UKC

Vegitarian Valentines suggestions?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
matnoo 12 Feb 2007

I cook for my girlfriend quite regularly, shes a veggie, and now since last month so am I.

Im looking for somthing realy tasty to cook her on valentines day, something out of the ordinary, maybe even a few courses as long as at least one is something that doesnt need cooking (salad or something), so im not running round like a headless chicken between courses.

Any suggestions?

Oh and she doesnt like mushrooms or olives.

Her favourite is apple pie, so I think thats a dead cert for pudding, gonna make one before hand.

Mat

Nao 12 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo:
I like cheese souffle - it's dead easy but it looks pretty impressive. That and green salad means that you don't feel sluggish by the time proper dessert comes round!

If you do cheese souffle all the time though I guess it wouldn't be that special. My bloke was impressed though!
fiend$ish 12 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo:

Vegetarian moussaka. Yum!
 dread-i 12 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo:
I've made mozzarella love hearts in bread crumbs before.

Cut heart shapes out of a big block of mozz, dip in beaten egg, dip in bread crumbs (put some toast without crusts in a blender to make bread crumbs), dip in egg again, then back in bread crumbs.

Fry for 1 min or so each side in hot pan, so it goes crunchy but cheese doesnt melt. Serve as a starter with a salad and some cranbery sauce or strawberry jam.

Fiddly, but you can do most if it before hand.
rich 12 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo: one way to mrs rich's (vegan) heart is home made onion bahjis (sp?) - we use sweet chilli sauce for dipping but a yoghurty thing would also be good

bit of a faff cooked live but you can keep them warm

remember: think valentines - think finger food

Nao 12 Feb 2007
In reply to dread-i:
Ooh, that's a good idea! That sounds really good. I prefer brie/camembert though...
 Mita 12 Feb 2007
In reply to dread-i: If they are veggies, would they eat egg?
Nao 12 Feb 2007
In reply to Mita:
Yeah, it's vegans who don't eat eggs. As far as I know.
I even know 'veggies' who eat fish. Which seems like cheating to me!
Allister Clark 12 Feb 2007
In reply to Nao: anyone who eats anything that had a face is not a veggie!
Nao 12 Feb 2007
In reply to Allister Clark:
Umm, yeah. But eggs don't have faces... do they?
(And following on from that, presumably caviar doesn't have a face?)
 Mita 12 Feb 2007
In reply to Allister Clark: Would you say that eating egg would be wrong as it would eventually have a face?
 BelleVedere 12 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo:

Roast cheese - get one in a wooden container and roast it in that. Then things to dip in it or nice bread. Also good with chutney/red onion marmalade.
 BelleVedere 12 Feb 2007
In reply to es:

I was going to suggest instead of doing crispy duck pancakes, to do the same with wil mushrooms, but mushrooms are a no.

Maybe the same with marinated aubergines...
matnoo 12 Feb 2007
In reply to Mita:
> (In reply to Allister Clark) Would you say that eating egg would be wrong as it would eventually have a face?

No no, eggs in the supermarket dont become chickens, as theyre not fertilized. What we eat is effectively the chickens period. Nice.

Mat
Cats 12 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo:

Does she like chocolate? If so, how about a chocolate pudding? Or maybe some really scrumptious chocolates to eat with her coffee after the apple pie.

Maybe crudites with homemade mayonnaise for a starter and both the veggies and mayo can be made earlier in the day and kept covered in the fridge.

Then maybe something like a cheese & leek flan with a light salad.
 Glyn Jones 12 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo: A really big steak, followed by black pudding - laaaarvly!
 jonnie3430 12 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo: Was shown this the other day, its mega!
Cut an avocado in half, take the stone out and fill the gap with a 50/50 mix of balsamic vinegar and olive oil(it will separate naturally, don't try to mix it!) When you eat, just get an edge of the oil and vinegar and enjoy!
Easy starter, vegetarian and tasty!

For a main I'd go for pasta with sauce, add tofu or quorn if she eats it, nice and simple and light, goes with the avocado.

For pudding get two portions of vanilla ice cream and two slices of extra gooey chocolate cake, mash together and serve!!!!!!!! Easily indulgent and can be focused onto any favourites of your chick, (strawberry cake, etc...)
brothersoulshine 12 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo:
> (In reply to Mita)
> [...]
>
> No no, eggs in the supermarket dont become chickens, as theyre not fertilized. What we eat is effectively the chickens period. Nice.

Actually, my understanding is that some of them are fertilised, unless you're talking about battery eggs, but what vegetarian would eat them? With free range or organic production they tend to keep a few roosters around to keep the lady chickens in line. It makes them less likely to peck each other.
 Dave Garnett 13 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo:

A dozen crispy red roses?
 Glyn Jones 13 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo: So she doesn't eat pork?

Hmm, that removes another suggestion.
 TN 13 Feb 2007
In reply to fiend$ish:
> (In reply to matnoo)
>
> Vegetarian moussaka. Yum!

Very nice.

Or melenzane parmigiana (or however it's spelt).
Aubergine, tomatoes and cheeses, basically. Served with some nice warm bread for all that saucy sauce. Fantastic. <slobber>
 Wonrek 13 Feb 2007
In reply to Glyn Jones:
> (In reply to matnoo) So she doesn't eat pork?

Well a big fat sausage isn't on the menu then.

Veggie sausages don't have quite the same 'consistency' as a hot meaty one.

Cx

TN 13 Feb 2007
In reply to matnoo:

Look up Delias Roasted and sun-dred Tomato risotto. It's fantastic, is the easiest risotto in the world to make (after the initial preparation it's cooked in the oven!!) and it's really nice.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...