UKC

Climbing beginner manchester wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
wherewaterflows 19 Jan 2007
Hello, I want to start climbing, I was wondering what the best way to start would be, without any knowledge of climbing? Would it be possible to meet up with some people at the wall in Manchester and pick the basics up from them, rather than paying lots for a lesson? Thanks
 The Lemming 19 Jan 2007
In reply to wherewaterflows:

You could get a pair of shoes, a chalk bag and just learn to boulder while meeting new people.

Or you could take a basic climbing course. That way you learn new skills and meet people with similar skills and aspirations.
 deepsoup 19 Jan 2007
In reply to The Lemming:
Can you boulder at the MCC without being competent to climb? (Ie: without being able to sign the bit of paper that says you can put on a harness, tie in and belay) At quite a few walls, I don't think that would be an option.

How about finding a club, or failing that trying a post in the lifts/partners section. Or maybe it would be possible to find someone doing their SPA or MIA and looking for a 'client' to practice on.
wherewaterflows 20 Jan 2007
In reply to deepsoup: Thanks for that info, i'll see if i can find anybody interested in meeting up sometime.
 Mike Hartley 20 Jan 2007
In reply to deepsoup:
> (In reply to The Lemming)
> Can you boulder at the MCC without being competent to climb?

Course you can...thats what boulderers are. People who aren't competent to climb who want to house themselves under the "climbing umbrella". It's quite sad really, but because they need no knots, no harness and no real skill, anybody can do it.

Serpico 20 Jan 2007
In reply to Mike Hartley:
Quite desperate to feel special aren't you?
Never mind with quotes like this on your webpage:
"I particularly love solo climbing (unprotected/unroped climbing)...just that feeling you get 50-60foot off the ground and if you slip...you're dead, or severely maimed. It's gives you a rush."
At least your friends will think you're extreme, even if the rest of us still regard you as a wannabe.
 Mike Hartley 21 Jan 2007
In reply to Serpico:

I'm not a wannabe, I just enjoy climbing, in particularly; soloing. Given that I'm quite often out climbing on my lonesome there's not a great deal of option.

Besides, what would I want to feel special on this site for...every tom, dick and harry knows I'm joking about boulderers. I do abit myself...if it's raining or I can't get out.

Define wannabe aswell...at least I'm out there climbing. Which is more than I can say for some folk on this site.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...