UKC

How many krabs do you take?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wilbur 07 Feb 2007
Me - 5.

Big'un for clove hitch's (Boa).
1 sentinel to belay.
3 sentinels for 3 anchor points.

Do you reckon i can lose one for one of the anchors and assume i'll always have a couple of wiregates hanging around to oppose?!

bored and thinking of ways to save weight for this season!!
 Oli 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Wilbur: Just clip the individual anchor points with quickdraws, or single snapgates. Unless the gates are likely to be opened.
OP Wilbur 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Oli:

i prefer to oppose em. how many krabs do you take?
 Oli 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Wilbur: For singlepitch. One for a belay plate, one on a big sling and sometimes one other. I use the one that the big sling is on to clove hitch stuff to my harness.

You have 3 anchor points for redundancy, so I don't see why using a single snapgate on each is an issue. Unless as I previously said, the gate is likely to be opened on something.
 MRJ 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Wilbur:
Depends on whats at the top!
A few small trees? I'll bring the req. number of slings with screwgates to match. One bomber tree, right by the edge? some tat, no binders needed.
Multipitch? I might take some tat for equalising, but probobly just a cuopla 120 slings and one spare biner, for an equalisation point.

-Magnus
 Martin W 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Wilbur: This Andy Kirkpatrick article may be of interest: http://www.psychovertical.com/?screwgatecarry
 adam carless 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Wilbur:

I take a couple of HMSs and a couple of normal screwgates. Maybe an extra screwgate if I think I'll use a sling on the route. But then I'm usually happy to delay off two bomber anchors.

I'm sure Oli is right that snapgates are safe enough at the belay anchors most of the time, but I use screwgates or doubled snapgates where possible. It's what I was taught and it soothes my paranoia. Surely the weight of an extra screwgate or two isn't that important?
OP Wilbur 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Martin W:

cheers seems he takes 3

maybe i'll cut it down to 1 big'un and 3 little un's...
 Justin T 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Wilbur:

Edelrid golden gate screwgates. They weigh in at 45g, 24x8x8 kN, so you can use them for example to rack slings on your harness for practically the same weight as wiregates and you'll never run out of screwgates when you need one.

I should get commission.
OP Wilbur 07 Feb 2007
In reply to quadmyre:

my sentinels are only 52 grammes though!!

but thanks for replying...
Yorkspud 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Wilbur:

Sentinels?
 co1ps 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Wilbur: 12 quickdraws for the bolts, and a cows tail with two screwgates for the lower off. Nuff said
 nz Cragrat 07 Feb 2007
In reply to Wilbur:

Wilbur as has been mentioned before

In a multi point anchor system especially when your weight is on it there is virtually no movement in the system. Therefore the 'biners will stay roughly where you put them. You don't NEED to use screw gates in the anchor except at the master/focal point. If you are trying to save weight then opposed 'biners is just more weight.
You would only need lockers when the gate could be opened against the rock.
OP Wilbur 08 Feb 2007
In reply to nz Cragrat:

cheers - good point about not needing opposed ones if stable set-up. i'm def going to drop one...
OP Wilbur 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:
> (In reply to Wilbur)
>
> Sentinels?

DMM Sentinel...

http://www.rockrun.com/shop/prod.html?d=17&t=153&p=2796&sid=3d2...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...