UKC

Polartec (differences)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 martin s 11 Feb 2007
I need a bit of info about "Polartec" !
Very basically, whats the differences between "100", "200", and "300" etc?
I presume it must be the "weight" or "warmth" values ?????????
 MRJ 11 Feb 2007
In reply to martin s:
A question I was about to ask.
Whilst on the subject, what is patgonias R1/R2 etc. fleeces stand for?

-Magnus
In reply to martin s: Weights. then you get different types, i.e. windstopper, thermal, etc.
In reply to MRJ: R stands for regulator.

R1 and 0.5 is polartec powerdry. stretchy and warm when wet.

R2 and 3 is polartec thermalpro. more like buffalo pile
noxious 11 Feb 2007
In reply to martin s:

www.polartec.com says...

Polartec Classic products are available in a range of weights to provide the right level of insulation for most outdoor activities. Polartec Classic 100 weight fabrics are the lightest and are excellent for a warm first layer or lightweight sweater. Polartec Classic 300 fabrics are the heaviest and provide a warm thermal layer for very cold outdoor activities. Halfway in between are Polartec Classic 200 weight fabrics, providing outstanding warmth and versatility.

Thermal Pro fabrics are the most visually dynamic and technically advanced of the Polartec insulation fabrics. The 100% polyester velour, pebbled, or shearling surfaces create air pockets that trap air and retain body heat, providing outstanding warmth without weight. These fabrics offer excellent breathability and dry quickly.

Thermal Pro High-Loft offers exceptional compressibility - up to 40% more than standard fleece.

I've got a Thermal Pro top and it is bloody warm. Need a windproof in the slightest breeze, though!
OP martin s 12 Feb 2007
In reply to noxious: Thanks a lot guys.Martin.
Gazza 12 Feb 2007
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: I thought R1 was Powerstretch, 0.5 Powerdry???
 gear boy 12 Feb 2007
In reply to martin s: remember the weights are for a textile metre, not 1m x 1m
 gear boy 12 Feb 2007
In reply to MRJ: patagonia are too cool to use standard polartec names!
regulator fleeces vary, but 0.5 was a lite powerstretch grid, i think now called capilene 4
R1 powerstretch grid
R2 thin version of thermal pro loft
R3 thermal pro hi loft
R4 windproof thermal pro loft (replace old retro x)
Gazza 13 Feb 2007
In reply to gear boy: Patagonia came up with the designs. I think they are initially granted sole use, then Polartec get to brand them under their own names, I think. My new R2 has a polartec label inside, but my original did not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...