/ NEWS: An American Discovers Scottish Winter Delights

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Michael Ryan - on 28 Feb 2007
"At the Winter Meet headquarters at Glenmore Lodge, a government-owned mountaineering center near Aviemore, no snow was in sight.....Die-hard skiers and snowboarders were braving rain and clag, and paying good money, for a lift to strips of snow that would be sneered at during a bad winter in Pennsylvania."

Dougald MacDonald continues at ... http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: "In practice, this meant about 50 feet of steep 5.6-ish rock climbing that was running with water, leading to slushy snow."

Sounds delightful. I think it says much about MacDonald's skills as a journo to have managed to sound so enthused about it. Hopefully he has got up some better stuff as the week has progressed.
Jonah - on 28 Feb 2007
In reply to TobyA: I was on Anarch Mor on, er, Saturday. Two Belgian blokes followed us from Anarch An Nid into the corrie. I wasn't aware that the Intl Meet was on, so I suppose they could have been a part of that. Seemed nice enough, happy to climb on the wet snow and so on.
Norrie Muir - on 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

It is good that American climbers are coming over for the delights of Scottish winter climbing. They have been doing it for a while and long may they keep doing it. Jim Donini came over to Scotland in 1973 and we have a great time, both on and off the hills.
Stac Pollaidh on 28 Feb 2007 - 134.146.13.10 whois?
In reply to TobyA:
Dougald was enjoying pristine ice on Psychedelic (Monday), according to james edward's blog.
John2 - on 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Stac Pollaidh: This was the highlight of the article for me - 'At Glasgow’s Queen Street station, during a long wait for a train, I saw two men in kilts and three in shorts. In February.'
ads.ukclimbing.com
Stac Pollaidh on 28 Feb 2007 - 134.146.13.10 whois?
In reply to John2:
Dougald seems a good sort, and he's got a good blog too which i enjoy reading. http://themountainworld.blogspot.com/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.