UKC

Valentines Day Card Help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Wood 31 Jan 2007
Ok,

So, I met this girl and have a date with her on 17 Feb in that London. Have procured Choccies from posh shop in harrogate and have arranged to send same plus card to her work assistant, plan being that they get magically appear on her desk on V day thus procuring a projected 100 million brownie points in advance of said date.

Now looking for a card. What normally goes down well is a white one with bits of fabric and dried flowers stuck on the top. This year I can't find one anywhere. Have they gone out of fashion or something? where can I procure a suitably impressive yet understated card in the yorkshire area.

and no, I can't make one. I'm rubbish.

Help needed. Thanks all.
Bingly Bong 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood: Cant help you, but Im going to publicly announce my address in the hope that I receive just one card this year...

Marc C 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood: Well if you don't need it till later on V Day, I can let you have a pretty one from the hundreds I usually receive.
 Glyn Jones 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Bingly Bong: not from me - remember - you are off the card list!
 Glyn Jones 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Marc C: Darren is such a sweetie to you
Simon22 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:

Your first date is on the 17 Feb and you are doing all this!!! Keen aint the word.......

I'll knock you a nice card up from my Yorkshire home.
 Marc C 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones: No, not Darren. My Mum
 Mita 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Marc C:
I can let you have a pretty one from the hundreds I usually receive.

The rain forest will be gone and Royal Mail will have to add extra services with the amount I'll receive.... NOT
 tlm 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:

If you've only just met her, how do you know what sort of valantine's day card would go down well with her? Or are you simply assuming that all women are the same?
OP John Wood 31 Jan 2007
In reply to tlm:

Obviously I wouldn't presume that all women are the same but equally I've no way of knowing what kind of card will go down well with her (like the turn of phrase btw).

In the absence of information I just use what's worked every other time.

I'm assuming that as long as its tastful, any card will be better than no card. If I get to know her better I will be in a position to fine tune her card requirements.

Given that I met her pretty recently, will be avoiding cards with the word "love" on them. Also no funny cards. Can't go far than wrong with that can I?
Yrmenlaf 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:

I would look somewhere like an art shop or a museum shop for an unusual card

Garden Centres can be good

Don't forget to look under "Blank with space for your own message"

Y.
 tommyzero 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:
> Ok,
>
> So, I met this girl and have a date with her on 17 Feb in that London. Have procured Choccies from posh shop in harrogate.

The best help we can give you is not to tell you where to get a card from. But to make you think a bit about what you are doing.

Here is my premise.

A. We assume this is a very new relationship. Possibly a second date?
B. That you like her lots otherwise you wouldn't be going to so much effort?

So. I reckon that posh chocolates and a card that says 'in the absence of information I just use what's worked every other time' is the wrong way to go about this. It's formulaic. Way too formulaic. And maybe a bit OTT for this early on? Unless you asure that this is the real thing and if you don't speak this undying love you will loose her.

But use your judgement a bit. What do you think she will like? It can't be that hard can it? Get her something really different. It will show you've taken some time to think about her instead of going for the tried and tested, most boring cliche in the book. Some women hate flowers and cards.

I'm not exactly Barry White. But I reckon you can't treat everybody in the same way - or the flip side of that is that everybody wants to be treated differently and with something personal and special. That will speak for itself when she sees that you spent some time on her.

Good luck.

Message ends.
 tlm 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:

> (like the turn of phrase btw).

I should hope so. It was your turn of phrase....

Marc C 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Mita:
> The rain forest will be gone and Royal Mail will have to add extra services with the amount I'll receive >

That's nothing. My postman goes into weight-training every January - lifting bags of concrete on his back - just to get in readiness for the weight of his ValDay's sack (why does that sound slightly naughty?). Last year he had to take 2 months off with a slipped disc. I've emailed Tiggs, Rosie, Sandrine et al (that's et 'al' not 'Al' as in Evans) begging them to stop bombarding me.

