UKC

What solution to wash blood on Gore Tex, slings, gloves

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Laubie 05 Feb 2007
Any thoughts on best solution to wash blood out of climbing gear. Especially slings/draws. I guess windproofs I can just use normal soapy water?
 richprideaux 05 Feb 2007
In reply to Laubie:
Had a bad weekend?
OP Laubie 05 Feb 2007
In reply to shingsowa:

Has a lovely weekend! Near the top of Zero a piece of ice reshaped my ace and nose slightly. This resulted in a waterfall pouring down the ice and everything I was wearing...
 richprideaux 05 Feb 2007
In reply to Laubie:
Sorry, can't help with the blood stains but at least they make you look hardcore...
moomin 05 Feb 2007
In reply to Laubie:

Soak in cold, salty water to get the stains out, then wash in soapy water.

Soap as in soap flakes though, not detergent like washing up liquid / shampoo / laundry powder.

Although you could wash in detergent, and then wash in soap to get the detergent out.

Or just use techwash.
OP Laubie 05 Feb 2007
In reply to moomin:

Why soap flakes and not washing up liquid?
Many thanks
moomin 05 Feb 2007
In reply to Laubie:

For things like windproofs, and anything with a membrane, detergent blocks the holes in the membrane, so it doesn't work properly.

Soap is more gentle, so any gear I'd just treat the same, and wash as gently as possible, so as not to cause any damage to the fibres.

I guss with slings and stuff is doesn't matter quite so much, but a) I'd prefer not to take and chances and b) a packet of soap flakes only costs about 99p, so is probably the cheapest option too.
Cats 05 Feb 2007
In reply to Laubie:

For the slings, biological washing powder and rinse really well in warm water. Possibly a go through the delicate cycle in the machine might help as well.
 hamsforlegs 05 Feb 2007
In reply to moomin:

Detergent also stops the DWR coating from working. The membrane will still keep you dry, but you'll end up with soggy, heavy face fabric.

As you say, a wash in soap would restore, and probably a re-treatment with eg. Nikwax waterproofing etc.

Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...