Which is also known as Redhill. I choose that over Crawley as I prefer it as a venue. I prefer the routes, which seem better - the lead wall at Crawley is impressive height wise but not overly fun. I think there is more variation at Redhill. They've done a fair bit of work lately, getting rid of the central boulder, installing more lead routes and putting more overhangs on the left hand wall.

I generally climb there because going to K2 would involve going to Crawley, which is even worse as a venue than Redhill. And it's a pretty good compromise for my friends - I live closer to K2 and they live closer to Craggy, so when we climb together we climb at Redhill.
mojo 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Nao:

I'd agree with that. HS Salfords/Redhill for me has a better atmosphere than K2, and they've been much more active in recent months at changing routes regularly.

But... for leading, K2 probably has more challenges, simply because of the extra height.
Nao 18 Jan 2007
In reply to mojo:
Where've you been, anyway? Hope you are well! You'll have to come round to ours for our route setting party! (Not for a while yet... got to put the wall up first.)

I did not find K2 that much fun, even though it is much taller. I didn't think the routes were as good as at Redhill. Though Redhill's gone a bit weird lately with the French grades (what's with that?).
Wingman 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Nao:

you went to a wall?!?!!?

I thought you had one in your back garden

and shouldn't you be tending your bfriend or something?! lol
Nao 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Wingman:
Yeah - and no Jonesy in sight! Just me and 2 fellas... how tiresome! I'm rubbish after all the Christmas indulgences though.
Wall's not up yet... will be having party when it is!
moog 18 Jan 2007
In reply to tonanf:
I haven't been to Redhill but K2 has just got a load of new routes.
mojo 18 Jan 2007
In reply to Nao:

Been out for a few weeks with an injured foot, but nothing serious. Hopefully will be at Redhill or K2 next Weds so might see you there.

A route setting party sounds good, hope the invites go out soon...

And agree about the French grades weirdness - did you see that for the first few days they had a survey up on the noticeboard asking which the punters preferred - French or English? Last thing I saw of it was that everyone voted for English, so their response was to take the survey away!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...