UKC

Kinder Downfall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Alison Parker 08 Feb 2007
You know what I'm going to ask - any beta on the conditions? All the snow in Leeds is melting so I'm not too hopeful!
 The Bantam 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Alison Parker:
> You know what I'm going to ask - any beta on the conditions? All the snow in Leeds is melting so I'm not too hopeful!

Depressing isn;t it - had my heart set on a winter ascent of Meanwood Beck this weekend...
 Bokonon 08 Feb 2007

A friend of mine climbed this the othedr day, he took his top off to keep it dry and says that the stream is mighty cold this time of year, but the rock is grippy enough.
Simon22 08 Feb 2007
In reply to The Bantam:

Sounds adventurous, be hard to dodge all those shopping trolley's, tyres and various other crap that gets slung in it.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Bokonon:

i did indeed,

it was chilly, but not cold enough to put you off doing it adn gettign wet, though the forcast is for mighty cold up there at the moment so you might be in luck if you get tehre before the crowds
martin k 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Alison Parker: there was five inches of snow on the ground in chinley when i left this morning...and it was snowing heavily.

a few more days of this , a thaw, and then a freeze and you'll have something to climb.
Little Cub 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Alison Parker: Probably shouldn't say this, coz I'm not the earliest of morning risers, but based on local conditions and frosts, etc, we reckon that it's gonna be worth a trudge up there at the weekend. No promises, but worth a look - that is if it isn't 0% visibility and "wintery showers" up there anyway... Depends what happens in the next couple of days but it's been blinking cold mornings/nights in the valleys - today's been much warmer once it's snowed but they predict another cold night (sticks nose out of front door - believe it when it happens, but I can't see a blinking thing coz it's kinda thick foggy stuff).
 pwickens 09 Feb 2007
Just got back from climbing the DF today. Wind is blowing the water all over the right hand side, so it may improve overnight if temps stay low. The right wall has about 2" ice on it (no gear!); we climbed the corner (rock protection is possible) which was thin and very interesting, then scooted left straight through the upper waterfall (around it was well iced up, but extremely wet - there's a LOT of very cold water coming down!), followed by a few thin moves to exit. We came away drenched, but loved it. Certainly not the best nick I've seen it in, but it was unique we had it to ourselves (except for the 3 guys from Loughborough who were pottering around for a short while when we arrived).

The vague gullies on the right had nothing in at all. The small gully on the left looked to have some ice near the top.

I wouldn't bother if you are coming far as I think it will remain marginal in the now milder conditions. If you do, bring a rubber suit to stay dry...
Aleister Crowley 10 Feb 2007
In reply to martin k: There was a bare trickle coming over the lip of the Downfall last weekend
 Niall 10 Feb 2007

I'd be wary of climbing anywhere that has the word 'Downfall' in its name

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...