Bingly Bong 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Marc C:
> (In reply to Mita)
> [...]
>
> That's nothing. My postman goes into weight-training every January - lifting bags of concrete on his back - just to get in readiness for the weight of his ValDay's sack (why does that sound slightly naughty?). Last year he had to take 2 months off with a slipped disc. I've emailed Tiggs, Rosie, Sandrine et al (that's et 'al' not 'Al' as in Evans) begging them to stop bombarding me.

You don't mind being bombarded by cards from Al then?
OP John Wood 31 Jan 2007
In reply to tommyzero:

Ok,

17 Feb will be first date, first time we met we had a dance and a snog and have been emailing/texting/phoning since then and building up a bit of rapport and flirting.

She has mentioned that valentines day in the office would be a bit depressing if she's the only girl without a card.

So, whilst I agree that massive grand gestures are out, I reckon marking the occasion with a bit of effort is the way forward. Have gone for a small box of posh chocs rather and am generally looking for something relatively understated in terms of a card.

Also aren't valentines day cards supposed to be sent to people you're interested in? Rather than for people in relationships to prove they can diarise?
OP John Wood 31 Jan 2007
In reply to tlm:

So it was, will have to have words with my subconsious...
 CJD 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:

oh I think it all sounds quite exciting!

but I agree about getting her a blank card that isn't a super fluffy valentines one. You want to write *your* feelings, not what Hallmark think you should say, right?

please keep us posted.
 Mr Ed 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:

Anyone else noticed that Valentines day when shortened goes to VD day?

Maybe we could have a combined GUM day or an STD day on V day. Would certainly raise awareness!

Marc C 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Bingly Bong: A hombre can get very lonely out there in Spain, amigo!
OP John Wood 31 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD:

Card will read "from your northern admirer x"

No teddies holding hands, no "i love you" no smut, no jokes.

I reckon I'm fairly safe with that...
 CJD 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:

no smut?

are you *mad*?

lol
Simon22 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
>
> Card will read "from your northern admirer x"

Stick a photo of yourself in a leopard skin thong and gimp mask (to hide your identity) beneath it and you'll be onto a winner..............
In reply to John Wood:
> (In reply to CJD)
>
>
> Card will read "from your northern admirer x"
>
> No teddies holding hands, no "i love you" no smut, no jokes.
>
> I reckon I'm fairly safe with that...

Safe, are you off your head, women like a bit of smut and you want a shag!

You are coming across as new to this game, virgin?

Castleman 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:

Bit early to be worrying about that!
Anonymous 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood: Get a really funny one.

Always worked for me, stronger attracted to those that can make me laugh, it means if you end up together you're more likely to have a laugh than cry (don't you think?)
OP John Wood 31 Jan 2007
In reply to CJD:

mmmm

how about,

"from your northern admirer,

hoping to see a lot more of you in the near future"

I reckon the card should be showable offable to the girls at her office so I'm leaning towards nice, rather than naughty.

Nao 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:
> She has mentioned that valentines day in the office would be a bit depressing if she's the only girl without a card.

In other words, she ordered you to get her a card!

I would just not send her one, to keep her on her toes.

By the time 5 o'clock rolls round, she'll be desperate and chuffed to bits when you turn up with a rose clenched in your teeth.
OP John Wood 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Nao:

She kind of drifted off into a bit of a monologue then stopped herself, perhaps she thought she was being a bit obvious.

Of course she'll think that she's not got one until the assistant sneaks card on desk.

Just turning up would be a bit weird seeing as I'm in Leeds and she's in that London.

Of course if she's just going to tell me what to do all the time - great, means I have to spend less time guessing.

Nao 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:

You do know that V-day's an absolute guaranteed putting-out night? And you're going to be in Leeds?

You need to rethink your plan, John-boy!
Chris Tan.Clone II 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood:

Send her one of these http://www.cutestuf.com/new/dirty_dancin_vday.cfm

</noisy>
Anonymous 31 Jan 2007
In reply to John Wood: I remember one I bought once, so funny..

MY darling I miss you so much...

and then you open it..

