UKC

Any preference on sock types?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Ian999 28 Feb 2007
It's about time i got some new socks, for a comming expedition any tips ?
Preferably not second hand smelly ones!
00spaw 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Ian999: you can get a pack of about 12 for £5 at the good old matalan.....perfect.
Ian999 28 Feb 2007
In reply to 00spaw: Although i do not doubt the produce of Matalan, I am refering to socks to wear with my walking boots.
 Glyn Jones 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Ian999: Red is best - with plus fours.
 steve456 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Ian999: I got a pair of 4-season Bridgedale 'Endurance Summits' for Christmas and they are a lot more comfortable than the fairly generic mid-weight socks I usually wear (combination of bridgedale and karrimor ones I think, they all seem to get a bit sweaty and chafey despite all the 'designed for goretex' promises). They're pretty technical with lots of thick panel bits in various places and wooly bits that are nearly impossible to seperate from gaiter velcro. Wore them for a bit of Scottish Winter and they stayed nice and warm in my leather B2s and I tried them out with my 3-season boots in the peaks and they stayed cooler and drier than my thinner '3 season, desinged for gortex' socks.

They're pretty chunky and expensive so probably not too good if you're going anywhere hot or need a dozen pairs. I don't really know anything about sock systems for expeditioney type stuff and I've nothing to compare them with other than my shitty old mid-weight ones but they seem pretty good to me.
 Gav M 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Ian999:

I wuould steer clear of the thick smartwool ones if i were you, get some thorlos instead.

Big Steve 28 Feb 2007
In reply to the real dr gav:
Why dont you like Smartwool socks?
I've used them for a couple of years now and like them, I much prefer them over thorlos or bridgedales
 Mehmet Karatay 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Ian999:

In reply to Ian999:

I use to prefer smartwool socks, but then after getting some random one for Christmas a few years ago realised that there really isn't much difference between different walking socks. Once I actually start doing things I never notice the difference, including when I stop at the end of the day. The only time I notice a difference seems to be when I first put them on.

In my case what I've found more important is replacing them before they get worn down to the treads!

mehmet
 SebCa 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Ian999: i like the brasher ones, only thing is they are £10 a pair, never had any probs tho!
anthonyecc 28 Feb 2007
In reply to Ian999:
Smartwool are far superior to any sock on the market i think. They have around 70% wool content whereas thorlos have nowhere near that. This little nugget of information means that they are more comfortable and due to the way the lining is, it prevents blisters. They don't smell as much as synthetics either!

Stay away from the matalan £5 bargains as they are probably mostly cotton!
BingoBangoBongo 01 Mar 2007
In reply to anthonyecc:
Smartwool are brilliant - they are comfortable, keep your feet warm even when wet, and they don't smell! One of the outdoor mags did a test on them a while back and after 5 consecutive day's wear they still didn't pong excessively.
And you can get them in several different configurations of thickness.
No contest.
 gear boy 01 Mar 2007
In reply to anthonyecc: smartwool are good, but are not far superior,
the difference in wool content in thorlo varies according to model, this is because they use synthetic fibres just like in a wicking t shirt, but in thorlo mtn socks they use lots of wool for insulation,
smartwool are obviously merino which is nice but is less durable than other wool to abrasion from the boot, bridgedale make durable socks, and do good summer light socks too, using synthetic blend

for summer light and trainer use i like bridgedale
midweight i like thorlo light hiker or lambswool blend light hiker
for winter i like smartwool and extremities( made by someone else obviously) favourite mtn sock ever was a patagonia one from about 8 years ago before they changed, most durable comfy mtn sock i ever had
 gear boy 01 Mar 2007
In reply to BingoBangoBongo:
> One of the outdoor mags did a test on them a while back and after 5 consecutive day's wear they still didn't pong excessively.

natural occurence of merino wool

not a smartwool only amazing technology, just sheep

using synthetic fibres like thorlo and bridgedale do will increase pong but also increases durability

Ian999 03 Mar 2007
In reply to gear boy:

So in summary if i want durability, get thorlo.

If i don't want smelly socks use smartwool.
 Ian McNeill 03 Mar 2007
In reply to Ian999:

Bridgedales all the way for comfort.

Smartwool not so good
 Hay 05 Mar 2007
In reply to Ian999:
Go onto screwfix.com and look for the seaboot sock.....50% wool 50% polyprop.
They are only one size (about 9) but are great....I graft in them in steelies and use them for winter and summer munro-ing.

Comfy all day, really quick drying and never smell.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...