UKC

climbing with joe brown and don whillans

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
lindseyw 19 Feb 2007
I am trying to trace anyone that climbed in the lakes in the 1960's with the aforementioned legends.
lindseyw 20 Feb 2007
In reply to lindseyw: any members of the manchester gritstones or the rock and ice club out there from the mid sixties?????
 Skyfall 20 Feb 2007
In reply to lindseyw:

they're all in bed...
lindseyw 20 Feb 2007
In reply to JonC: or dead!!!!!!
J1234 20 Feb 2007
In reply to lindseyw:
Why?
lindseyw 20 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234: You're nosey
In reply to lindseyw: That'll get you lots of responses!
PD 20 Feb 2007
In reply to lindseyw: Try Ray Greenhall, used to work at Oggy Cottage, Wales (Dave Jones place)..Ray was part of the Rock and Ice..
I climbed with Ray late 80's early 90's in N.Wales and Chamonix, lots of good tales to be told.
Might be worth giving Ogwen Cottage a call, see if he is still there, contact details, etc!
Yorkspud 20 Feb 2007
In reply to lindseyw:

Brown and Whillans are/were both hydrophobic and never climbed in lakes.
 Norrie Muir 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:
> (In reply to lindseyw)
>
> Brown and Whillans are/were both hydrophobic and never climbed in lakes.

Rubbish. Brown did the 3rd ascent of Kipling Grooves.
J1234 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
Did you miss Yorkspuds joke, or am I missing yours?
In reply to Yorkspud:

Granted they didn't venture to the Lakes very often, but when they did it was generally to good effect.

Triermain Eliminate, Dovedale Groove were Whillans and Brown creations of the 50's, DG waiting well over a decade for a second ascent - whilst Whillans did Extol in 1960, and the girdle on Deer Bield Buttress.
 sutty 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

Did DG on June 6, 1962, 9 years after FA, not 10.
 Norrie Muir 20 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir)
> Did you miss Yorkspuds joke, or am I missing yours?

My post was to Yorkspuds, not to you. So, do you want me to write a 5000 word essay to explain my post to him?
IbexJim 20 Feb 2007
In reply to PD:
also Don Roscoe, who did a lot - very nice guy.
In reply to sutty:

Ah -- misread my FRCC guide history

-- Respect!!!
J1234 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
Only if it`s not too much trouble.
 Norrie Muir 20 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234:
> Only if it`s not too much trouble.

Nothing is not too much for you.
Yorkspud 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:

Chaps, please......it was just a wet joke.
J1234 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Yorkspud:
Did you hear the one about the Yorkshireman, Lancastrian and the Scotsman.
The Yorkshireman told a joke, which the Scotsman did`nt get and then fell out with the Lancastrian who was rolling about laughing
Clauso 20 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234:

I remember when all this was fields...
 Norrie Muir 20 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234:
> (In reply to Yorkspud)
> Did you hear the one about the Yorkshireman, Lancastrian and the Scotsman.
> The Yorkshireman told a joke, which the Scotsman did`nt get and then fell out with the Lancastrian who was rolling about laughing

Yorkspud knows his climbing, unlike you, so you think what you like. Of the 3 of us, you are the joke.
J1234 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
True I`ve a lot to learn about climbing, but thats were the pleasure is.
I was chatting to a bloke at Brimham who`d climbed for over 50 years and he asked me if i`d been there before and I told him as I`m so new to climbing it was all new to me and he just looked a bit wistful and said something to the effect that he wished could say that.
Think about it Norrie, all those climbs and places that are new to me
 Norrie Muir 20 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234:
> I was chatting to a bloke at Brimham who`d climbed for over 50 years and he asked me if i`d been there before and I told him as I`m so new to climbing it was all new to me and he just looked a bit wistful and said something to the effect that he wished could say that.
> Think about it Norrie, all those climbs and places that are new to me

I have not had 50 years climbing experience, only 40 years. This winter my climbing partner and myself did a new 200m winter route on a crag that had no routes on it. When I get excited with a quarry, that is the day I stop climbing, think about that.
J1234 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
In reply to Norrie Muir:
> (In reply to bedspring)
> [...]
>
> When I get excited with a quarry, that is the day I stop climbing, think about that.

How sad.
My first VS5a in a Quarry, yes I was excited.
My view of climbing is no matter what your experience if it makes you smile it must be good, be it a Mod in a Quarry or Soloing Everest.
You seem to think unless it fits in with your idea of climbing it`s not valid and I think your poorer for it.
Back on thread I think Don did a few quarry routes, in fact as he only lived a quarter of a mile from me, probably the same quarries.
In reply to J1234:

Norrie's not sad. He's been around long enough not to get excited about quarries - and I can empathise with him.

I can sympathise with you, as I'm now a resident of Lancashire, where there's precious little other than scruffy quarries to climb on -- but I see you get up to the Lakes regularly (and doubtless will venture further north where there are lots of Muirs) to see how fortunate some can be.

(Some quarries may be scruffier than others, as some have pleasant locations and extensive views). Some scruffy quarries have remarkably good routes -- but many others do not.
 Norrie Muir 20 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234:

You do like a joke, are you still rolling about laughing?
J1234 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Lord of Starkness:
Probabilities for this year.
Scafell Buttress
Agags Groove not much for a lot but i`m excited.
A Sea Stack
the Dolomites
My first HVS/E1 in a Quarry???????
and i`d love to winter climb like Norrie but location and family commitments rule that out, but who knows give it a year or 2.
J1234 20 Feb 2007
In reply to Norrie Muir:
No but i`m still smiling.
lindseyw 20 Feb 2007
In reply to J1234: Talk about grumpy old men!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...