UKC

Weekend trip report

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 22 Jan 2007
I've just stuck up some pics and video clips from my trip this past weekend ice climbing to Helvetinjärvi in central Finland on my blog. http://lightfromthenorth.blogspot.com/ If there was a UKC competition for who had the most miserable night camping this weekend would I win? Did anyone manage to get benighted or something and have an even colder saturday night?

Are any other UKC winter climbers putting clips on YouTube? I hadn't realised how easy it was to do until recently. It would be fun to see movie clips from other people's climbs even if they are, like mine, rather pants quality.
In reply to TobyA:

My friend Erick walked into the Ben on Friday night, pitched their tent, settled in for the night, all hell broke loose!

In his boxers, the tent blew down in a fierce wind and rain, gear soaked, were granted a nights accomodation in the CIC, well the poarch anyway!!

Walked out next morning with wet gear.

Stuart
OP TobyA 22 Jan 2007
In reply to Stuart the postie: Did he arrive at the CIC in his boxers?! That sounds pretty miserable.
 CJD 22 Jan 2007
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Friday night down in Glencoe was boggins. It's the first time i've properly thought 'oh lord, I really don't want to be here' whilst camping. My tent shook like a shaky thing in the wind, and the rain lashed with, er, commitment. Rather glad I wasn't higher up.

comiserations to your friend!
OP TobyA 22 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD: But as long as your tent stood up it all good! It just gives you greater confidence in your pitching skills for next time.

I still reckon that getting a tent to survive a storm is 25% tent design and manufacture, 75% experience of the camper. You seen good tents trashed in nasty weather whilst cheapy ones used by 'old hands' weather it OK.
 CJD 22 Jan 2007
In reply to TobyA:

yeah - my tent's a TN Voyager so it's pretty sturdy, but even so, when the wind's battering it and the rain's pouring, whilst I'm glad it's a sturdy tent, there's a certain amount of 'why am I here?' going through my head. Still, it doesn't leak, and it could be worse - like what happened to Stuart's friend... <shivers at the thought>
In reply to TobyA:

He said that's why he was invited in, he's French and quite hansome too!

When he told them he was married, hiding there disapointment, they told him to sleep over there.

Stuart
 JoH - Editor 22 Jan 2007
In reply to TobyA:
> Are any other UKC winter climbers putting clips on YouTube? I hadn't realised how easy it was to do until recently. It would be fun to see movie clips from other people's climbs even if they are, like mine, rather pants quality.

Nope but I'm very glad you did. Excellent fun!!

In reply to Stuart the postie: i was under the impression that cic was full of large beard men, rather than actractive ladies.
OP TobyA 22 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD:
> <shivers at the thought>

I was just shivering generally.

When I got home on sunday night I had a sauna with the missus and I was looking at the thermometre in our sauna and realised that the temperature (85) was 103 degrees different from when I had been camping the night before!

In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

I read somewhere that 1 in 5 men are gay, if the
CIC were full, chances are...........!

From previous threads, you wouldn't be interested in the ladies anyway, you're 17 and prefere climbing hard!

Did you climb the Orion Face this weekend, Point 5 or Minus Three?

Stuart
 Tom Briggs 23 Jan 2007
In reply to TobyA:

Some photos from Stob Coire Nan Lochan, Aonach Mor and winter skills on the Buachaille over the past 3 days:

http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/exp/gallery.html?latest=1

Yes I know it's gone 2 in the morning, but the 7 hour drive back to Sheffield does leave you feeling somewhat wired!
OP TobyA 23 Jan 2007
In reply to Tom, UKC News Editor: That second pitch of Scabbard is nice isn't it? Steep, long and good climbing but plentiful gear so you can really enjoy it. The crux is fun as well, but its all over pretty quickly.
 Jimmy D 23 Jan 2007
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Stuart the postie) Did he arrive at the CIC in his boxers?! That sounds pretty miserable.

Good god yes. I was one of the people in the hut. Never been so glad to be in a sturdy stone building, sleeping next to a roaring fire, rather than a tent . The wind was fearsome - so bad in fact that it blew the wind turbine off the roof!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...