"like a hole in the head"
OP John Wood 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Nao:

Ha, I could in theory do both...

However, I think I will concentrate on the girl I like rather than random possiblities.

Also a cynic might say that in Leeds, every night is guaranteed putting out night!
Yrmenlaf 31 Jan 2007
In reply to Nao:

The rub is he might decide to hot foot it down to London and meet her outside her office with the rose.

She, meanwhile, is outside his office in Leeds.....

How practical would an Interflora delivery to the office be?

Y.
 AlisonSmiles 01 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:
>
> Of course if she's just going to tell me what to do all the time - great, means I have to spend less time guessing.

Do men really think like this? Or are you just weird? I'm curious.
OP John Wood 01 Feb 2007
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

or I could be not being entirely serious...
OP John Wood 01 Feb 2007
In reply to Yrmenlaf:

Could do inter-flora but think that would be OTT at this stage. Given the amount I'd have to spend on flowers at valentines day, I think this could be construed as trying to buy affection (on valentines day Inter Flora puts on its mask, dusts of its flintlock pistol and climbs on its really fast horse.
 AlisonSmiles 01 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:

> or I could be not being entirely serious...

I kind of got it was tongue in cheek ...
OP John Wood 01 Feb 2007
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

Opps sorry,

Also I'm not weird, at worst I am a bit "special"
 AlisonSmiles 01 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:

> Also I'm not weird, at worst I am a bit "special"

They all say that.

TDT 01 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:
moonpig.com mighnt have some?
 tlm 05 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:

I saw some in Waitrose (which is John Lewis).
OP John Wood 05 Feb 2007
In reply to tlm:

thanks, but I don't have esay access to Waitrose or JL, have gone for a simple white cross with a red x on it, that sort of folds out. Fingers crossed!
Rosie A 05 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:
> (In reply to tlm)
>
> thanks, but I don't have esay access to Waitrose or JL, have gone for a simple white cross with a red x on it, that sort of folds out. Fingers crossed!

Errr... that sounds vaguely funereal.

OP John Wood 05 Feb 2007
In reply to Rosie A:

its a big red kiss type cross in designie stylitic kind of way and not in any way funerally whatsoever. So there. <sticks out toungue>
 sutty 05 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:

Ha ha ha, when the world cup was on the funeral directors window had lots of red crosses and flags in.
violentViolet 05 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:

The Artspace in York just opposite Cliffords Tower has very nice ones, nothing mass produced either. And it's not too far from Harrogate I guess. And it's open until late.

http://www.theartspaceyork.com/
Rosie A 05 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:

Have to admit I'd be a happy with a wreath, better than nowt eh?

;¬)
 nikinko 05 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:

Woolworths? That's where I got mine from earlier.

N

nikinko 05 Feb 2007
In reply to nikinko:

ps- 'mine' being one to send to my partner, not one to send to myself obviously!
Rosie A 05 Feb 2007
In reply to nikinko:
> (In reply to nikinko)
>
> ps- 'mine' being one to send to my partner, not one to send to myself obviously!

There's a thought!

nikinko 05 Feb 2007
In reply to Rosie A:
> (In reply to nikinko)
> [...]
>
> There's a thought!

I always get loads of cards around valentines day so have never had to send one to myself

coz it's my birthday 3 days before.
OP John Wood 06 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:

Card is picked. Apparently it's a card of death but i'm going to risk it. Got a text the object of my affections last night, apparently she misses me. Today I shall mostly be grinning.

Rosie A 06 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:

Awww sweet. You sound lovely, I'm sure she'll appreciate the ... er... sentiment. ;¬)
 nikinko 06 Feb 2007
In reply to John Wood:
> (In reply to John Wood)
> Got a text the object of my affections last night, apparently she misses me. Today I shall mostly be grinning.

awwww. young love!

Twinkle 06 Feb 2007
In reply to nikinko:
> (In reply to John Wood)
> [...]
>
>
> awwww. young love!

Give him a couple of months he'll be rolling his eyes down the pub with his mates and calling her the Missus!

Actually, six weeks.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...